Texas executes man convicted in stabbing murders

webfact

Texas executes man convicted in stabbing murders

WASHINGTON - The US state of Texas executed a man on Wednesday for stabbing to death his ex-girlfriend, her young son and her mother, state prison authorities said.

Jose Villegas, 38, was put to death by lethal injection and pronounced dead at 7.04pm local time (8.04am Singapore time) in Huntsville, said Jason Clark, spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

It was the 17th US execution this year and the seventh in Texas, where an execution has occurred each week over the past five weeks.

Authorities in Texas have executed 515 individuals since the death penalty was reestablished in the United States in 1976. The state is responsible for more than a third of executions nationwide, since then.

Full story: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/texas-executes-man-convicted-stabbing-murders

-- asiaone 2014-04-17

Something Texas does right. The only problem is the many years that these scum are a burden to the taxpayer while they prolong the appeal process. They should just feed them to the bears at the zoo the same day they are convicted.

and if they've got the wrong guy ?

Then they shouldn't put anyone in prison for the same reason, right?

This guy never denied killing those people including a 3 year old boy. His "excuse" was that he was mentally impaired because he was on cocaine. That's what's called an affirmative defense. Yes I did it but...

The courts had no sympathy for him, nor do I.

• Like 2

Something Texas does right. The only problem is the many years that these scum are a burden to the taxpayer while they prolong the appeal process. They should just feed them to the bears at the zoo the same day they are convicted.

That's a stupid question. You honestly think I believe the state should be executing innocent people? Stop wasting bandwidth.

That's a stupid question. You honestly think I believe the state should be executing innocent people? Stop wasting bandwidth.

You ought to read this then.

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1109&context=lcp

You ought to read this then.

Perhaps in the past, but in the age of DNA matching, wrongful prosecution has been greatly reduced. Personally I agree with capital punishment as a deterrent to violent crime and if not a deterrent, as a punishment.

Perhaps in the past, but in the age of DNA matching, wrongful prosecution has been greatly reduced. Personally I agree with capital punishment as a deterrent to violent crime and if not a deterrent, as a punishment.

Yes, there are some criminals that are so evil with crimes so reprehensible that the best thing to do is put them down. There is no rehabilitating them and for the good of society they need to be removed...and I really resent my tax dollars being used to take care of them. Also,every time a violent criminal is paroled there is a chance that some innocent person will be murdered. How many times have we seen this in the news? Too many to count. Just kill 'em for chrissakes.

• Like 1

For all those incorrect convictions the original killer is still on the loose.

For wrongful convictions the killer is still on the loose whether it is a capital case or one involving incarceration only.

In this case, it seems that they have gotten the right guy whether you agree with the punishment or not.

In other capital cases, there is usually compelling evidence and there is usually a long list of of crimes before they decide to put someone down. Seldom is it an unfortunate one-off event.

For wrongful convictions the killer is still on the loose whether it is a capital case or one involving incarceration only.

There have been a number of cases in the UK where the incorrectly imprisoned person has continued to protest their innocence, has eventually been found to be telling the truth and has been released. You can't do that with dead men.

There have been a number of cases in the UK where the incorrectly imprisoned person has continued to protest their innocence, has eventually been found to be telling the truth and has been released. You can't do that with dead men.

...and these three individuals did not get any reprieve either nor did they have an additional 12 years of life..

From the linked article:

Villegas was sentenced to death for the January 2002 murder of his 24-year-old ex-girlfriend, her three-year-old son and her 51-year-old mother, who were stabbed multiple times. -

See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/texas-executes-man-convicted-stabbing-murders#sthash.YS1ynCGb.dpuf

• Like 1

No need to read the link. Those guys were all innocent, 100%. All you had to do was ask them. As a matter of fact, they had all been set up by others and their life story was one miscarriage of justice after another.

Of course the victims of their crimes felt quite a bit different about it. Most of them, by the way were sex offenders, and most had molested children. A few were also murderers.

We live in an imperfect world. Mistakes are made.

Airplanes crash because mistakes are made. Let's stop all flights to stop unnecessary deaths.

Hospitals make mistakes, people die. Let's close all hospitals to stop unnecessary deaths.

Accidents occur everyday on the roads. Let's shut down all roads to stop unnecessary deaths.

I'm all for majority rule. The folks in Texas obviously want the death penalty and are willing to cope with the occasional miscarriage of justice to see the majority, guilty as hell, deserve to die scum, actually pay the ultimate price.

While I agree that years and tax payers dollars are wasted on death row, the silver lining is a psychological death sentence waiting for them. Tick, tock, tick, tock. Everyday wondering how much time before they die. Hope they suffer.

Bleeding heart liberals make me sick. I would post my thoughts, but a ban might follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by sean in udon
  • Like 1

No need to read the link. Those guys were all innocent, 100%. All you had to do was ask them. As a matter of fact, they had all been set up by others and their life story was one miscarriage of justice after another.

Of course the victims of their crimes felt quite a bit different about it. Most of them, by the way were sex offenders, and most had molested children. A few were also murderers.

You do need to read the link. It is a list of people who were convicted of crimes that they were later found not to have committed. Still as long as someone got punished for it even if it wasn't them who did it 'No need to read the link'...

We live in an imperfect world. Mistakes are made.

Airplanes crash because mistakes are made. Let's stop all flights to stop unnecessary deaths.

Hospitals make mistakes, people die. Let's close all hospitals to stop unnecessary deaths.

Accidents occur everyday on the roads. Let's shut down all roads to stop unnecessary deaths.

I'm all for majority rule. The folks in Texas obviously want the death penalty and are willing to cope with the occasional miscarriage of justice to see the majority, guilty as hell, deserve to die scum, actually pay the ultimate price.

While I agree that years and tax payers dollars are wasted on death row,

It seems to be a preoccupation with Americans how many 'tax dollars' are 'wasted' on death row rather than those being executed are guilty or not.

I can assure you, Sustento, I don't need to read that link. I've read up on miscarriages of justice before, and it a lot greater detail than that link. I've also worked with prisoners, and like I said, I've never been in one place with sooooo many innocent people. Just ask them.

By the way, I am not a supporter of the death penalty. But like Louise said to Thelma in the movie "Thelma and Louise", Texas is one place you don't want to get caught when you just blew somebody away.

I can assure you, Sustento, I don't need to read that link. I've read up on miscarriages of justice before, and it a lot greater detail than that link. I've also worked with prisoners, and like I said, I've never been in one place with sooooo many innocent people. Just ask them.

By the way, I am not a supporter of the death penalty. But like Louise said to Thelma in the movie "Thelma and Louise", Texas is one place you don't want to get caught when you just blew somebody away.

So true. Everyone in jail is innocent. EVERYONE!!!!!! It's is crazy talking to these guys even when what they tell you is protected by attorney client privilege.

Totally cool to be against death penalty from a moral of philosophical perspective, but the need to try and rationalize it by this innocents get put to death argument is a bit ridiculous.

Death penalty cases are handled differently these days. We now have death eligible or death qualified juries. Only certain death eligible defense lawyers can defend cases. They get two lawyers at state expense. Appellate review at all levels is beyond thorough.

Prosecutors are selective about seeking death penalty and rarely even seek it in cases with the aggravating circumstances present. The cases generally have to be particularly heinous with very strong direct evidence before death penalty is actually sought these days.

Not too long ago, accused horse thieves were guaranteed a prompt trial followed by a first class hanging. We have come a long ways, especially in the last 10 or 15 years.

Edited by F430murci

Glen Ford was recently released from an American jail- not gulity... Had been on deathrow for 30 years...Also given approx $11,000 for each year. No justice for taking the best years of this mans life. The people that wrongly convicted him, should now spend the same amount of time locked up.

For this reason I don't belive in the death penalty. I also belive that certain individuals can not be rehabilitated...and need to be locked up forever.

Yeah Scott, in my day I caught grubs red handed, saw the crime committed with my own perfectly functioning eyeballs and many of these guys and girls were innocent too and they certainly tied up no shortage of tax payer funded legal aid and the courts time to try and prove their so called innocents.

Texas has done a good job, IMHO.

Pity the rest of the world doesn't follow suit with such heinous crime.