Required documents for to convert a Tourist Visa to Non-O and then Retirement Extension

Helping an American friend get his long term stay in Thailand:

Is there a reliable website that lists the requirements and documents required to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-O Visa and ultimately a one-year extension based on retirement for the Non-O.

I think I know these:

Passport with 6 months validity.

4x6 recent pictures (half a dozen)

Completed application (multiple copies)

Medical certificate (can be obtained in Thailand from local doctor?)

Some say a Police Record clearance from home county. ( I had one years ago but no one asked for it. Is it required now?)

Monthly income verification letter from US Consulate. (2 copies)

What am I missing or can you point me to a list somewhere?

The passport would need at least 12 month on it for a 12 month extension.

Medical and Police Certificates are not required.

Basically Passport and Embassy Income verification letter is all that is needed.

Probably a proof of address as well.

Plus a few passport size photos.

Change of Visa from Tourist to Non Imm O Visa is 2,000 Baht.

12 Month Extension application is 1,900 baht

He may have to apply for the change of visa in Bangkok.

Depends where he lives.

Immigration will soon tell him what is needed.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service#

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.
  1. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
  2. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  3. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  4. Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  5. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  6. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
    5.2 A copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
    5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
    *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or
  7. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or
  8. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6 (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000
Remarks 1. The Applicant must appear in person every time.

2. The Applicant must sign to certify on every page of the Applicant’s documents.
3. To be convenient and for speedy service, the Applicant for visa or visa status alteration must arrange and submit a complete set of documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

4. For more details, please visit our website at http://bangkok.immigration.go.th
  • Like 2

He will need two need 2 income affidavits from the embassy. Immigration will an original for the visa and the extension.

He can get them both in one trip to the embassy. Immigration will accept them for 6 months from the date they are done.

He will need an appointment at the embassy or he will not get through the front doors. See: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Is he going to do this "two step" process in Chiang Mai? If so, they'll actually accept a copy of the income letter from the American Consulate for the second letter -- at least that's what they did in March for a friend of mine.

If it's not a big deal to do a return visit to the U.S. Consulate, I'd suggest he just get one income letter to start and make a copy. Inquire at Immigration if that copy can be used for the second income letter when it's time to present the second income letter during the appointment to obtain the 12-month retirement extension to the 90-day O visa. If they say no, then your friend can always go back to the U.S. Consulate to obtain a fresh income letter.

Hate to see someone sell out an extra $50 for an income letter than might not be needed, when it seems they're accepting copies of the first income letter these days at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I am no expert on this by any means and I am sure someone will dispute my info here, but I have been providing an income

statement from the American embassy for the last 6 years. I would not try to use a statement that is 6 months old as stated

above. I have had problems with ones that were only 30 days old. And yes I know it depends on the immigration officer at the

time but they like them as current as possible. And get right on the embassy appointment as they are usually booked out a few weeks, and as stated you won't get thru the door.

All of the documents listed above should get the job done, however I have found they seem to have a revolving requirement for documents. One time the will want this but not that, then the next time they want that and not this. Get all of the listed

docs in 1 folder and in a 2nd folder just carry anything you can think of, bank statement, map showing location of your house,any type of bill with your name on it and so on. Most likely you will never need any of it but it could save you a return

trip.

As long as you have the required docs with copies and in the right order it is pretty quick and painless.

• Like 1

Is he going to do this "two step" process in Chiang Mai? If so, they'll actually accept a copy of the income letter from the American Consulate for the second letter -- at least that's what they did in March for a friend of mine.

If it's not a big deal to do a return visit to the U.S. Consulate, I'd suggest he just get one income letter to start and make a copy. Inquire at Immigration if that copy can be used for the second income letter when it's time to present the second income letter during the appointment to obtain the 12-month retirement extension to the 90-day O visa. If they say no, then your friend can always go back to the U.S. Consulate to obtain a fresh income letter.

Hate to see someone sell out an extra $50 for an income letter than might not be needed, when it seems they're accepting copies of the first income letter these days at Chiang Mai Immigration.

It has not been mentioned where he will get the extension.

Bangkok immigration and many others will not accept a copy. For many it is not convenient to make another trip to the embassy or consulate to get another affidavit. The cost to make the trip back might well cost more than $50 or 1550 baht.

I am no expert on this by any means and I am sure someone will dispute my info here, but I have been providing an income

statement from the American embassy for the last 6 years. I would not try to use a statement that is 6 months old as stated

above. I have had problems with ones that were only 30 days old. And yes I know it depends on the immigration officer at the

time but they like them as current as possible. And get right on the embassy appointment as they are usually booked out a few weeks, and as stated you won't get thru the door.

All of the documents listed above should get the job done, however I have found they seem to have a revolving requirement for documents. One time the will want this but not that, then the next time they want that and not this. Get all of the listed

docs in 1 folder and in a 2nd folder just carry anything you can think of, bank statement, map showing location of your house,any type of bill with your name on it and so on. Most likely you will never need any of it but it could save you a return

trip.

As long as you have the required docs with copies and in the right order it is pretty quick and painless.

The head of immigration issued an order that income letters are valid for 6 months in May of last year.

This file contains info and a copy of the order in Thai along with a English translation of it. PCEC-NOTICE-THAI-IMMIGRATION-NEWS-JUNE-6.pdf

1. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or

1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.

Assuming one has a non-immigrant visa already, the form required for the visa extension based on retirement is TM.7.

That's right isn't it?

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the excellent idea of converting the Tourist Visa and heading towards the Non O and retirement extension. I don't have any issues with the nominal Non O and retirement extension process, but this tourist Visa first then convert path seems easier.

Thanks for the excellent idea of converting the Tourist Visa and heading towards the Non O and retirement extension. I don't have any issues with the nominal Non O and retirement extension process, but this tourist Visa first then convert path seems easier.

Actually if you can get a non-imm. O visa in first place that would be better, as it would save you some time sitting and Bt. 1,900. Plus not all Immigration offices do visa conversion.

• 11 months later...

never saw this before can I print out and Income Affidavit. Then go to the Airforce base here and have the Notary stamp it.

Will immigration in Thailand accept that or does it have to be done at the US Embassy in Thailand?

Thank you for your help

PS the Base is here in the USA

never saw this before can I print out and Income Affidavit. Then go to the Airforce base here and have the Notary stamp it.

Will immigration in Thailand accept that or does it have to be done at the US Embassy in Thailand?

Thank you for your help

PS the Base is here in the USA

As answered by UbonJoe in your other question. NO you cannot.

Forgive me but I have a really dumb question. :-(

I recently had the Tourist Visa - Non Imm O - extension based on retirement conversion plus have the multi-exit stamp.

As I have never used a multi-exit before, do I need to do anything special when leaving at the airport (like inform the Immigration officer etc?)

Also, when I return and fill in the TM7 card on the plane, do I write down the Non Imm O visa number or the number that is on my extension of stay stamp?

I recently had the Tourist Visa - Non Imm O - extension based on retirement conversion plus have the multi-exit stamp.

As I have never used a multi-exit before, do I need to do anything special when leaving at the airport (like inform the Immigration officer etc?)

Also, when I return and fill in the TM7 card on the plane, do I write down the Non Imm O visa number or the number that is on my extension of stay stamp?

It is the TM6 which is completed.

If using a re-entry permit the number on the permit should be used when filling out the TM6 CARD.

It is the TM6 which is completed.

If using a re-entry permit the number on the permit should be used when filling out the TM6 CARD.

You're right........thanks. :-)

So the number that is on the actual Multi Re-Entry permit is the one that goes on the TM6 arrivals card.

Anyone care to guess what the number is on the pic? :-( 38462 ? 8

post-75602-0-72442300-1437977407_thumb.j

Edited by Phatcharanan