Sunday Sunrise Ride

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^

Yup- just got back in a bit under 90 minutes (no problems except for a face-full of windshield-washer-fluid from a car in front of me- that will teach me not to leave my shield up all the way at speed;)).

Now I can face whatever horrors my wife has planned for me today (a Sunday Tesco run, perhaps heading to the nursery to pick out some plants and flowers, maybe visiting the temple to make merit...) because no matter what else happens I got my ride in.:)

• Like 2

Yeah, the Sunday club. I didnt participate today tho'

Im usually out a little before you tho', safest and most interesting part of the day. Finding a coastal road detour, plotting up alone for coffee and "paton-go" in some random muslim village, smiles all around as i pootle through the army roadblocks.

Makes me really understand why I bought the bike.

I couldn't sleep last night, and after watching some GP qualifying, I thought I'd head out for a spin from about 12:30 - 1:30am....lol.

It's amazing how much traffic there still is out there at that time round the Asoke/Silom/Sathorn areas - went through at least half a dozen Army check points too.

Was great fun, but I wish I didn't love the sleep-in so much, as 6am sounds way more fun!

Back in Oz I would do a few early runs. Living at the end of suburbia and the start of the Yarra Valley gave me a choice of 6 or 7 places to go in the hills. Great spring time, summer time and autumn rides. There are a few fair to middling roads out the back of Pattaya. Sometimes I wish I had a sports bike as well as a cruiser!

Back in Oz I would do a few early runs. Living at the end of suburbia and the start of the Yarra Valley gave me a choice of 6 or 7 places to go in the hills. Great spring time, summer time and autumn rides. There are a few fair to middling roads out the back of Pattaya. Sometimes I wish I had a sports bike as well as a cruiser!

Not too far from the Black Spur then......some nice twisties all around the north-eastern edge of the city!

Problem with living in Bangkok is that it takes more than an hour to get out of the city before one can start to enjoy the ride. That means it's not worth all the effort to put on ATGATT unless you are planning a full day's ride.

Problem with living in Bangkok is that it takes more than an hour to get out of the city before one can start to enjoy the ride. That means it's not worth all the effort to put on ATGATT unless you are planning a full day's ride.

as you live along Sukhumvit, yeah it is hard to get out but for me for Southern and Northern trips, it is very easy as i live close to highway 9.

Still, to go Pattaya or East, i have to pass all the way from Sukhumvit or the parallel roads which is at least an hour and possible more!

as you live along Sukhumvit, yeah it is hard to get out but for me for Southern and Northern trips, it is very easy as i live close to highway 9.

Still, to go Pattaya or East, i have to pass all the way from Sukhumvit or the parallel roads which is at least an hour and possible more!

Yeah, one direction takes me across Suk to Ratchadipisek onto Rama III / Rama II and beyond. The other direction is down Asok, onto either Petchaburi or Rama 9.

Either way, an hour to get out of the city onto the highway (less, if I don't follow the speed limits, haha).

• Like 2

Yeah, one direction takes me across Suk to Ratchadipisek onto Rama III / Rama II and beyond. The other direction is down Asok, onto either Petchaburi or Rama 9.

Either way, an hour to get out of the city onto the highway (less, if I don't follow the speed limits, haha).

between midnight and 6am there is no speed limits :D

i only stop at red ligts long enough to check the danger traffic pulling out from the sides and

if there is none im gone

ive noticed taxis dont even stop and just bomb on through

once or twice the cop in the box has come out waving his ticket book as if i was going to go back or something

but even thats very rare and most traffic boxes are unmanned at night :D

between midnight and 6am there is no speed limits biggrin.png

i only stop at red ligts long enough to check the danger traffic pulling out from the sides and

if there is none im gone

ive noticed taxis dont even stop and just bomb on through

once or twice the cop in the box has come out waving his ticket book as if i was going to go back or something

but even thats very rare and most traffic boxes are unmanned at night biggrin.png

I avoid riding after sunset. It's dangerous enough during the day, at night with presumably more drunk drivers on the road plus road blocks, it's not pleasant :)

I avoid riding after sunset. It's dangerous enough during the day, at night with presumably more drunk drivers on the road plus road blocks, it's not pleasant smile.png

if your bike is a 1000cc or bigger i find the only time i get to ride it in reasonable safety is late night ,early morn

no drunk drivers in cars can keep up at 200-300 and neither can the police if you accidently outrun their checkpoint smile.png

any other time of the day your safer on a 250cc or smaller in bkk as you dont get out of 1st or 2nd gear before its time to hit the brakes

in my exerience

• Like 1

I avoid riding after sunset. It's dangerous enough during the day, at night with presumably more drunk drivers on the road plus road blocks, it's not pleasant smile.png

if your bike is a 1000cc or bigger i find the only time i get to ride it in reasonable safety is late night ,early morn

no drunk drivers in cars can keep up at 200-300 and neither can the police if you accidently outrun their checkpoint smile.png

any other time of the day your safer on a 250cc or smaller in bkk as you dont get out of 1st or 2nd gear before its time to hit the brakes

in my exerience

Didn't I read somewhere that a majority of biker deaths in Thailand involve riding after dark, alcohol & stray dogs?

in my exerience

Didn't I read somewhere that a majority of biker deaths in Thailand involve riding after dark, alcohol & stray dogs?

at my kinda speeds id cut a dog in half ,i went over one like a speed bump before on the versys and its only a 650

of course ,driving at night has its own risks but so does driving during the day

i know which one i prefer on a 1250 gsx :)

in my exerience

at my kinda speeds id cut a dog in half ,i went over one like a speed bump before on the versys and its only a 650

of course ,driving at night has its own risks but so does driving during the day

i know which one i prefer on a 1250 gsx smile.png

and did you also like it when going over the poor animal?

• 2 weeks later...

^

Jealous of your proximity to The Loop.;)

I'm gonna gear-up and head out for a ride in about half-an-hour (now that the road is pretty much dry and I can lean into a couple turns instead of pussyfooting around them), but it won't match the ride you'll be taking.:)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Riding is a deeply ingrained part of my daily life. Sunday is no more special than any other...

Like most people here, I ride just about everyday as well, but Sundays are special to me- the roads have the least traffic for any given time of day, I'm usually pretty free as far as my schedule goes, and sometimes when I get home my wife will have made chocolate/peanut-butter-cream cupcakes (like today- one removed for testing purposes- it passed:)):

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

you lucky guy!

i am going for a ride within an hour too.

On almost every a trip, I set off about an hour before dawn (about 5am) and see the sunrise, almost nothing on the road up here. I stop just after sunrise and have breakfast, you can't whack it.

I have always done that in the UK too, in my car, you can do twice the miles with half the stress and the breakfast is always good.

Then, bike or car, if the roads get busy, I can take a couple of hours out to relax, knowing I am ahead of schedule.

^

Jealous of your proximity to The Loop.wink.png

I'm gonna gear-up and head out for a ride in about half-an-hour (now that the road is pretty much dry and I can lean into a couple turns instead of pussyfooting around them), but it won't match the ride you'll be taking.smile.png

Finished up in 2 hours today only 1 stop for a break and a bite to eat. The smoke wasn't to bad but it is dry and ugly at the moment. The ride was good not much traffic except where canal road hooks up with the 107 they have some major construction work going on in the area.

• Like 1

Years ago would ride my R50/5 down to the Pacific Coast Beach Road and cruise along the beach at 4am very interesting and very quiet.

Today will do the Semong Loop

Where exactly is the Semong Loop?