Sunday Sunrise Ride

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from a 6 hour ride. Started off in Asoke, all the way down Sukhumvit till Bang Pakong. Turn back onto the Bang Na - Chonburi expressway. Turned off at the Kanchanaphisek Toll Road (taking the frontage road). Stop for a late lunch at Bung Chon (fish, deep fried chicken) and back to Asoke via Onnut / Phattanakan / Petchburi.

Boring as hell but not much of a choice in Bangkok if you only have half a day or so. Can hardly wait till I will be able to spend more time up North. At least, it was good to let the bike redline a bit on certain stretches.

• Like 1

Just got back from a 6 hour ride. Started off in Asoke, all the way down Sukhumvit till Bang Pakong. Turn back onto the Bang Na - Chonburi expressway. Turned off at the Kanchanaphisek Toll Road (taking the frontage road). Stop for a late lunch at Bung Chon (fish, deep fried chicken) and back to Asoke via Onnut / Phattanakan / Petchburi.

Boring as hell but not much of a choice in Bangkok if you only have half a day or so. Can hardly wait till I will be able to spend more time up North. At least, it was good to let the bike redline a bit on certain stretches.

totally agreed, for half day trips bkk is pretty boring. As Sunday is for me a working day I have to go out when Im off during the week which means more traffic.

1 hour fighting traffic to get out than 30 minutes fun 30 minutes lunch and one hour fighting traffic to get home again.

but living in Sathorn I used quite a number of times the rama3 to cross the river than you can go to mahachai or one of the floating markets and then by nakon phantom back again which can be quite ok. (just not these days with the protests)

anyone have good tips for around bkk?

Kanchanaburi route is the nicest around bkk and i can reach the main twisties within 2 hours from my door.

Today had a blast until nakhon pathim along barommoratchanonnani road.

Tried to find nakhon chai si circuit couldnt so went straight.

Very less traffic today as people is outside of bkk due to the long weekend. It was a nice ride. Enjoying the inline four engine.:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Riding is a deeply ingrained part of my daily life. Sunday is no more special than any other...

Like most people here, I ride just about everyday as well, but Sundays are special to me- the roads have the least traffic for any given time of day, I'm usually pretty free as far as my schedule goes, and sometimes when I get home my wife will have made chocolate/peanut-butter-cream cupcakes (like today- one removed for testing purposes- it passed:)):

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

phom iiiiiiiiccccchhhhhhaaaa mak loei

• Like 1

Years ago would ride my R50/5 down to the Pacific Coast Beach Road and cruise along the beach at 4am very interesting and very quiet.

Today will do the Semong Loop

Where exactly is the Semong Loop?

Semong is a small village west of Chiang Mai. Go north out of Chiang Mai on the 107 after Mae Rim there will be a left turn up the Mae Sai Valley stay on this road until you get to the T-junction about 40k to the right is Semong to the left will take you south of Chiang Mai to Canal Rd or Hang Dong Rd. about 90k from my place and back. The road goes on the backside of the mountains west of Chiang Mai. Have Fun.

In about 10 years most of the forest will be gone replaced by farms see it while it still looks like a tropical forest

The smoke wasn't to bad but it is dry and ugly at the moment. The ride was good not much traffic except where canal road hooks up with the 107 they have some major construction work going on in the area.

I know it is terrible to say with all the great riding in Thailand but....

the loop is pretty much all I ride for fun these days.

It has everything I like & usually I ride it mainly on week days so hardly any cars too.

Your right about Mae Rim side road construction. I rarely go out that way though as I prefer

to enter the loop from Hang Dong side ride till elephant farm / monjam area & then go back same way

We are lucky to have such a nice set of twisties ;)

Edited by mania

Years ago would ride my R50/5 down to the Pacific Coast Beach Road and cruise along the beach at 4am very interesting and very quiet.

Semong is a small village west of Chiang Mai. Go north out of Chiang Mai on the 107 after Mae Rim there will be a left turn up the Mae Sai Valley stay on this road until you get to the T-junction about 40k to the right is Semong to the left will take you south of Chiang Mai to Canal Rd or Hang Dong Rd. about 90k from my place and back. The road goes on the backside of the mountains west of Chiang Mai. Have Fun.

In about 10 years most of the forest will be gone replaced by farms see it while it still looks like a tropical forest

That is definitely on the list for later this year, will have a go at that before the Mae Hong Song loop.

I could take the missus on the back too.......or what do you think?

That is definitely on the list for later this year, will have a go at that before the Mae Hong Song loop.

That would be no problem as the road only has a short section of Mae Hong Song type 180 degree curves, its a good ride you could turn into a day long sight seeing trip

Don't see why that should be a problem. I've done two up on the MHS loop, Samoeng loop and also the Mae Sot - Umphang 1219 curves.

What bike are you riding?

The smoke wasn't to bad but it is dry and ugly at the moment. The ride was good not much traffic except where canal road hooks up with the 107 they have some major construction work going on in the area.

I know it is terrible to say with all the great riding in Thailand but....

the loop is pretty much all I ride for fun these days.

It has everything I like & usually I ride it mainly on week days so hardly any cars too.

Your right about Mae Rim side road construction. I rarely go out that way though as I prefer

to enter the loop from Hang Dong side ride till elephant farm / monjam area & then go back same way

We are lucky to have such a nice set of twisties wink.png

If you come down canal road and connect to the 107 going to Mae Rim the construction doesn't last as long as going south from Mae Rim maybe a kilometer at most from the intersection, then you are back on a full 2 lanes all the way thru Mae Rim to the cut off

• Like 1

If you come down canal road and connect to the 107 going to Mae Rim the construction doesn't last as long as going south from Mae Rim maybe a kilometer at most from the intersection, then you are back on a full 2 lanes all the way thru Mae Rim to the cut off

Yes actually it is not that bad as when I did use that section I would turn onto hwy right near Nakorn Ping anyway.Or even the intersection before NP & go left into Sankampaeng back to town.

Main reason I ride the out & back route I do is because it is all the best parts without the touristy elephant / waterfall park slow sections. + all that X-center etc section

Edited by mania

Kanchanaburi route is the nicest around bkk and i can reach the main twisties within 2 hours from my door.

Very less traffic today as people is outside of bkk due to the long weekend. It was a nice ride. Enjoying the inline four engine.biggrin.png

Kanchanaburi's excellent but the route there is bloody awful. That Barom.. blah de blah.. Road is a nightmare!

Actually every other highway out of Bkk is awful. Rama 2, Viphawadee-Rangsit, Pahonyothin, BangNa-Trat...

The only half-decent way going North is up Onnut, towards Chachoengsao then the 304.

Semong is a small village west of Chiang Mai.

How's the pollution up in CM? Heard is pretty bad. Rode to MHS a few years back and there were a lot of roadside fires.

I'm another one of the 'land-locked' bikers who need to slog for an hour up Sukhumvit before I can reach the open sea. But Public Holidays are good for rides in Bangkok as many of the locals head to Hua Hin - so the traffic jam moves south for the long weekends.

And the 'Green Routes' around the back of Sukhumvit at least have a few bends to ensure my tyres don't end up getting squared off like a sidecar outfit's.

But for a day's ride - Bang Saan can be a decent destination - Asoke/Rama IV to avoid some of the Sukhumvit grind - then straight up Sukhumvit through Samut Prakarn and just keep going 'till you hit the sea. Or take the ferry from Bang Naa and there's nice roads on the other side of the river.

• Like 1

I'm another one of the 'land-locked' bikers who need to slog for an hour up Sukhumvit before I can reach the open sea. But Public Holidays are good for rides in Bangkok as many of the locals head to Hua Hin - so the traffic jam moves south for the long weekends.

And the 'Green Routes' around the back of Sukhumvit at least have a few bends to ensure my tyres don't end up getting squared off like a sidecar outfit's.

But for a day's ride - Bang Saan can be a decent destination - Asoke/Rama IV to avoid some of the Sukhumvit grind - then straight up Sukhumvit through Samut Prakarn and just keep going 'till you hit the sea. Or take the ferry from Bang Naa and there's nice roads on the other side of the river.

I did Sukhumvit all the way from Asoke to Samut Prakarn and would not recommend it for the moment. There is contruction work going on for the BTS past Onnut for a long long way and it's just a nightmare with the traffic congestion.

To get to Bang Saen, I would recommend getting onto the Bang Na - Chon Buri highway (under the toll road) as soon as possible.

What are these Green Routes around Sukhumvit, FOTM?

I did Sukhumvit all the way from Asoke to Samut Prakarn and would not recommend it for the moment. There is contruction work going on for the BTS past Onnut for a long long way and it's just a nightmare with the traffic congestion.

To get to Bang Saen, I would recommend getting onto the Bang Na - Chon Buri highway (under the toll road) as soon as possible.

Thanks for the update! That Chonburi route has some serious pot holes - it's like a video game with someone firing pot-holes at you while you dodge the trucks.

The "Green routes" are just the alternative routes running alongside Sukhumvit signposted by the green road-signs. Asoke to Ekamai for example has a signed route that goes via Nar-Z nightclub and Samitivej Hospital and it has a few nice bends (for a city ride) and it cuts out 20 minutes of sweating along Sukhumvit. It starts opposite the Sharks Fin restaurant about half way up Asoke - or the other way - it starts at the traffic lights on Ekamai Road. You've probably used the route lots of times.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update! That Chonburi route has some serious pot holes - it's like a video game with someone firing pot-holes at you while you dodge the trucks.

The "Green routes" are just the alternative routes running alongside Sukhumvit signposted by the green road-signs. Asoke to Ekamai for example has a signed route that goes via Nar-Z nightclub and Samitivej Hospital and it has a few nice bends (for a city ride) and it cuts out 20 minutes of sweating along Sukhumvit. It starts opposite the Sharks Fin restaurant about half way up Asoke - or the other way - it starts at the traffic lights on Ekamai Road. You've probably used the route lots of times.

I live on a part of that green route FotM mentions but I wouldn't really recommend it as a good biking route!

In fact, the "bends" are almost exclusively 90º blind "junctions", and the road surface is poor. I rounded one of those bends a few weeks ago to be met head on with a soi dog, 30cms from my front wheel. Actually I think I scared him more than he scared me, but it was a big enough dog to have knocked me off the bike...

Then it probably would have bitten my a*se while strewn across the road....

I actually avoid the green route and take Sukhumvit, at least riding up and down Sukhumvit is like playing lane splitter!

• Like 2

I never take those green roads. These roads are tight and if there is traffic, you stuck forever like a car which i hate that.

At least from sukhumvit or rama4, even on the highest traffic at rush hour, you can still squeeze your bike between cars and find spaces, even the pavement!

As riding a big bike, i always take larger roads even if there is trafffic.

You mustn't take the frontage road but use the main road under the elevated toll road. There is still some road works in parts but I reckon they should be finished in the next few month or so and then it will be a straight blast from wherever you join it all the way to the Chonburi bypass (if going to Pattaya).

I will try the green route that you mentioned but also had a good laugh from poster overandout about the soi dog :)

• Like 1

No experienced biker would ride that route for the fun of it. Sorry but Sukhumvit back roads as a good bike route is plainly ridiculous. Looks like someone needs to get to Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi or northern Thailand to see actual good roads for riding.

Bangkok roads are only used to get to the dealer or when leaving Bangkok for greener pastures.

No experienced biker would ride that route for the <deleted>n of it. Sorry but Sukhumvit back roads as a good bike route is plainly ridiculous. Looks like someone needs to get to Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi or northern Thailand to see actual good roads for riding.

Bangkok roads are only used to get to the dealer or when leaving Bangkok for greener pastures.

Fun is a comparative state - I rarely have the time to get out of Bangkok due to work and I use my bike to commute. So the back-routes are less horrible than slogging along Sukhumvit. I don't really have the alternative of riding home from Chidlom via Kanchanaburi - so a few bends and less traffic is far better than the hell of Sukhumvit.

I also work 'till after midnight many days (which is why I can't use the BTS) and at these times the back roads are pretty clear whereas Suk is solid with taxis (and arrow straight).

Is an inability to see the world through another person's eyes a pre-requisite of being a member of TV?

Edited by Familyonthemove

Very less traffic today as people is outside of bkk due to the long weekend. It was a nice ride. Enjoying the inline four engine.biggrin.png

Kanchanaburi's excellent but the route there is bloody awful. That Barom.. blah de blah.. Road is a nightmare!

Actually every other highway out of Bkk is awful. Rama 2, Viphawadee-Rangsit, Pahonyothin, BangNa-Trat...

The only half-decent way going North is up Onnut, towards Chachoengsao then the 304.

Semong is a small village west of Chiang Mai.

How's the pollution up in CM? Heard is pretty bad. Rode to MHS a few years back and there were a lot of roadside fires.

The smoke appears to be clearing up a nice rain tonight should help. Have been able to see some of the mountain the last few days so a good sign.

Going to go on the samoeng loop tomorrow morning on my scooter (Pcx) is it a 3 hr ride + stops? Where is good for a lunch stop?

On the south section of the loop enter from Hang Dong there are a few resorts and some road side set ups that have ok food. Avoid the mess along the Mae Sai valley as many are charging crazy prices. x-center 80baht for a lemon ice tea no thank you

• Like 1

Another good day ride from Chiang Mai is the road along the river down to and past lamphun. It is a nice relaxing ride along the river with a few nice bends and twisties and the smattering of interesting buildings and villages. Before the rainy season starts a couple of tree species bloom and it can be very colorful along the river.

• Like 1

Going to go on the samoeng loop tomorrow morning on my scooter (Pcx) is it a 3 hr ride + stops? Where is good for a lunch stop?

It is an hour or just under an hour when I do it.

If I do a coffee stop just over an hour. But I am just riding

Of course times will vary for folks depending on what they do.

But the loop itself is just under 100km. So judge from that + your speed

Lunch .....try to avoid the tourist traps. Pick one of the many little Thai spots.

Quite a few near the turn off to Monjam

Or go down into Samoeng itself & right before T stop at bottom of hill is decent Thai place on the right. The usual 30 baht plates...

Edited by mania

Fun is a comparative state - I rarely have the time to get out of Bangkok due to work and I use my bike to commute. So the back-routes are less horrible than slogging along Sukhumvit. I don't really have the alternative of riding home from Chidlom via Kanchanaburi - so a few bends and less traffic is far better than the hell of Sukhumvit.

I also work 'till after midnight many days (which is why I can't use the BTS) and at these times the back roads are pretty clear whereas Suk is solid with taxis (and arrow straight).

Is an inability to see the world through another person's eyes a pre-requisite of being a member of TV?

Oh! So you're commuting. Why didn't you say so? As this thread is about riding for the fun of it (see the OP) that's what I thought you were talking about.

Well, commuting a different story and I'm sorry if you took offense but let's leave the bitchy remarks to the girls. thumbsup.gif

Edited by H1w4yR1da