Seven dangerous Songkran days claim 322 deaths and 3,225 injuries

webfact

Seven dangerous days claim 322 deaths and 3,225 injuries

road-accident-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 322 Songkran revellers died and 3,225 others were injured in the seven dangerous days of the Songkran festival. Only on the last day April 17, 43 persons died and 299 others were injured.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said it has recorded a total of 2,992 traffic accident cases during the seven dangerous days from April 11-17 on roads and highways nationwide.

The accidents killed 322 people and injured 3,225 others.

The death figure is one person less than last year’s 323 deaths, but the number of 3,225 injured people are higher than last year’s 3,040 injuries.

On the last day of the dangerous 7-day period, 43 people were killed and 299 others were injured in a total of 238 accidents happened in a single day on April 17.

Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest death toll of 14 while Chiang Mai had highest injuries of 144.

Drunk driving is the main cause of most accidents or 36.76&0%, and speeding 24.47%.

Motorcycle is the vehicle which engaged most accidents or 79.14% and pickup truck 11.39%.

It also said most accidents or 62.60% occurred on straight roads, while 38.74% happened on secondary roads in villages, and 36.83% on highways.

Most accidents or 32.95% happened between 4.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m.and most road victims or 52.13% are in working ages.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-dangerous-days-claim-322-deaths-3225-injuries/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-18

A sad state of affairs.

"The death figure is one person less than last year’s 323 deaths"

Do I have to congratulate the police and authorities for their efforts to reduce deaths?

Drove to Khon Kaen from Ban Phai many times during Songkran, many police ckeckpoints around, not one policeman to be seen on site.

Edited by Costas2008

Lets do some basic math!

322 deaths over 7 days is 46 deaths per day.

46 deaths per day over 365 days is 16,790 deaths per year.

In 2010, the number of road deaths in Thailand for the year was approximately 26,000.

So either Thailand has been very successful over the past 3 years of cutting road fatalities or Songran isn't any more dangerous than any other 7 day period throughout the year...

• Like 2

Special Report: This year's Songkran death toll a slight decline from 2013's

The cumulative death toll of road accidents during the seven dangerous day period this year stands at 322.

The final tally revealed on Friday indicated that during April 11-17, a total of 2,992 accidents took place during Songkran, killing 322 people and injuring 3,225 others. The death toll is down 0.31% from the same period last year.

Like in 2013, drunk driving and speeding are the two major causes of accidents. Most of the accidents involved motorcycles (80.75%) and pickup trucks (9.73%), and occurred during 4pm-8pm.

Nakhon Ratchasima reported the largest number of fatalities at 14, while Chiang Mai province saw the highest accumulated number of accidents at 116 and the highest accumulated number of injuries at 114.

Meanwhile, Chai Nat, Phetchaburi, Ang Thong, Phangnga and Yala reported a zero death toll.

At least 300 people die every year in road accidents during what is known as the "seven dangerous days" of Songkran. Authorities again launched a road safety campaign this year, hoping to reduce the annual carnage.

A recent study found that 70% of people who died on the road during the the annual New Year and Songkran holidays had extremely high alcohol levels in their blood.

The Road Safety Direction Centre's report for the road toll last year comes down to 592,645 injuries, 1,271 people were crippled and 7,084 dead. The World Health Organisation's Global Status report on Road Safety 2013 says 26% of road traffic deaths in Thailand involved alcohol.

According to a new study, Thailand ranks fourth on the list as the world’s heaviest drinkers. Out of the 44 countries studied by Euromonitor, Thais were found to be the fourth hardest drinkers at 4.5 shots per week, closely trailing behind South Korea, Russia, and the Phillippines.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-04-18

A sad state of affairs.

"The death figure is one person less than last year’s 323 deaths"

Do I have to congratulate the police and authorities for their efforts to reduce deaths?

Drove to Khon Kaen from Ban Phai many times during Songkran, many police ckeckpoints around, not one policeman to be seen on site.

I came back from Buriram on the 15th. Lots of checkpoints, and police too. But all of them just sitting around talking, playing on cell phones, sleeping or drinking coffee. None of them doing anything constructive. Not one.

One of the scaries road trips I have ever done in my life and not one I intend to repeat. Idiot mororcycles and the car drivers that just will NOT slow down for traffic. Impatience seems to be the key trait here.

Just happy to get back to Bangkok alive.

Lets do some basic math!

In 2010, the number of road deaths in Thailand for the year was approximately 26,000.

So either Thailand has been very successful over the past 3 years of cutting road fatalities or Songran isn't any more dangerous than any other 7 day period throughout the year...

My thoughts exactly - it seems that the death rate over Songkran is just over half than for the other 351 days (there are also the "7 dangerous' New Years days).

So instead of "Seven Dangerous Songkran Days" we should just have "351 Extremely Dangerous Thailand Days" with regards to driving.

• Like 1

The statistics are an indictment on successive Gov'ts, responsible agencies & Police in Thailand.

No serious actions have or are taken to reduce the road toll, just given lip service.

Until steps are taken through safety legislation, safety programs & proper enforcement without graft; the country will continue to have an unacceptable level of road tolls.

There are plenty of countries worldwide from which to draw on or emulate their successful road safety programs; only needs the Gov't of the day, responsible agencies & Police to get serious!!.

Lets do some basic math!

My thoughts exactly - it seems that the death rate over Songkran is just over half than for the other 351 days (there are also the "7 dangerous' New Years days).

So instead of "Seven Dangerous Songkran Days" we should just have "351 Extremely Dangerous Thailand Days" with regards to driving.

Indeed, a good case for having Songkran all year round.

I found this in support of vaultdwellers numbers:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

More dead during Songkran (even with the under-reported numbers) than lost on Malaysian flight MH370 and the ferry boat capsizing in South Korea. Should be a national disaster but it's just Songkran.

Today I experienced the real Songkran in Nauklua Pattaya. There were almost 99% Thai people there. No one throw water with their guns in my eyes, ears, face or head. They gently put some mud on your face or wet you with a bowl of water very gently or with the gun (not on the face only the neck below). So for all those who are scare of Songkran I must say they should be scare of Farang playing the Songkran. If they follow what Thai people do there will not be any fight, killing etc , of course unless they consume drugs or drinks.

• Like 2

Asians can't drive proofs in the pudding

Glad you said Asians.

I lived in the southern suburbs Of Vancouver British Columbia Canada for 10 years and knew that just from watching them there. Came as no surprise to me when I came to Thailand.

Edit Does any one know the figures for any other 7 day time span. These figures don't seem to be to far out of line from what I have heard.

Edited by northernjohn

Lets do some basic math!

Your math is correct...

Statistic lays between 70-75 killed/per day

Songkran has 40% less killed then average :-P

Lets have songkran every day ;-)