Domino’s Pizza Hits Thailand

Lite Beer

I think it would be hard to serve good pizza to the masses in Thailand because good cheese is so expensive.

I gave up trying to find real pizza in Thailand. It was also changed, perhaps to suit Thai tastes?

I find that a lot of Thais like some Western foods a lot and I don't think it's necessary to change the pizza recipes from what's served in the West to attract Thais. The question would be cost.

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Domino Pizza ??? it is a biggest sh it pizza what I have eaten ever.

2-3 weeks ago I deliver myself to our office 2 big sets, this eas surprise to employees.

I paid almost 1000 Bath and no-one told "please again".

The pizza was yellow and small, the cheese was very special, like guar-gum, never again.

The best pizza in the world is called a Grandma pizza or "Nonna" - It has an ultra thin crust, home made plum tomato sauce, garlic, and 3 types of cheese with a little parsley on top. It is sold in a pizza shop on Lexington Avenue and 70th street in New York City. Another leader now gone was Vinny's on Amsterdam Avenue and 73rd Street in New York City. Modern day chain pizza is not even the remotest equivalent. The pizza in Italy is very second rate to New York's best.

Actually it is plain good marketing for Asia, i.e. catering to Thai tastes, specific to each region, just like Shrimp flavored Lays potato chips. Fish, Squid, Shrimp or Seafood in general on a Pizza is a better option for countries which thru the generations have/had a consistent intake of such. Take whatever specialities & put it on a pizza. Forgot where, but I had a India style spicy Tandoori Chicken with a yellow curry replacing the tomato sauce...fantastic! Can you imagine a Penang Pork Curry pizza....hmmmmm.

Thailand has cows, has all the means. The country is very capable of making proper bread & cheese, they're just stuck in that Third-World forever theme. As long as we get our import tax money, progress means nothing. Even with the heat, they do have access to the huge climate controlled environments (just have to build them) & facilities for quality control (lol).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The best pizza in the world is called a Grandma pizza or "Nonna" - It has an ultra thin crust, home made plum tomato sauce, garlic, and 3 types of cheese with a little parsley on top. It is sold in a pizza shop on Lexington Avenue and 70th street in New York City. Another leader now gone was Vinny's on Amsterdam Avenue and 73rd Street in New York City. Modern day chain pizza is not even the remotest equivalent. The pizza in Italy is very second rate to New York's best.

Well food is always question of personal taste.

But in Italy it is hard for a not Italian to get the good pizza... In any town there is a good pizzeria but you have to know.

In Napoli there are some great places where they do the real pizza and it is the quality of the ingredients that makes the difference.

Not 3 different cheeses but just a good original mozzarella ... And never parsley... Basil yes

The dough should be done with natural yeast and a combination of different flour from the best producer.

I am not a pizza maker but let say I am in the business :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Via Vai on Soi 8 in Bangkok has a very good pizza - the best in THailand. Thin real plum tomatoes, a couple of imported cheese, wood fired.

Haven't tried them but will. I also need to try the place below the Asoke BTS.

Otherwise best I've found is Cozies on Soi 10.

Will not eat any of the chain pizzas in or out of Thailand.

I thought the Minor group held the franchise for The Pizza Hut or Domino's and then there was a parting of the ways, which produced The Pizza Company.

In early 2001, the Minor Food Group launched The Pizza Company in Thailand. It offered Thai consumers a fresh and innovative approach to pizza based on richer and heavier toppings, greater variety with thirty pizza toppings to choose from, an appealing new cheese blend, new appetizers and an overall dining experience unavailable at any of the world’s better known pizza restaurants. From the day of its launch, The Pizza Company has been Thailand’s market leader in both the dine-in and delivery segments with an estimated 70% share of the Thai market.

http://www.minorfoodgroup.com/aboutus/pizzacompany/

Of all the attempts to produce pizza I've run across in Pattaya, I find the pizza seller in the lower level food court of Central to be the best. Not saying it's the same as a real CHICAGO pizza (which is the benchmark for the rest of the world) but it's certainly better than anything else I've tasted.

Chicago pizza ... world benchmark ... really ...? I think a few Italians, like Gennaro Contaldo, would disagree with you.

Chicago Deep dish is pretty good. A bit on the heavy side. Havent tasted Gennaro Contaldo's so i cant say, but until then, i'll give my nod to a Chicago deep dish, or a simple NY cheese pizza (light on the cheese please biggrin.png)

But that's all theory, Domino's is here biggrin.png and cant wait to see if it tastes as i remember biggrin.png. McD's and BK's are close to the home version, so I'm hopeful that Domino's are also.w00t.gif

Not me.

The one we had only had fast delivery going for it.. If you went out for pizza you went elsewhere.

Here in Chiang Mia we have several places with good pizza going for them.

To call "pizza" any product that comes out from Pizza (sigh) out, Pizza (arrgh) company, or Domino pizza (crying), it's an insult to the real pizza...

What the US people call pizza is a far and awful relative of the real original Italian pizza.

I'm glad I found some decent pizza shop in Bangkok, and even Scoozi gives lots of quality more than the three mentioned.

• Like 2

If I had a pie craving & was stuck in Bangkok, 1) The Pizza Company & 2) Pizza Hut, but whatever I didn't finish after that sitting I would walk it out then & there to the trash bin. So far best pizza in Thailand have been at non-franchise restaurants/bars in the more outskirts areas, like Issan & Krabi (mainland).

The Dominos Thai version as in quality is...much, much different than I've tasted/seen in the USA.

In America, "pre-prepared" or fast food chains gave destroyed real pizza everywhere except in those struggling hard to find mom & pop shops. Such as "Big Mamas" (small chain, but closer to fresh), "Joe Peeps" "Barones"...etc., even in New York, the "New York Style" is just about gone, surrendered to "reheated", process-everything cheaper varieties.

Had Dominos twice in BK over the past 6-7 months. There's one straightforward test you can always do with a pizza to check "topping" quality, and this Dominos was interesting. Just put it on a plate (1 slice), into the frig & wait for morning. If it still looks like cheese and soft (given most refrigerated Mozzy), it's cheese, but if it has solidified than it's processed.

Finally if the cheese looks like a translucent, congealed glue-like substance. That is, if you can only lightly see the white cheese color, but mostly see clear through to the sauce underneath. It's obviously fake cheese of unknown ingredients. In addition if the toppings are not only few & largely spaced in identical grouping, of exactly the same amount (counted) for every pizza. At that point you can be sure you have the (omitted) version.

(Understanding the rules, will not say anything directly negative about Thai or any Thai business in Thailand)

Sorry but you are not making any sense to me.

Had Dominos twice in BK over the past 6-7 months. There's one straightforward test you can always do with a pizza to check "topping" quality, and this Dominos was interesting. Just put it on a plate (1 slice), into the frig & wait for morning. If it still looks like cheese and soft (given most refrigerated Mozzy), it's cheese, but if it has solidified than it's processed.

If you like it eat it. If you don't like it don't eat it.

If you like it why do you want to test the cheese. Makes no difference. You are not going to eat enough of it to harm you in any way unless you are allergic to cheese.

Excuse me sir I really like your Pizza but I don't like what you make it with.

DUH.cheesy.gif

I thought the Minor group held the franchise for The Pizza Hut or Domino's and then there was a parting of the ways, which produced The Pizza Company.

In early 2001, the Minor Food Group launched The Pizza Company in Thailand. It offered Thai consumers a fresh and innovative approach to pizza based on richer and heavier toppings, greater variety with thirty pizza toppings to choose from, an appealing new cheese blend, new appetizers and an overall dining experience unavailable at any of the world’s better known pizza restaurants. From the day of its launch, The Pizza Company has been Thailand’s market leader in both the dine-in and delivery segments with an estimated 70% share of the Thai market.

http://www.minorfoodgroup.com/aboutus/pizzacompany/

Of all the attempts to produce pizza I've run across in Pattaya, I find the pizza seller in the lower level food court of Central to be the best. Not saying it's the same as a real CHICAGO pizza (which is the benchmark for the rest of the world) but it's certainly better than anything else I've tasted.

Chicago pizza ... world benchmark ... really ...? I think a few Italians, like Gennaro Contaldo, would disagree with you.

Chicago Deep dish is pretty good. A bit on the heavy side. Havent tasted Gennaro Contaldo's so i cant say, but until then, i'll give my nod to a Chicago deep dish, or a simple NY cheese pizza (light on the cheese please biggrin.png)

But that's all theory, Domino's is here biggrin.png and cant wait to see if it tastes as i remember biggrin.png. McD's and BK's are close to the home version, so I'm hopeful that Domino's are also.w00t.gif

An intelligent response jamhar, and I look forward to any follow up you may offer :)

Will it be Domino's Pizza or will it be Domino's Thai Pizza? Pizza Hut was one of my favorite chain pizza places in the US, but the Thai version was lost in translation.

I agree. Pizza Hut and Domino's in America are much better than any pizza that you can get in Thailand, but they are not the same here. They are considered very mediocre pizzas in America, but far outshine anything in LOS. Pizza Hut does not even sell a version with a New York Crust in Thailand, which is the norm in USA. Pizza Hut is even worse in the Philippines though.

Not saying you are rite or wrong but I was wondering when you and a lot of the posters here had eaten these Pizzas they are saying are superior.

I will be honest I dished them but it has been 15 years since I had one.

So in reality I really know nothing.

For all I know they may be the best now and Panagoplopis the worst.

Why do we have to have these mega chains? The best pizza is prepared by the small operator who has a passion for the work and a vested interest in developing a business. These formula chains are a pain in the butt. They squeeze out the small guys and the product they provide is inferior. Dominos is a delivery option in an emergency rather than a frequent event.

• Like 2

If I had a pie craving & was stuck in Bangkok, 1) The Pizza Company & 2) Pizza Hut, but whatever I didn't finish after that sitting I would walk it out then & there to the trash bin. So far best pizza in Thailand have been at non-franchise restaurants/bars in the more outskirts areas, like Issan & Krabi (mainland).

The Dominos Thai version as in quality is...much, much different than I've tasted/seen in the USA.

In America, "pre-prepared" or fast food chains gave destroyed real pizza everywhere except in those struggling hard to find mom & pop shops. Such as "Big Mamas" (small chain, but closer to fresh), "Joe Peeps" "Barones"...etc., even in New York, the "New York Style" is just about gone, surrendered to "reheated", process-everything cheaper varieties.

Finally if the cheese looks like a translucent, congealed glue-like substance. That is, if you can only lightly see the white cheese color, but mostly see clear through to the sauce underneath. It's obviously fake cheese of unknown ingredients. In addition if the toppings are not only few & largely spaced in identical grouping, of exactly the same amount (counted) for every pizza. At that point you can be sure you have the (omitted) version.

(Understanding the rules, will not say anything directly negative about Thai or any Thai business in Thailand)

Sorry but you are not making any sense to me.

If you like it eat it. If you don't like it don't eat it.

If you like it why do you want to test the cheese. Makes no difference. You are not going to eat enough of it to harm you in any way unless you are allergic to cheese.

Excuse me sir I really like your Pizza but I don't like what you make it with.

DUH.cheesy.gif

What doesn't make sense, I can try 'simple English' if that helps. You need to be an American to understand, excluding those born in the 50s. Seems only a few tend to have that nonlinear mind set. Like cattle, always thinking, "I'm a cow....so I'm a cow". A creative mind is bliss. Another way to look at it, say someone spit in your burger & you knew it, would you just eat it if it still looked good, well maybe. Shorter, would you blindly eat anything any vendor gives you, esp with food which is most likely much worse for your body than any western nation fast food franchise (no detailed ingredients, no quality control, no safety control, no liability).

However...however how I read your words, I know it will never make sense. Go back to your donuts.

More crap, Western food chains opening...

I do like 1 or 2 pizzas a year, but the quality/pizzas here is simply disgusting....

Don't see this one as being any better...

All the chains, to the least as another poster put, more specially, the crust tastes literally like cardboard. The sauce is flavorless, the cheese is like a greasy plastic & the additional toppings are just extra pieces of flavorless cardboard. Though when been drinking & have the craving, there's nothing else. Think I saw a few nicer looking place in or around or off Sukhumvit. Crust, sauce, toppings no difference...the cheese though was a processed Mozzy & the price was even more hilarious.

For political reasons I will forever boycott Domino's Pizza. Domino's is owned by Bain Capital, which is owned by Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney is the chap who lost the 2012 U.S. Presidential election to Barack Obama.

In the run up to the 2012 U.S. election, Mr. Romney made a trip to the U.K. and unwittingly insulted the organizers of the 2012 London Olympics by implying that London wasn't ready to host the games. Mr. Romney had led the organizing of 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, and based on his vast experience he didn't seem to think that the city of London was up to the test. What Mr. Romney didn't take into account is that London is a much larger city and therefore a much more complex venue to provide security for than Salt Lake City, a relatively small town in the sparsely populated southwestern U.S.

Mr. Romney was rightfully criticized wholeheartedly for his lack of tact as well as for insulting the U.K. by implying a lack of security for the London games. Of course the games went off without any issues, which made Mr. Romney look even more foolish.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with the politics behind Mitt Romney's actions regarding the Olympics. I don't know much about it. I don't know what his stake is in the Domino's chain. I also don't know enough about the organizational structure of Dominos Pizza to comment on how the profits are distributed among those at the top.

I can tell you that you might need a lesson in geography. Salt Lake City isn't a town. It most certainly isn't located in the southwestern U.S. Just sayin'!!!

Compared to the city of London, Salt Lake City is a very small town. Yes, it is located in the southwestern U.S. You may be thinking of cities such as Phoenix and Las Vegas per your geographical definition of the southwestern U.S., and I included Salt Lake City in my geographical definition of the southwestern U.S.

Mitt Romney didn't realize it when he made the offhanded comment about security at the London games, yet he most definitely insulted the organizers of the 2012 London Olympics who had been preparing for the games since 2005. The organizers and much of the global media certainly reminded Mr. Romney of the security challenges faced by a large world-class city such as London compared to a small town in the southwestern U.S.