Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

^

> I thought this bike is a good idea especially for old, pregnant or disabled people but as long as it cant stay upright it is not super beneficial for them anymore

Yep ll2, and with this assumption you were wrong. The Tricity is no bike for disabled people. This is why it is not designed to stay upright.

Well, it should be good if the bike can stay upright. So more people can get more benefit out of it? No?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^

> I thought this bike is a good idea especially for old, pregnant or disabled people but as long as it cant stay upright it is not super beneficial for them anymore

Yep ll2, and with this assumption you were wrong. The Tricity is no bike for disabled people. This is why it is not designed to stay upright.

Well, it should be good if the bike can stay upright. So more people can get more benefit out of it? No?

Maybe. Butttttt......... It doesn't. So it's rather pointless to continue on about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

^

Maybe you should put some some training wheels on your bike if you think its a benefit? thumbsup.gif

^

Maybe you should put some some training wheels on your bike if you think its a benefit? thumbsup.gif

Classic word salad from you again wantan?

I am not saying i need a three wheeled bike and you know that still you call my name. I am just saying it should be better if it stays upright. If it does not matter for you guys, you can just go buy one.

^

Why should it stay upright in your opinion? Please tell me.

Its made for young urban people. Bikes for disabled or old people have two wheels at the back (for good reasons).

I think it makes it easier for people especially disabled, challanged or the ones do not have riding experience much.

So then you tell me wantan; what is the reason for yamaha to make a three wheeled scooter that cannot stay upright? What kind benefits will it offer more than a two wheeled scooter?

Do not understand why some people keep bringing up piaggio or other brands.

While the concept is the same Yamaha is 4 times cheaper .

If you want bike stands by itself then pay triple , but for safer riding Yamaha has done great

Because Piaggio has been first to introduce such a vehicle, hold patents, and is the logical reference in a conversation. If that bothers you just skip these postings. Also, Piaggio is so more expensive in Thailand only because the protectionist tax scheme. In Europe it come at comparable price.

^

Its made for young urban people. Bikes for disabled or old people have two wheels at the back (for good reasons).

I think it makes it easier for people especially disabled, challanged or the ones do not have riding experience much.

Not only. It is also appealing to experienced bikes that apprecate a safer less worrying drive when they are riding in adverse conditions or for utility purposes.

So then you tell me wantan; what is the reason for yamaha to make a three wheeled scooter that cannot stay upright?

In order to stay upright the linkage between the wheels needs to be stiffened when the vehicle is standing. Piaggio does this with an hydraulic device that is speed controlled. Yamaha doesn't have that.

What kind benefits will it offer more than a two wheeled scooter?

The important benefits of better stability, safety and comfort.

^

So then you tell me wantan; what is the reason for yamaha to make a three wheeled scooter that cannot stay upright? What kind benefits will it offer more than a two wheeled scooter?

The reasons why it doesn't stay upright are simple. There is no need for staying upright. So hard to understand/accept? Why doesn't your CBR have training wheels so disabled people can ride it? Why can the Tricity not fly? biggrin.png

It would be stupid to add complexity to the construction and to make the Tricity more expensive with things noone need. And it would be heavier too. Member paz already has said this.

The bike is not made for disabled people (Yamaha has never claimed that). So noone would have any real benefit. Instead they would lose sales if disabled people start riding the Tricity. And the disabled people would be disappointed because the Tricity would still be dangerous to ride for them, even with the ability of staying upright.

Edited by wantan

Okay! Well, enough of the arguments ladies. Just had a ride at the local Yamaha dealer and loved it.

Took a second or two to get used too. Really smooth ride. None of the wobbliness you can get on 2 wheelers at low speed going through small spaces. There was 3 of us test riding with one of the staff at the front and another at the back. So 5 of these little machines blasting through the local roads caused quite a stir. Took it over plenty of bumps and it felt much nicer, the shock doesn't do straight up the Handlebars like normal - which I forget when getting back on to the PCX and had a rough ride over some bumps back home.

Acceleration is fine. It's not going to win any races but it does take off faster than cars. Had it up to 80 easily and it wanted to go faster but I couldn't escape our precision in line riding style. The dealer reckons it can hit about 110 and hold it there. (With Thai people I'm assuming)

Cornering is great, can do really sharp turns easily and there isn't even a hint of anything about to slide out from under you.

Lane splitting is easy! No sweat, the locals were ahead of me so I went where they went, and a few of the gaps didn't seem possible to fit though but there was miles of room between the cars and I. Probably something that you would get used too over time. Again, super stable doing this too.

The CVT transmission. Is different on a bike. Just feels like it sits at high revs the second you twist the grip and speed gathers at a decent pace.

To the member who wondered what happens if you just let the bike fall, it slowly slowly starts to topple but feels safe and it was easy to rescue, wasn't super heavy or anything to keep up. Stopped at the lights I found minimal effort is required to hold it upright.

In the end I put a deposit down on one. At only 500 baht I've got nothing to lose and will make a more collective decision later on. The deposit guarantees the price of 79,500. 1500 for on road costs and 2,500 for 2 years of 1st class insurance also.

I loved it. Others will too. Others will hate it. Either way I'm gonna put my new Yamaha shirt on, relax with a beer and the wife and reflect on a good day.

post-195861-13991139989828_thumb.jpg

do you need to put the side stand to park it ?

Yeah you do. It has a side stand and centre stand also. No trouble using either.

No, it doesn't have a lock feature to those who keep going on about it (not you spoon man). But take it for what it is. A new stable, affordable and safe option that will suit some people down to a T, while others wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

^

The reasons why it doesn't stay upright are simple. There is no need for staying upright. So hard to understand/accept? Why doesn't your CBR have training wheels so disabled people can ride it? Why can the Tricity not fly? biggrin.png

It would be stupid to add complexity to the construction and to make the Tricity more expensive with things noone need. And it would be heavier too. Member paz already has said this.

The bike is not made for disabled people (Yamaha has never claimed that). So noone would have any real benefit. Instead they would lose sales if disabled people start riding the Tricity. And the disabled people would be disappointed because the Tricity would still be dangerous to ride for them, even with the ability of staying upright.

Paz said other things too in his post but you choose ones that you liked with a tweezers. And anyway those are Paz's ideas.

It should be better if Yamaha made this bike staying upright like other makers are doing for more safety, practicality and worry free ride.

Edited by ll2

Paz said other things too in his post but you choose ones that you liked with a tweezers. And anyway those are Paz's ideas.

It should be better if Yamaha made this bike staying upright like other makers are doing for more safety, practicality and worry free ride.

But the other manufacturers didn't do this to make a bike for disabled people. Why not simply accept that i am right and you are wrong? thumbsup.gif

You should accept that there are lots of people who neither want nor need and for sure are not willing to pay for this features.

It's more practical without the added weight. And also the added expense on what is a low powered, heavy scooter. Making it heavier makes it less practical, making it more expensive, silly.

There is also no need for it.

Since we're still debating on the standing feature (and there's nothing wrong with that), my opinion in fact is that's something very nice to have, but not absolutely necessary and likely not a deal breaker for most buyers.

Now, you guys may know that the entire Piaggio MP3 concept is the subject of patent in the US and probably more countries
http://www.google.com/patents/US7073806

...permits the driver to avoid placing his feet on the ground when stopped.
...ease of manoeuvring when stopped
...elimination of the kick stand, in case of insertion of a rolling block;

What I don't know is how Yamaha circumvented the patent, of if they are paying royalties, or whatelse, considering how Piaggio is serious about their intellectual property. In 2011 chinese knock-offs that went on display at the Milan show got seized

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/chinese-mp3-copies-seized-at-eicma/19485.html

And Vespa copies gots seized in 2013.

Okay! Well, enough of the arguments ladies. Just had a ride at the local Yamaha dealer and loved it.

Took a second or two to get used too. Really smooth ride. None of the wobbliness you can get on 2 wheelers at low speed going through small spaces. There was 3 of us test riding with one of the staff at the front and another at the back. So 5 of these little machines blasting through the local roads caused quite a stir. Took it over plenty of bumps and it felt much nicer, the shock doesn't do straight up the Handlebars like normal - which I forget when getting back on to the PCX and had a rough ride over some bumps back home.

Acceleration is fine. It's not going to win any races but it does take off faster than cars. Had it up to 80 easily and it wanted to go faster but I couldn't escape our precision in line riding style. The dealer reckons it can hit about 110 and hold it there. (With Thai people I'm assuming)

Cornering is great, can do really sharp turns easily and there isn't even a hint of anything about to slide out from under you.

Lane splitting is easy! No sweat, the locals were ahead of me so I went where they went, and a few of the gaps didn't seem possible to fit though but there was miles of room between the cars and I. Probably something that you would get used too over time. Again, super stable doing this too.

The CVT transmission. Is different on a bike. Just feels like it sits at high revs the second you twist the grip and speed gathers at a decent pace.

To the member who wondered what happens if you just let the bike fall, it slowly slowly starts to topple but feels safe and it was easy to rescue, wasn't super heavy or anything to keep up. Stopped at the lights I found minimal effort is required to hold it upright.

In the end I put a deposit down on one. At only 500 baht I've got nothing to lose and will make a more collective decision later on. The deposit guarantees the price of 79,500. 1500 for on road costs and 2,500 for 2 years of 1st class insurance also.

I loved it. Others will too. Others will hate it. Either way I'm gonna put my new Yamaha shirt on, relax with a beer and the wife and reflect on a good day.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1399113996.843874.jpg

Nice informative post ThaiWai...........

Yamaha's design is sufficiently different from Piaggio's so that patent infringement is not an issue.

Tricity requires foot-down stops, has kickstand... .

Numerous 3-wheeled (2 in front) vehicles have been marketed.

Even Bucky Fuller built one.

^

ll2,you've mention before,that you don't understand the Tricity concept,because you keep thinking it's made for disable people....well,after all those post you still don't get it ?!...I will suggest you stop at Yamaha and test one yourself...if after the test you'll still have problem understanding the concept,than give us your opinion again...sure enough? wink.png

If you want bike stands by itself then pay triple , but for safer riding Yamaha has done great

Because Piaggio has been first to introduce such a vehicle, hold patents, and is the logical reference in a conversation. If that bothers you just skip these postings. Also, Piaggio is so more expensive in Thailand only because the protectionist tax scheme. In Europe it come at comparable price.

You have got be joking????

Comparable price, i suggest you do some research before posting rubbish

Secondly what patent? Patent on 3 wheeler?

Here educate yourself a little

Yamaha Europe has announced the three-wheeler Tricity 125 Scooter will be offered to European (and other) customers as a 2015 model—at a price well under its competitor, the Piaggio MP3 125.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/03/md-first-look-yamaha-tri-city/

Edited by Pralaad

Since we're still debating on the standing feature (and there's nothing wrong with that), my opinion in fact is that's something very nice to have, but not absolutely necessary and likely not a deal breaker for most buyers.

Now, you guys may know that the entire Piaggio MP3 concept is the subject of patent in the US and probably more countries

http://www.google.com/patents/US7073806

...permits the driver to avoid placing his feet on the ground when stopped.

...ease of manoeuvring when stopped

...elimination of the kick stand, in case of insertion of a rolling block;

What I don't know is how Yamaha circumvented the patent, of if they are paying royalties, or whatelse, considering how Piaggio is serious about their intellectual property. In 2011 chinese knock-offs that went on display at the Milan show got seized

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/chinese-mp3-copies-seized-at-eicma/19485.html

And Vespa copies gots seized in 2013.

The only thing the 2 have in common is the 3 wheels and nothing much else.

I am certain Yamaha is not a Chinese knock off company and is large enough to know what they are doing.

There are a number of 3 wheelers out there from different brands

You have got be joking????

Comparable price, i suggest you do some research before posting rubbish

Secondly what patent? Patent on 3 wheeler?

Here educate yourself a little

Yamaha Europe has announced the three-wheeler Tricity 125 Scooter will be offered to European (and other) customers as a 2015 model[/size]at a price well under its competitor, the Piaggio MP3 125.[/size]

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/03/md-first-look-yamaha-tri-city/

Actually it's you that should research a little more, and chill a little.

Piaggio doesn't make anymore the MP3 125cc. When they did until 2008 it was priced officially EUR 4,700 in Italy.

http://www.moto.it/listino/piaggio/mp3/index.html?model=5574

Tricity price is announced to be less than EUR 4,000 hence is comparable within the 125cc category.

Then, Piaggio holds at least six patents on the MP3. One I have linked in my previous posting. If you doubt its validity talk to the patent office or check the link on chinese copy being seized, again above.

Edited by paz

Interesting to see both side and centre stands on the accessories brochure.

I wonder if there is a fork lock switch for parking purposes that no one has found yet ...

I had a good look around the bike and didn't see anything like that. Also begs the question if it had that ability why were the Yahama staff not using it?

It just can't do it. Wheels are really close together at the front, so it would have trouble even if they made it with this feature I think.

Interesting to see both side and centre stands on the accessories brochure.

I wonder if there is a fork lock switch for parking purposes that no one has found yet ...

I had a good look around the bike and didn't see anything like that. Also begs the question if it had that ability why were the Yahama staff not using it?

It just can't do it. Wheels are really close together at the front, so it would have trouble even if they made it with this feature I think.

I didn't really think that it had been overlooked ... suspension lock forks are fairly standard on mountain bikes from about $400 upwards which got me thinking why not here. I guess just not practical / possible with such a narrow wheelbase as you point out.

I wonder how well this design would work well on steep and slippery trails ...

I

And Vespa copies got seized in 2013.

Vespa is Piaggio. Why would anyone seize a scooter made by the company that holds the patent?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering as I walked by the Yamaha dealer the other day. How are the mechanics going to get a Tricity on the narrow bike lifts to do maintenance or repair?

Edited by VocalNeal

But the other manufacturers didn't do this to make a bike for disabled people. Why not simply accept that i am right and you are wrong? thumbsup.gif

You should accept that there are lots of people who neither want nor need and for sure are not willing to pay for this features.

Wow. It came to a point like you are right and I am wrong. So shallow man.

You are the greatest wantan, of course you are rightlaugh.png

If you still do not want to realize the extra benefits if this bike can stay upright, what can I say to you.

Maybe you better consider using these eye covers in the photo attached! Less headache for you, you know what I mean.

post-184955-0-70029100-1399179677_thumb.

Edited by ll2

ll2,you've mention before,that you don't understand the Tricity concept,because you keep thinking it's made for disable people....well,after all those post you still don't get it ?!...I will suggest you stop at Yamaha and test one yourself...if after the test you'll still have problem understanding the concept,than give us your opinion again...sure enough? wink.png

I am not saying it is made for disabled people, just read my posts carefully.

I am just saying it makes it more practical for everyone, even for disabled.

Can you oppose that?

Edited by ll2

II2 I think we all understand the benefits if it can stand upright. What we are saying is that it doesn't, no matter how hard we try or how much you argue, the bike won't stand up of its own accord.

Therefore I think continuing on this boring tangent is a little pointless. I respect your opinion, but the bike unfortunately doesn't have the feature you wish. The end. Please, get back on topic.

Edited by Thaiwi