Household electricity costs likely to increase by the next billing period

webfact

Household electricity costs likely to increase by the next billing period

BANGKOK, 21 April 2014 (NNT) - The Electricity Regulatory Commission (ERC) plans to raise the FT charge between May to August by 7-10 baht per unit, which would cause electricity costs to increase by 3.82 baht per unit.

Direk Lavansiri, the Chairman of the Electricity Regulatory Commission (ERC), presided over a meeting to consider adjusting the raise the fuel adjustment tariff (FT) during the next few months.

The board would review the average electricity usage within households during the first four months of this year. He said that as of now, electricity consumption has been low due a slowing economy, but the fuel costs which are needed to generate electricity are increasing.

Reports indicate that the ERC is planning to raise the FT charge by 7 to 10 satang per unit. However, they would have to consult with the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) for approval before announcing their decision to the public whether they would raise electricity costs. Should they do so, then the costs would be increased to 3 baht and 82 satang for every unit.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-21 footer_n.gif

Meh I am not too btohered, this months bill for me was four hundred and four Bahtcoffee1.gif

Ours is ten times that. w00t.gif

Then again, we don't all live in a tent. laugh.png

Ha, neither do I w00t.gif a 2 srory house in fact! I am just economical when it comes to things such as using electricity and don't take things for granted.

Meh I am not too btohered, this months bill for me was four hundred and four Bahtcoffee1.gif

Ha, neither do I w00t.gif a 2 srory house in fact! I am just economical when it comes to things such as using electricity and don't take things for granted.

Did you have a part in the Christmas Carol????

yes, yes I did

yes, yes I did

Must get the Mrs to sit up in bed and fan me all night. Get my aircon gas re filled. I do enjoy BBQ charcoal food, and those candlelit evenings are so romantic.

I am of course joking, if you are comfy and can save good for you.thumbsup.gif

Please note the Christmas Carol occurred during winter when use of an air conditioner was not required...use of one A/C would eat up Bt404 in just a couple of days.

Yep and I do not use aircon in my house, I just use fans as they suffice and I am not an overwweight 60 something who may die from heat stroke or heart attack because of it, so on that basis aircon is negatable. I am not a Scrooge either, in fact I played one of the ghosts of Christmas past.

My bills are around 5000 a month. I love my aircon going. The wife calls me 'the penguin'.

I'm from a cold country.

We pay a much higher rate for Electricity in Thailand (per unit) than in Australia. Our monthly bill here, during the summer is only a little less than what we used to pay for TWO Months during the Aussie Summer.

Okay, before anyone says it.... "I don't want to go back to Australia to live" I'm just pointing out a fact!

You mean you like to shower with a bucket over your head? :P

My bills are around 5000 a month. I love my aircon going. The wife calls me 'the penguin'.

I'm from a cold country.

We pay a much higher rate for Electricity in Thailand (per unit) than in Australia. Our monthly bill here, during the summer is only a little less than what we used to pay for TWO Months during the Aussie Summer.

Okay, before anyone says it.... "I don't want to go back to Australia to live" I'm just pointing out a fact!

It has to be high because they have to pay out for all those subsidised solar farms.

• 1 year later...

As far as I can tell, my current (Dec-2015) costs are 3.8294 THB/unit. However, there is a fee and also some VAT on that, which means actual costs of 4.18 THB/unit(kwh). So, that is equivalent to 0.115 USD/kwh which is not bad. The real bad comes when landlords just end up collecting 8 THB/unit or 11 THB/unit (both of which I have seen).

For a family of 2.1, we consumed 307kwh (can double this in hot months), and 24k liters of water (2+ laundry/day, excessive and wasteful running of taps by the wife). That costs 338 THB + fees = .0141 THB/liter of the dirty tap water. But in reality 393.76/24,000 = .0164 THB/liter. Again not bad, but atrocious quality and water pressure (which parts of some days drops to below usable).

For a 2,000 Watt society (considered sustainable) and 20% spent on electricity and housing energy costs (all of which I set as being electrical) that means 300 units/month/person is hitting the target. We don't do that yet even as a year-round average, as the air conditioning is ridiculously wasteful (followed by the refrigerator).

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000-watt_society

Edited by khunyod

Meh I am not too bothered, this months bill for me was four hundred and four Bahtcoffee1.gif

Are you in tented accommodation ?? Mine 690--and no family---3 bed bungalow.

Oil prices lowest for years from 150 Barrel now 29 D. but electric up----------same Thai Airways prices doubled over the years yet so low a cost on operating -------------have they done away with the 150 D a barrel fuel surcharge cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

yes, yes I did

Must get the Mrs to sit up in bed and fan me all night. Get my aircon gas re filled. I do enjoy BBQ charcoal food, and those candlelit evenings are so romantic.

I am of course joking, if you are comfy and can save good for you.thumbsup.gif

I was sitting on the porch one day, sipping a beer, in the shade, when my Missus decided she wanted to hack down some palm tree limbs in the front yard. I would have happily done it for her, but she wanted to do it.

I was right in the middle of watching the Spartacus series TV show, so I told her she should bring that palm tree limb up on the porch and fan me with it, like the slave girls on Spartacus.

It made perfect sense to me. I was hot.

She threatened to beat me in the head with it instead.

I'll never understand women. biggrin.png

We will see , got my bill down from 3000 to 1300 last month now aiming for about 800

One must take into account the meter they use.

Not electric but still a utility bill is the water bill.

I lived next door to another Caucasian guy (I hate the word farang) and his water bill was all over the place. Our houses were cookie cutter identical 3 bedroom 2.5 bath places.

His water bill was 1300, 900, 1900 all over the place.

Mine was a constant, flat 500 bt/month. The meter at my place was broken. My neighbor's meter worked.

The only two people who noticed it were my neighbor and me. The folks who were supposedly in charge of it? I guess it made them 'tink too mutt', so it was ignored.

My neighbor would grumble about it endlessly, but he was cool and never told them their sh&t didn't work next door to him.

I never tired of asking him how much his water bill was last month. What are friends for?

Meh I am not too bothered, this months bill for me was four hundred and four Bahtcoffee1.gif

Are you in tented accommodation ?? Mine 690--and no family---3 bed bungalow.

Oil prices lowest for years from 150 Barrel now 29 D. but electric up----------same Thai Airways prices doubled over the years yet so low a cost on operating -------------have they done away with the 150 D a barrel fuel surcharge cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I believe the electricity generation is mainly natural gas, a good part of it imported from Myanmar. Some coal plants also, but no oil burning electricity generation. Also, there has been good increase in solar, wind, and hydro.

For my place, 2 bedrooms, one aircon, one hot water heater, mostly cf lighting (not the big fluorescent), and besides the medium sized fridge and 3 year old 9kg washing machine, only a 40"lcd and low draw electronics. Stove is induction. Rice cooker might draw a bit but only for 15 minutes. All electronics are 4 years or less, including fridge and air con. The newest ones are much more efficient than older models of just about anything.

Aircon is about 1/3 of the average yearly. Fridge is another 1/6 or so. If one can come up with truly innovative cooling solution (for humans and food) then half of the electricity demand could be mitigated.

Ah OK, this from May to August. So when Iran starts selling and prices drop again....?

Especially considering the amount of Gas Iran sits on in South Pars.

Mr Veeraphol Chirapraditkul, a member and the spokesperson of ERC, said that the committee’s resolution was to reduce the Ft surcharge of January-April 2016 by 1.57 satang/unit to -4.80 satang/unit (compared to the Ft surcharge of November-December 2015 at -3.23 satang/unit). The main factor of this Ft surcharge cut was the reduction of fuel price. The natural gas price was expected to be dropped by 15.53 baht/millionBTU to 261.19 baht/millionBTU. The share of natural gas for electricity generation would still be dominant, followed by power purchase from Laos and Malaysia, while hydropower share would be smaller because of drought, contributing to the higher cost of electricity generation.

Recently the baht exchange rate that tended to slightly depreciate, together with support of electricity purchase from renewable energy by the government via adder and FiT policy from January-April 2016 had caused the Ft surcharge to increase 4.07 satang/unit. However, a change of Ft calculation method during the period of September-December 2015 caused the Ft surcharge reduction of January-April 2016 period to -3.61 satang/unit, contributing to the overall reduction of Ft surcharge of January-April 2016 by 0.84 satang/unit.