What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

infinity11

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that they think about similar things to you and I, when we pray.

If you don't pray, then I suggest you start off asking the same question of your compatriots and co-culturalists, whom you may have a hope of understanding.

SC

• Like 2

Nothing. That is the key to meditation. No, I'm not kidding. wai2.gif

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/06/18/why-doing-nothing-is-the-key-to-happiness/

Nothing to do with meditation.

The Thai Forest Tradition is a tradition of Buddhist monasticism within Thai Theravada Buddhism. Practitioners inhabit remote wilderness and forest dwellings as spiritual practice training grounds. Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika Nikaya are the two major monastic orders in Thailand that have forest traditions. The Thai Forest Tradition originated in Thailand, primarily among the Lao-speaking community in Isan.

• Like 1

A lot of different kinds of Monks in Thailand. Some good and others not so good. Some just meditate and others sweep out temples and wash dishes. There are a lot of different kinds of Christians and a lot of different kinds of Buddhists.

Generalizations about Monks is like generalizations about Christians. But you guys get a kick about crapping on anything Thai.

Do you know how dumb that makes you look? Har har. Kipling would have thought we had learned something in 100 years.

'Er petticoat was yaller an' 'er little cap was green,
An' 'er name was Supi-Yaw-Lat jes' the same as Theebaw's Queen,
An' I seed her first a-smokin' of a whackin' white cheroot,
An' wastin' Christian kisses on an 'eathen idol's foot:
1x1.gifBloomin' idol made o' mud--
1x1.gifWot they called the Great Gawd Budd--
1x1.gifPlucky lot she cared for idols when I kissed 'er where she stud!
1x1.gifOn the road to Mandalay ...

no problems with it, my wife believes in it and I will go along with her as it is not an imposition plus it is part of the culture we that we have come to live in. There are a lot of thais that do it because they believe in buddha and his teachings, nothing wrong with that and I wai too because I think it is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

no problems with it, my wife believes in it and I will go along with her as it is not an imposition plus it is part of the culture we that we have come to live in. There are a lot of thais that do it because they believe in buddha and his teachings, nothing wrong with that and I wai too because I think it is the right thing to do.

Not tooooooo sure about Buddha/his teachings and folk, as many I know are ripping each other off, even family, and folk having to pay corruption money to a Hi-So just to get a job or anything of importance.......Sadly. To me that is against the "teachings".

• Like 1

Not tooooooo sure about Buddha/his teachings and folk, as many I know are ripping each other off, even family, and folk having to pay corruption money to a Hi-So just to get a job or anything of importance.......Sadly. To me that is against the "teachings".

Read the Three Universal Truths and you will have the answer. Then you won't be sad any more. smile.png

• Like 1