NACC to give documents to Senate

Lite Beer

NACC to give documents to Senate
The Sunday Nation:

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission will submit documents to the Senate tomorrow on the impeachment of caretaker Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij, NACC secretary-general Sansern Poljiak said yesterday.

The NACC voted unanimously on Thursday to indict Nikom, who was also acting Parliament President, over his alleged violation of the Constitution while chairing parliamentary meetings that debated a charter amendment bill on the make-up of the Senate.

Sansern said the NACC's investigation into the conduct of former House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont, who was also President of Parliament, in relation to the matter was expected to be finished within a few weeks.

Deputy Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboonlertchai said he would call a special Senate meeting to discuss the matter in early April.

After receiving the NACC's decision, the Senate is required to call a meeting within 20 days.

A politician can only be impeached if three-fifth of the Senate vote to do so.

The Senate currently only has 73 appointed senators, as the term of the 77 elected senators ended early this month and a half-Senate election has been set for next Sunday.

Surachai said it was uncertain whether the newly elected senators would be able to start work before the impeachment vote.

In a separate development, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has told her legal team to carefully prepare the documents in defence of her alleged negligence in the rice-pledging scheme, as charged by the NACC.

The anti-graft agency gave Yingluck until yesterday to defend herself, in person or in writing.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-23

So if YL had until yesterday to submit her defence but shebhas told her legal team to carefully prepare the documents for her excuse to being negligent somwhow the way this article is written implies her defence team has yet to submit anything in her defence. Am i misinterpreting the way this was written? Is she late to give her excuses for her part in the rice scheme?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

So if YL had until yesterday to submit her defence but shebhas told her legal team to carefully prepare the documents for her excuse to being negligent somwhow the way this article is written implies her defence team has yet to submit anything in her defence. Am i misinterpreting the way this was written? Is she late to give her excuses for her part in the rice scheme?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She probably thinks she will get another year or so like with big brothers passport.

• Like 1

Political cheats should be harshly dealt with to prevent repeat.

Is Yingluck late again?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree.

I have always held onto the belief that people of a high position of responsibility must agree that there actions should be monitored more stringently as anyone else.

A mandatory minimum of 5 years prison without time off or royal pardon for any holders of high office committing offenses using their position. Also instant suspension for anyone coming under official NACC investigation until the outcome. Plus a dedicated department in the NACC and courts to fast track all cases for this sector to have the case investigated and handed to the courts for sentencing within 120 days.

That will stop the sods.

Also make it retroactive to cover all NACC pending cases, that will catch a lot from all the past political positions too.

• Like 2

Is Yingluck late again?

That's not the Senate, that's the coup part of the Senate created by the 2006 coup.

So yeh, political cheats should be dealt with harshly.

The elected part of the senate, with the democratic mandate is out for election, and I'm expecting the Electoral Commission to block that vote, leaving only the coup plotters in the Senate, long enough to attempt their coup against Yingluk.

EC will block the senate vote???

It is already started today, and is finalized next Sunday.

Just goes to show you know nothing about what is actually happening.

It will be a full senate on the day of the impeachment vote. Including the Thaksin supporting senators.

• Like 1

Is Yingluck late again?

That's not the Senate, that's the coup part of the Senate created by the 2006 coup.

The elected part of the senate, with the democratic mandate is out for election, and I'm expecting the Electoral Commission to block that vote, leaving only the coup plotters in the Senate, long enough to attempt their coup against Yingluk.

EC will block the senate vote???

It is already started today, and is finalized next Sunday.

Just goes to show you know nothing about what is actually happening.

It will be a full senate on the day of the impeachment vote. Including the Thaksin supporting senators.

No it won't. It will be the coup senate. They can't risk any defections from their own side.

Is Yingluck late again?

I agree.

I have always held onto the belief that people of a high position of responsibility must agree that there actions should be monitored more stringently as anyone else.

A mandatory minimum of 5 years prison without time off or royal pardon for any holders of high office committing offenses using their position. Also instant suspension for anyone coming under official NACC investigation until the outcome. Plus a dedicated department in the NACC and courts to fast track all cases for this sector to have the case investigated and handed to the courts for sentencing within 120 days.

That will stop the sods.

Also make it retroactive to cover all NACC pending cases, that will catch a lot from all the past political positions too.

So your idea puts the NACC in charge of Thailand, and hands the mandate to suspend the Prime Minister to the a lowly civil servant. Worse the NACC, a coup stuffed political body.

Dumb.

NACC has yet to find evidence of corruption

ANGKOK, 4 March 2014 – The anti-corruption agency has yet to find any evidence of corruption on the rice pledging scheme, according to Wicha Mahakhun, Spokesperson of the National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC).

As ever, there's a few political players in the NACC, they handle the political cases and pretend to speak with the authority of the anti-corruption body as a whole. But they don't really, they usurp that authority for political games like this. Most of the rest just do their job investigating corruption.

NACC, AEC, same masters, same objectives, .

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Is Yingluck late again?

I agree.

That will stop the sods.

So your idea puts the NACC in charge of Thailand, and hands the mandate to suspend the Prime Minister to the a lowly civil servant. Worse the NACC, a coup stuffed political body.

Dumb.

NACC has yet to find evidence of corruption

ANGKOK, 4 March 2014 – The anti-corruption agency has yet to find any evidence of corruption on the rice pledging scheme, according to Wicha Mahakhun, Spokesperson of the National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC).

As ever, there's a few political players in the NACC, they handle the political cases and pretend to speak with the authority of the anti-corruption body as a whole. But they don't really, they usurp that authority for political games like this. Most of the rest just do their job investigating corruption.

NACC, AEC, same masters, same objectives, .

It's a little more complicated IMHO. When I dug into the NACC, they had real cases and real evidence and real people investigating those cases. But when you dig into the people running these political games, they don't have that history of investigating corruption, usually they have a political history of anti government speech making!

So it's not a blanket thing, its a few players, carefully positioned in each agency to do this kind of political dirty work.

Likewise with your tag line, it's not correct, and it's one of the problems. There are still people backing Suthep unaware of the true situation.

20,000,000 + 3 < 6

Is actually

20,000,000 + 3 +1+1+1 < 1+1

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

Is Yingluck late again?

The anti-graft agency gave Yingluck until yesterday to defend herself, in person or in writing.

I don't think this is right. She was originally supposed to respond to the NACC's proposed charges on 14 March but the NACC generously gave her another 15 days, even though she initially had decided she didn't even want to see the evidence against her. That expires on 29 March or 4 April, if they only count civil service working days. They didn't specify it was working days, so I assume her time is up on 29 March, although that is a Saturday.

Edited by Dogmatix

Is Yingluck late again?

"The coup part of the senate"?

What on earth is that?

The senate speaker should be strung up for raping democracy

It's a little more complicated IMHO. When I dug into the NACC, they had real cases and real evidence and real people investigating those cases. But when you dig into the people running these political games, they don't have that history of investigating corruption, usually they have a political history of anti government speech making!

So it's not a blanket thing, its a few players, carefully positioned in each agency to do this kind of political dirty work.

Likewise with your tag line, it's not correct, and it's one of the problems. There are still people backing Suthep unaware of the true situation.

20,000,000 + 3 < 6

Is actually

20,000,000 + 3 +1+1+1 < 1+1

I wasn't going to go there and I won't.

As Yingluck and her extraordinarily inept lawyers find every way to play catch and seek, the NACC is going ahead, as is their constitutional duty. Nobody expects Yingluck to ever personally address any of these charges, or to directly answer any of the NACC's questions. A quick scan of the interviews she has given over the last two years easily shows why. She will be - as she has been during her tenure - at arm's length from the process, surreally detached from the experience.

• Like 1

I cannot believe the drivel that some of these red flag wavers come out with. Do they actually believe what each other is writing ? If so they are in the same mental class as their beloved redshirts.

The good C.T. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra needs to stop along with her PTP Ministers, members of the house and party hacks, thumbing their nose at the law , they need to realize that they are elected by the people, to be members of parliament , therefore, you are employee's of the state, indirectly to the people, to command respect Prime Minister you must give respect , you show a very bad trait that your family seems to think that they are above the law , your brother thought so too, he now resides in exile in Dubai. bah.gif

She should be looking for her own luxury accommodation in Dubai as well as international schooling for Nong Pike and new sinecure jobs with family owned businesses for herself and her live in boyfriend. Article 272, para 3 of the Constitution reads thus:

The President of the National Counter Corruption Commission shall submit the report, existing documents, and its opinion to the President of the Senate for proceeding in accordance with Section 264 and to the Attorny General for instituting prosecution in the Supreme Court of Justice’s Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions.

When the NACC forwards a case to the Senate for impeachment, it is also obliged to initiate criminal proceedings. If the AG doesn't agree, the NACC has the power to prosecute itself. Bye bye Yingluck.

• Like 2

I would think that Yingluck/Thaksins Thai Lawyers would know a little bit more about the ins and outs of the Thai constitution than the Farang "experts" here.. just saying like wink.png

Of course they do. They know how to ask for delays, argue that no one at all is, in fact, entitled to petition the Constitutional Court and, most importantly, they know how to deliver cash to judges in donut boxes. The lead donut team is out of prison now and well rewarded by the taxpayer with directorships with state enterprises that needed advise on delivering (and receiving) donut boxes. Unfortunately they are not allowed to practice law any more but I am sure that Thaksin/Yingluck can still consult them for advice. In addition they have many "legal experts" in the caretaker cabinet including Bhokin, Promprong, Pongthep and Chalerm, who has a doctrate in law. Quite a formidable line up I think you'll agree. Let's see what they can do to get Yingluck off the hook.

The constitution requires the Senate to convene without delay to hear an impeachment case and it must consider primarily the evidence provided by the NACC plus any other relevant evidence. It is pity for Nikom that the Senate is planning to hear his impeachment case before the new Senators from the 30 March can be sworn in but the constitution holds that the remaining Senators still constitute the Senate, even though one group of Senators are out of office when their terms have expired. This is the case now that the terms of the elected Senators have expired but the appointed Senators are still in office.

Perhaps Yingluck's case can also be heard by the Senate before the new elected Senators take office. That would certainly be compliant with the constitutional requirement for the Senat to hear impeachment cases without delay.

I would think that Yingluck/Thaksins Thai Lawyers would know a little bit more about the ins and outs of the Thai constitution than the Farang "experts" here.. just saying like wink.png

You would wouldn't you.... until you remember that even Chalerm somehow managed to obtain an open university doctorate in law. whistling.gif

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Is Yingluck late again?

The elected part of the senate, with the democratic mandate is out for election, and I'm expecting the Electoral Commission to block that vote, leaving only the coup plotters in the Senate, long enough to attempt their coup against Yingluck.

If they stop the election of the elected part of the Senate wouldn't that mean they couldn't impeach Yingluck or is it three fifths of those sitting rather than of those who should be?

Is Yingluck late again?

The elected part of the senate, with the democratic mandate is out for election, and I'm expecting the Electoral Commission to block that vote, leaving only the coup plotters in the Senate, long enough to attempt their coup against Yingluck.

If they stop the election of the elected part of the Senate wouldn't that mean they couldn't impeach Yingluck or is it three fifths of those sitting rather than of those who should be?

This will answer you question.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/120409/caretaker-government-section-7-and-the-senate/