Four die and 24 injured in Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son bus crash

webfact

Four die and 24 injured in bus crash

eeccajfk7h5jf5f8dfh6a-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Four passengers were killed and 24 others injured, four seriously, when a double-deck bus from Chiang Mai veered off mountain road, falling down and overturned.

The bus was on the way from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son on Highway108 when it went off the mountain road after trying to avoid hitting an oncoming motorcycle.

The accident happened at 9.30 a.m.Thursday near Kilometer markers 23 and 24 on the way to Hot district.

Four passengers died at the scene,and 24 others were injured, four seriously.

Rescue workers later rushed all the injured to Hot hospital.

The police said they were investigating the accident to find exact cause of accident.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-die-24-injured-bus-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-17

Wonder whether it was the bus or the motorcycle that was cornering on the wrong side of the road ...or both ?

Would guess the bus was going downhill and drifted onto the wrong side of the road at a bend. And that the motorcy was going uphill, so probably no reason to be on the wrong side of the road.

RIP. "double-deck bus" A major scourge of bus deaths in Thailand.

Possibly.

Except... that..

it wasnt..

a double deck bus.

So.. what else will they come up with this time. Maybe it's buses painted orange. Makes about as much sense.

Also: You might as well not bother reading news articles in most actual newspapers beyond the headlien, as the details

are

...always...

wrong.

1560624_705778579468375_8748691474387906

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Possibly.

Except... that..

it wasnt..

a double deck bus.

So.. what else will they come up with this time. Maybe it's buses painted orange. Makes about as much sense.

Also: You might as well not bother reading news articles in most actual newspapers beyond the headlien, as the details

are

...always...

wrong.

My first thoughts were : "That's not a double decker"

Second thought was : "OMG not much left of the top deck"

Third & final thought : "The roof rack is the extra deck, if needed, but they don't do that in Thailand...."

• Like 2

Possibly.

Except... that..

it wasnt..

a double deck bus.

are

...always...

wrong.

Third & final thought : "The roof rack is the extra deck, if needed, but they don't do that in Thailand...."

In India it would have looked like this

indianbus4.jpg

Possibly.

Except... that..

it wasnt..

a double deck bus.

are

...always...

wrong.

In India it would have looked like this

indianbus4.jpg

Been there, done that, in Nepal.

And the train in Ecuador.

Edited by MESmith

Three killed and 40 injured in a double-decker bus crash in Kanchanaburi province as well today.

For a considerable while it was one every other day; now two a day?

Most governments take drastic measures in the face of an epidemic.

Unfortunately we live in the "Mai pben rai" culture which does have its downsides.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Do they not have any single bus-driver in Thailand capable of driving a bus full of passengers ? If not, they should stop all bus-traffic prompt. The government do not care, they are not doing anything to prevent accidents. It seems that it`s not a government duty. The government just do not GAF. Why do Thailand have a government ? They do not care about the people ???? Yingluck !!!!! Where are you and your caring government. ?????????????????????????????????

"Trying to avoid an oncoming motorcyclist"............makes a change from 'brake failure' did'nt know the road or 'wet road' Highly qaulified driver decided to sacrifice his bus and passengers to avoid just one motor cyclist ?

Wonder whether it was the bus or the motorcycle that was cornering on the wrong side of the road ...or both ?

Normally both would corner the wrong side ....and then there is no accident.

But probably 1 of the drivers was careful and sober ?coffee1.gif

Do they not have any single bus-driver in Thailand capable of driving a bus full of passengers ? If not, they should stop all bus-traffic prompt. The government do not care, they are not doing anything to prevent accidents. It seems that it`s not a government duty. The government just do not GAF. Why do Thailand have a government ? They do not care about the people ???? Yingluck !!!!! Where are you and your caring government. ?????????????????????????????????

Often wonder the same thing about bus drivers in Thailand! I was driving along Phichit to P'lok road on the 16th when overtaken by a bus that must have been doing 100k!! Not only the speed but overtook me on a two Lane highway with traffic chocker coming in the opposite direction no doubt all going home to BKK after Songkran.

All the debate about safety standards starts and ends with the drivers and not only of buses!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've ridden the Mae Hong Son loop out of Chiang Mai several times... I know as a rider that you damn well better be on guard around every turn because there could be a bus/truck/locaal motorbike in your lane, using BOTH lanes as it rounds a blind turn... the only surprise here is that the bus didnt just roll over the motorcycle and keep going.

"Trying to avoid an oncoming motorcyclist"............makes a change from 'brake failure' did'nt know the road or 'wet road' Highly qaulified driver decided to sacrifice his bus and passengers to avoid just one motor cyclist ?

Are you for real? What if it was your wife riding the bike, would you say that? Disgusting attitude, really unbelievable!

That's it. I will NEVER take a bus anywhere in Thailand again. It is like playing Russian roulette. I remember going with my ex-gf to visit her family in Lampang one time. We departed from Chiang Mai and the bus was rickety and water was constantly pouring in the back where we were sitting. It wasn' t raining out so it must have had something to do with the a/c. The bus driver was driving like a madman. He was racing around the curves at breakneck speed and flying down the hills like a bat out of hell. All it would have taken was a tire blowout or some other event to cause the driver to lose control and we would have been crushed like worm. My current gf wants to visit her family in Isan upon my return to chiang mai this fall but I am going to tell her no way Jose am I going by bus. All I read, seemingly ever week, is another bus crash in Thailand with multiple fatalities and many severely injured. It is apparent to me that things are out of control and I am going to avoid riding these buses.

Brake failure? You can see the hand brake was in perfect working order in the various photos of the red bus.

Are you for real? What if it was your wife riding the bike, would you say that? Disgusting attitude, really unbelievable!

Good question. Not so easy to answer though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

• Like 1