Visas Etc

An article in yesterday's Nation said that money placed in a bank account for the purpose of getting an extension for Non Imm visas is not to be touched as the amount has to remain above the required figure. eg 400,000 for a marriage visa,.If you happen to get checked and are found to have less than this you will be deported, according to the Nation. My impression was that this money was to be used for living expenses and needed to be topped up when next applying for a visa in a year's time. Which is correct?

If would be helpful if you could provide a link if on the web as I have not read it. As the figure of 400,000 is untrue don't hold a lot of faith in it; if that is what was printed. All I can say is have not heard of anyone being deported yet.

400,000 is right when the new regulations come in, in July.

I have always spent the money, then it has to be replaced for the next year.

Remember it is a total of 400,000 for the year, income and money in the bank!!

But it is not right today, or yesterday, when this was supposedly published and it is not right after July for those already in the system. So I still say it is not right. :o

But it is not right today, or yesterday, when this was supposedly published and it is not right after July for those already in the system. So I still say it is not right. :o

They are talking of 400,000 and as Lop says that is not yet in place. It is 200k now for someone supporting a Thai spouse or a Thai child ). You can use the money during the year and top up next renewal. A journo going off half cocked again I suspect. They don't like the facts to get in the way of a good story

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering what happens if you show your bank book to immigration & you never withdrawl money from that account during the time of your visa(1 year) and then present the untouched balance the following year to immigration?Assuming many people do this and some people have money in an account back home that prefere to live off whilst in Thailand(and just leave that money in Thai account to satisfy immigration).Does anyone do this?Can you do this?Is this doable?

Thanks!

I'm wondering what happens if you show your bank book to immigration & you never withdrawl money from that account during the time of your visa(1 year) and then present the untouched balance the following year to immigration?Assuming many people do this and some people have money in an account back home that prefere to live off whilst in Thailand(and just leave that money in Thai account to satisfy immigration).Does anyone do this?Can you do this?Is this doable?

Thanks!

IMHO opinion it won't matter at all. But remember that the rules are that there are no rules. T I T :o

Showing your bank book just won't do it in my experience. You need a letter from the bank on the same day you go into immigration stating you have the funds in the bank. Immigration explained to me that the money could be drawn out from the time you updated the bank book and the time you showed up in immigration.

The Bangkok Bank advised me that when they issue a bank letter certifying your account balance, they freeze your acount for 24 hours to support their letters contents.

I have concluded, could be wrong, that immigration relies on your account being frozen for the day you report to immigration so there is substance to the letter from the bank.

What you do with the money in the year between immigration visits is your business. No concern to immigration.

They did want source of funds and date transferred into Thailand for my first one year retirement extention and change to that status from tourist.

I have concluded, could be wrong, that immigration relies on your account being frozen for the day you report to immigration so there is substance to the letter from the bank.
The bank letter requirement was always stated as "being within a week" on previous websites so do not believe above is strictly true (but it could be a current policy). :o Also know for a fact that people have had accounts checked during "under review" period. Seems best to keep the amount above requirements until the final approval stamp.

The Bangkok Bank advised me that when they issue a bank letter certifying your account balance, they freeze your acount for 24 hours to support their letters contents.

this is true with bangkok bank as i have been told the same thing from the bank manager. other banks i'm not sure as i have only used a BB account for my extensions.

Also know for a fact that people have had accounts checked during "under review" period. Seems best to keep the amount above requirements until the final approval stamp.

good advise

The bank letter requirement was always stated as "being within a week" on previous websites so do not believe above is strictly true (but it could be a current policy). :o Also know for a fact that people have had accounts checked during "under review" period. Seems best to keep the amount above requirements until the final approval stamp.

Welcome back Lop. Good holiday ? The usual requirement is that the letter should be within 7 days of application.

Welcome back Lop. Good holiday ?

Worse air than Bangkok and incident report in Chiang Mai forum but other than that was good. Nice to get away from the humidity of Bangkok for awhile and as usual more eye candy in Chiang Mai than anywhere else in Thailand. Even the fast food greeters are hot. :o

Welcome back Lop. Good holiday ?

Worse air than Bangkok and incident report in Chiang Mai forum but other than that was good. Nice to get away from the humidity of Bangkok for awhile and as usual more eye candy in Chiang Mai than anywhere else in Thailand. Even the fast food greeters are hot. :o

:D I am a bit suspicious of you Lop ... only an eye candy man ... or ... ?