Turning Thailand around

Lite Beer

namely those of France and Germany

This is novel. These reactionaries did notice that both of those countries have presidents or chancellors.

In Germany the President is not elected and holds little day to day power ie just a figurehead . His/her main jobs are signing laws voted through Parliament and attending for International gatherings.

So their system could work with a King instead of a President.

I think it is a smart idea copy the system from 2 countries where the Parliamentary system is stable and democratic.

At least they are not looking at the Italian system or TS & UDD's preferred Democratic Republic of North Korea, Syria or Zimbabwe

I think it might be a little more practical to pick a country that has a king or queen for head of state. I can guarantee you that by the time it has been thaiified, whichever system they pick will be corrupted.

First problem. Parliamentary immunity for MPs. .you think in any normal country immunity includes murder charges?

Can you imagine if someone from the PTP suggested France or Germany, they would be in jail already for lease majeste!

So this is the PDRC's real aim, to get rid of the monarchy and install Suthep as President or Chancellor like in Germany. And they portray TS to be not a great Royalist!

Cant believe this guy can get away with suggesting this.

Yingluck will win in the end The Rif Raf will be locked up GOOD LUCK YINGLUCK

I'll vote for that

right but if you were a Thai you couldn't because a few minority thugs were able to get the whole gig annulled by forcibly blocking voting

so for Thais

"I'd like to vote for that - and I did at the election - but the judiciary didn't like the result and stopped it"

namely those of France and Germany

This is novel. These reactionaries did notice that both of those countries have presidents or chancellors.

In Germany the President is not elected and holds little day to day power ie just a figurehead . His/her main jobs are signing laws voted through Parliament and attending for International gatherings.

I think it is a smart idea copy the system from 2 countries where the Parliamentary system is stable and democratic.

At least they are not looking at the Italian system or TS & UDD's preferred Democratic Republic of North Korea, Syria or Zimbabwe

I think it might be a little more practical to pick a country that has a king or queen for head of state. I can guarantee you that by the time it has been thaiified, whichever system they pick will be corrupted.

First problem. Parliamentary immunity for MPs. .you think in any normal country immunity includes murder charges?

Can you imagine if someone from the PTP suggested France or Germany, they would be in jail already for lease majeste!

Amazing huh. The PTP get accused of "overthrowing democracy with The King as head of State", but this nut job discusses putting in the French system of government ?

I swear, whenever a university lecturer or " respected academic" has an opinion on this type of issue, I wish they would keep him away from his stash before the interview. I can just imagine him bamboozling people with this stupid idea.

Oh, what a sophisticant. How can they want to mimic the French system. Why would anyone want to?

Before the Thaksin & Co. Aera, no one talked or was interested in any political reform. Why now...?

What was the 1997 constitution, if it wasn't political reform?

it was but if you learn one thing from Thai political history from 1932 onwards it's that the forces of reaction always react and somehow reverse and progress made given a little time. It's happened time and time again. There are extraordinarily powerful people with a huge amount to lose if they don't reverse the tide. Suthep is their current agent.

The 1997 constitution was written by the most neutral group Thailand has put together & was a <deleted> fine constitution with very good checks & balances but there were loopholes which were exploited mercilessly & mainly by Mr T & his cohorts. If everyone had stuck to the true spirit of the '97 version then the country would be much better off. But people, & none more so than Thai politicians, are all in the mindset of take take take & no give.

and hence the need for reform yet again - to deal with the loop holes - though I don't know myself what the best changes would be. Frustrating that!

Amazing huh. The PTP get accused of "overthrowing democracy with The King as head of State", but this nut job discusses putting in the French system of government ?

I swear, whenever a university lecturer or " respected academic" has an opinion on this type of issue, I wish they would keep him away from his stash before the interview. I can just imagine him bamboozling people with this stupid idea.

Oh, what a sophisticant. How can they want to mimic the French system. Why would anyone want to?

Do the French and German systems of government have NO redeeming qualities? Is it possible that there are parts of those systems that have value and could be used as a model for reform in Thailand? I don't know, however it seems reasonable and possible that there is some value there, just as there is value in the British, Australian, American, Canadian models (okay I'm Canadian and biased towards what I know). Maybe the point is to stop hating the French?

Before the Thaksin & Co. Aera, no one talked or was interested in any political reform. Why now...?

it was but if you learn one thing from Thai political history from 1932 onwards it's that the forces of reaction always react and somehow reverse and progress made given a little time. It's happened time and time again. There are extraordinarily powerful people with a huge amount to lose if they don't reverse the tide. Suthep is their current agent.

The 1997 constitution was written by the most neutral group Thailand has put together & was a <deleted> fine constitution with very good checks & balances but there were loopholes which were exploited mercilessly & mainly by Mr T & his cohorts. If everyone had stuck to the true spirit of the '97 version then the country would be much better off. But people, & none more so than Thai politicians, are all in the mindset of take take take & no give.

and hence the need for reform yet again - to deal with the loop holes - though I don't know myself what the best changes would be. Frustrating that!

Neither sides motives are selfless. They are only interested in removing the loopholes that the other side exploits.

Its not about stopping corruption. Its about stopping your corruption.

Do the French and German systems of government have NO redeeming qualities? Is it possible that there are parts of those systems that have value and could be used as a model for reform in Thailand? I don't know, however it seems reasonable and possible that there is some value there, just as there is value in the British, Australian, American, Canadian models (okay I'm Canadian and biased towards what I know). Maybe the point is to stop hating the French?

Huh? Yeah, let's instead of picking a system with an inherited member of royalty as head of state, let's copy one with an elected president.

There are dozens of constitutional monarchies to copy that deliver strong government. But no, I bow to this academics expertise. Lol.

Hating the French? Huh. Love em to bits. Its their government I don't fancy. Of course the do have privacy rules that might be attractive to the Thai political system.

North Korea delivers strong reliable government.. I wonder if it applies to Thailand.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Yingluck will win in the end The Rif Raf will be locked up GOOD LUCK YINGLUCK

I'll vote for that

right but if you were a Thai you couldn't because a few minority thugs were able to get the whole gig annulled by forcibly blocking voting

so for Thais

"I'd like to vote for that - and I did at the election - but the judiciary didn't like the result and stopped it"

It is critical to keep complex situations as simple as possible so the naive and uneducated folk can swallow it.

Naïve realism requires simple explanations as they are most likely to correspond to direct perception. In this case the perception is "I want to vote. I did and it was stopped. Of course the educated and informed know in simple terms that is fact, but "the fruit around the argument" that caused all of this is left out. It is critical to keep is simple for the uneducated and naive to swallow. So why is the complexities of the argument or the "fruit" if you will left out? Because by leaving it out it increases the tendency toward a confirmation bias since the UDD tend to perceive more easily and quickly any information that confirms their current beliefs that judiciary is evil and needs to be scapgoated for all of the faults of the "in group" in this case the PTP. However this naive realistic belief that one always sees the world exactly as it is increases the chances of not only being wrong, but of being wrong in the same ways and about the same things over and over. Which cannot be emphasized enough though the PTP actions of continuing breaking the law knowing they can blame and demonize the courts simply because they need to transfer blame for they own faults.

Keep it simple stupid (KISS) Binjalin so the UDD supporters can swallow that bitter medicine.

The single biggest failure that sparked this entire problem was the lack of punishment for Thaksin for hiding his assets in his asset declaration.

Aside from being a crazy judgement it sent a terrible message to everyone. At the end of the day, you can write any amount of laws. No enforcement. No system.

• Like 2

cos they cant win an election ? 555

the proletariat have realized they've been shafted for years and have woken up to the fact they hold the aces ,you cant put the genie back into the bottle now

Edited by 3NUMBAS

Well it would appear that you people are against reform. The two governments were mentioned. They each have there good and there bad points. Because they were mentioned you automatically assume that is it the reformers want to rewrite and keep nothing. They don't want to improve the existing system.

It was an informal discussion with no power just a chance to discuss methods to improve the current inefficient system. For all you lot know as soon as they were mentioned they were discarded. But don't let that stop you in your drive to maintain corruption.

The more I read the surer I am that Thailand is not the only country graduating people incapable of reasoning or using logic. Just saying Yes Sir and No Sir. Like going to the circus and seeing the elephants parading holding on to the tail in front of them.

Well it would appear that you people are against reform. The two governments were mentioned. They each have there good and there bad points. Because they were mentioned you automatically assume that is it the reformers want to rewrite and keep nothing. They don't want to improve the existing system.

It was an informal discussion with no power just a chance to discuss methods to improve the current inefficient system. For all you lot know as soon as they were mentioned they were discarded. But don't let that stop you in your drive to maintain corruption.

The more I read the surer I am that Thailand is not the only country graduating people incapable of reasoning or using logic. Just saying Yes Sir and No Sir. Like going to the circus and seeing the elephants parading holding on to the tail in front of them.

Its just two truly weird selections in terms of fitting them into the Thai system.

Extraordinarily powerful people........that's called the establishment and it can't be beaten, not just in Thailand, anywhere. The establishment took many hundreds of years to form to perfection,That is something i think only Europeans can understand or other countries which have been established longer than say 500 years. Americans don't have a functioning "establishment" yet,they have laws,money,powerful people and the willingness to use brute force but the establishment has all these things and something more,its like smoke you can sometimes smell it but don't quite know where it comes from,its the soul of the powerful,in a way the soul of the country,intangible,formless,silent,intent,patient and powerful

This is exactly what Thais are good at. They wait until something is bleeding obvious and then have their smug pics taken and write a bunch of 'should do this' and 'should do that'. All the right things said, but how would they propose to get them done? What would they propose are the underlying issues? Very shallow, reactionaries as mentioned above. Of course we'll be having tons of these guys coming out with similar statements trying to gain face.

You sound like self-loathing racist.

A mistake proves that someone stopped talking long enough to do something.

Phoenix Flame

"I was profoundly impacted by my experiences in Thailand," S.E. , S.W. Asia "I learned so much and it changed who I am today, how I decide to purchase, how I talk about global human rights, and how I teach our children."

Detox and Yoga Retreat, Thailand

Why Go: Reprogram a healthy lifestyle.

can be the beginning of your journey back to balance in life. Yoga classes, group fitness classes, a daily massage, and colon hydrotherapy are incorporated. With the detox program, you'll get a final consultation with take-home guidelines for establishing a routine after you leave the white, sandy beaches and coral reefs behind.

The first step would be in turning ourselves around.

Edited by nithisa78