Sattahip-Rayong-Ban Chang

swissie

On my next trip, I would like to explore the area south and east of Pattaya. Have asked some Pattaya residents, but the comments vary wildly. But I get the following picture:

- Sattahip: Navy-Town with not much to attract a Farang.

- Rayong: Big industrialized city, dirty and smoky.

- Ban Chang: Has appeal to a Farang, = Farang amenities including a modest "Night-Life".

Also: 20 to 30 KM's east of Pattaya, time has not stood still, Villages + Small Towns have sprung up that are not even on official maps (yet).

Clearly: Looking for a place more relaxed than hustle and bustle Pattaya. Pattaya only for occasional visits, but would not want to live there.

Thanks & cheers.

• Like 1

I live in a condo overlooking the beach in Bangchang village and love it here, there is modest nightlife here but also some really great beach side seafood restaurants and a very good English style pub called the Camel with around 10 girly bars in the same street and very good markets, only 40 min from Pattaya via the short cut past the winery and Bhudda mountain and around 30 mins from Rayong for any major shopping

We have a large Tesco with all your day to day needs including electrical and tec, good internet with TOT direct cable to condo

Only a one hour drive to the ferry to Ko Samet island so possible to go for just a day outing and around 4 hr drive to the car ferry for Ko Chang for a longer stay.

The traffic in town is no where near as crazy as Pattaya or Jontiem and easy drive to Bangkok in around 2 hrs

I bought 3 studios on the 4 floor at 45 sq mt each and converted them into one two bed room condo at 135 sq mt with uninterrupted sea view one side and mountains the other side, all up cost with conversion and furniture 2.7 million bt

Pm me if you want more info on the condo building the rooms are selling well and most people are renovating to live there not to rent.

This is not a ad to sell my condo as I would not move from here until they carry me out in a box.

I hope this helps you decide

• Like 2

once you get past Sattahip, there are a scattering of quiet beaches until you reach mataphut, a bit of an ex pat community around the phala area, no idea where bangchang village is but you can not see the beach from ban chang , there is a hotel complex with a condo block opposite which have/are in the process of being renovated. a little bit along from phala. nearer to nim ram/phayun beach

map here - https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.6788279,101.075928,15z

there is a new small hotel on the tesco to phala beach road, nice and clean 5000 baht a month, phayun beach resort has a wooden hut type accomodation, across the small hardly used road from the beach not sure of the cost.

I like it here

I had to reply, even though I have not read the other responses. Your reading on each of these locations is spot on. I use Pattaya as my home, and then travel throughout. Love going to Ban Saray, Ban Phe, Koh Chang, even through Cambodia, on my Yamaha Nuevo. I strongly agree that visiting the small villages is the highlight of being in Thailand. Interesting that I have not yet done Ban Chang, since everyone tells me to do so. It is on my bucket list for next week. I have driven on every small little road within 40 km of Pattaya, and have never been disappointed. Slow speed, no traffic, visit with the wonderful people, and learn the real Thailand. Enjoy. Lots to see & do.