SBY urged to intervene to stop beheading of migrant worker in Saudi Arabia

webfact

SBY urged to intervene to stop beheading of migrant worker

Yudhoyono-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- With less than two weeks before an Indonesian migrant worker is beheaded in Saudi Arabia, various organizations have called on President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to intervene in the case, The Jakarta Post reported.

“We urge the president to directly intervene and save Satinah from the death penalty,” Tumbu Saraswati of the Commission on Violence against Women said on Sunday, referring to the the worker, a native of Semarang, Central Java, who is on death row in Saudi Arabia.

Tumbu went on to say the government should improve its weak track record by enhancing protection for Indonesians abroad, who are mostly uneducated domestic workers.

Satinah had confessed to the murder of her employer, Nura Al-Gharib, in Gaseem, Saudi Arabia, and the theft of 37,970 riyals (US$10,120), in June 2007. She was sentenced to be executed in 2010, but after appealing her sentence in 2009, the date was pushed back to April 3, 2014.

Satinah would be absolved if the Indonesian government paid 7 million riyals for diyat (financial retribution to a victim’s kin), which is equal to Rp 22.5 billion, surpassing the last diyat reportedly paid in a similar case.

So far, 4 million riyals have been raised from allocated state funds, donors and charities to save Satinah from death by beheading.

Satinah’s family has also made efforts to communicate with the victim’s family to plea for clemency.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sby-urged-intervene-stop-beheading-migrant-worker/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-25

So far, 4 million riyals have been raised. That is a lot of money. The family should accept it and move on. Better than chopping off her head and the family gets nothing or perhaps they are too rich already. It wouldn't surprise me if the Saudi's refused and called it Allah's way.

So far, 4 million riyals have been raised. That is a lot of money. The family should accept it and move on. Better than chopping off her head and the family gets nothing or perhaps they are too rich already. It wouldn't surprise me if the Saudi's refused and called it Allah's way.

Her "employer" cannot be from a poor family. .. So sad.png

• Like 1

It seems to me...that the killing and robbing of an employer...anywhere in the world...would result in either the death penalty or life in prison...to the Saudis...justice is being served...there are consequences for lawlessness of this magnitude...

• Like 1

This should not be about money !! If you kill someone for any reason other than self defense or defense of others you too should be killed. Why should governments spend many thousands of dollars to inprison someone who had no regard for their victims life ?? Same for "Red Bull Baby Boy" what in the h---- is he now ??

Jerry

While I can't speak about the specifics of this case, there is a very widespread problem in wealthy Arabic countries where the imported domestic workers/maids (often from the Philippines or Indonesia) are often beaten, treated like property, and enslaved by their employers. They are treated and viewed as being inferior human scum. Unfortunately, these migrants come from very poor families in very poor countries, so they often have no other options in life, and no where else to go for opportunity. Although not all of these workers are abused, I would not be the least bit surprised if she was tortured or mistreated. If someone did that to me, I would probably be planning a revenge as well. And there is no way that a lowly foreigner would get a fair trial for killing a Saudi. This is country where it is perfectly acceptable for men to beat and abuse women, and for Saudis to beat and abuse foreigners.

Correct ! some are condemning this woman, but we do not know the facts of her case. However in light of the evidence as described above, she was probably being treated as a slave which seems to be a bad Saudi habit !

• Like 2

And there is no way that a lowly foreigner would get a fair trial for killing a Saudi. This is country where it is perfectly acceptable for men to beat and abuse women, and for Saudis to beat and abuse foreigners.

sounds more than a bit like thailand ,eh ?

While I can't speak about the specifics of this case, there is a very widespread problem in wealthy Arabic countries where the imported domestic workers/maids (often from the Philippines or Indonesia) are often beaten, treated like property, and enslaved by their employers. They are treated and viewed as being inferior human scum. Unfortunately, these migrants come from very poor families in very poor countries, so they often have no other options in life, and no where else to go for opportunity. Although not all of these workers are abused, I would not be the least bit surprised if she was tortured or mistreated. If someone did that to me, I would probably be planning a revenge as well. And there is no way that a lowly foreigner would get a fair trial for killing a Saudi. This is country where it is perfectly acceptable for men to beat and abuse women, and for Saudis to beat and abuse foreigners.

Agree. Not sure if this was the same case, but I had read about a similar-sounding case where the domestic worker had been verbally/physically abused and raped for years until she finally got fed up and killed her "master." Very sad, really, because even if she had complained, nothing would have happened to the Saudi man and the abuse would have escalated. Murder was about the only solution.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Satinah is safe now. Just read a story in the Sydney Morning Herald saying the 'Blood Money' had been paid

$2.1m in 'blood money' saves maid from Saudi death

I hope she will tell her story now, and I'm glad to see there is still a moratorium on Indonesian maids working in Saudi Arabia. Make them knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, medieval clowns clean up their own crap.

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 1

Indonesia pays 'blood money' to save maid from execution in Saudi Arabia
By Schams Elwazer and Kathy Quiano, CNN

(CNN) -- Indonesia's government has stepped in at the eleventh hour to help save an Indonesian woman on death row in Saudi Arabia from being executed this weekend.

Satinah Binti Jumadi Ahmad, a 40-year old working as a housemaid in the Gulf kingdom, was sentenced to death in 2011 after she reportedly admitted to killing her 70-year-old female employer and stealing approximately $10,000. She said it was in self-defense as her boss had been trying to attack her at the time.

She was facing execution on Saturday unless the dead woman's family received 7 million Saudi riyals ($1.8 million) in financial compensation, known as diyya or "blood money." A pardon would likely follow if the payment is made.

Campaigners in Indonesia had raised just over half that sum with donations coming from the public, businesses and NGOs, Jakarta's Foreign Ministry said in a statement last week.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/03/world/meast/saudi-arabia-indonesia-maid/

-- CNN 2014-04-04

It wasn't until 1962 that Saudi Arabia abolished slavery, indeed conditions for migrant workers in the middle east still resemble conditions slaves are kept in, so forget any prospect of a fair trial there. There is a glimmer of hope though, I read that in 20 years time Saudi Arabia may be a net importer of oil - if that's the case it would be goodbye migrant workers and a return to the stone age for the goat f#$king primitives.

• Like 2

This should not be about money !! If you kill someone for any reason other than self defense or defense of others you too should be killed. Why should governments spend many thousands of dollars to inprison someone who had no regard for their victims life ?? Same for "Red Bull Baby Boy" what in the h---- is he now ??

Jerry

You have to be 100 percent sure of their guilt to execute someone. A confession in Saudi. Probably beaten out of her.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

middle eastern countries are sh*t-holes. can't think of anything of value that they make.

Two questions.

1. How many countries in the Middle East have you visited?

2. Do you have a motor vehicle powered by fossil fuels?

middle eastern countries are sh*t-holes. can't think of anything of value that they make.

Two questions.

They make oil? Wow, I thought it was a natural resource, didn't know they could make fossil fuels in the Middle East.

Two questions.

They make oil? Wow, I thought it was a natural resource, didn't know they could make fossil fuels in the Middle East.

Yep.

If you had ever been there you would have seen them jumping up and down on the sand, squeezing the fossils into oil for your use.

You must have missed the Nat Geo special on it.

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 1