Finland to release Tom of Finland homoerotic art postage stamps

Jingthing

Bizarre that a gay figure like that is a national treasure while gay rights aren't fully recognized.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I just looked it up. Basically GLBT have a high degree of legal civil rights in Finland. There are legal partnerships but adoption is not allowed for these couples. There are anti-discrimination laws. There is now majority support for marriage equality as well. I'd say the stamp is a reflection of a country tolerant towards GLBT civil rights.

Okay just got the no marriage thing from an article on the topic. Wonder if the stamps will be banned in the USA or in some states as obscene? It appears one male buttocks showing. I still think TOF postage stamps are a bit bizarre but seems it is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well, I do think it's newsworthy. To me Tom of Finland images are more iconic than bizarre, but on a postage stamp, yes, to me surprising. I don't think there are releasing anything obscene ... only homoerotic. It is interesting question what happens when some of the racier ones are sent on a letter to countries with anti-gay laws such as Russia, Uganda, Iran, etc. Someone in Finland should start an online service like that ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You said it yourself in your first post, JT.....postage stamps are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

The political statement is not irrelevant.

More like a desperate effort by the Finnish PO to boost revenue from collectors. I don't know what the situation in Finland is like, but in most countries the postal authorities are making increasingly large numbers of issues for a rapidly decreasing number of serious collectors; in my experience, few of these collect current or recent issues.

For example, in Thailand, unless you deliberately go to a large PO with a philatelic section, you simply never hear of new issues.

You said it yourself in your first post, JT.....postage stamps are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

The political statement is not irrelevant.

More like a desperate effort by the Finnish PO to boost revenue from collectors. I don't know what the situation in Finland is like, but in most countries the postal authorities are making increasingly large numbers of issues for a rapidly decreasing number of serious collectors; in my experience, few of these collect current or recent issues.

For example, in Thailand, unless you deliberately go to a large PO with a philatelic section, you simply never hear of new issues.

OK; I don't see a problem with targeting collectors.

It still is a political statement though, and as you can see with this thread, it is going around the world.

But don't most stamp collectors have to have the stamp cancelled? So someone could set up a business sending the stamps on letters so they get cancelled.

Not sure about that but I do think there is a business op for people to send these stamps on letters from Finland. The artist really has a lot of fans. Most of them are also into OPERA.

Are there a lot gay stamp collectors?

Why should that be a straight domain?

I used to collect stamps until nobody fell for "let me show you my stamp collection" any more. In fact, they came to my room but were surprised that I indeed had a stamp collection...

I preferred pristine new stamps in mint condition rather than cancelled stamps.

But don't most stamp collectors have to have the stamp cancelled? So someone could set up a business sending the stamps on letters so they get cancelled.

Maybe most do. I send a postcards to my mom when I travel, just to have the stamp show "Hawaii" or "Cape Town" or what. Some tourist spots have special post offices that even show the theme park you are in.

But I don't think that applies for serious stamp collectors. In my mind, they would prefer a pristine stamp or the whole set, even still packed in plastic. The expert (or the internet) will know which year this particular set was issued.

Click on the link and the answer is obviously YES.

What other country has homoerotic art on their stamps?

jinny, you san Francisco clone you....

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Edited by marcusd

Click on the link and the answer is obviously YES.

What other country has homoerotic art on their stamps?

junny, you sanfrancisco clone you....

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Actually not. But it's still art.

My hangout was THE STUD (when it was on Folsom) which back in the day was the alternative ANTI-CLONE bar.

(Also the Endup, such a great name, and Oil Can Harry's for rice)

Edited by Jingthing

I collected both coins and stamps until puberty kicked in (wub.png late) ...

Also baseball cards.

I just collected the baseball players

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I tried that but had better luck with quarterbacks and priests (matzoh queens).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1