Where should i send my two kids to school ?

Hi everybody,

I hope i can get some help here,...

I have two kids,.boy 10 and girl 13. I plan to take them from scandinavia for a period of 4-6 years.

They are already taking privat classes in English and thai,.( they bought speak thai,,(mother is thai )

I am looking for an international or english program school,.primery and high school.

I dont have money to send them to Regansi or Saint Patrick school.

So my questions are,:

1. Is there any good schools in Pattaya,.? I hear so many negative things about Burapa,.and Maryvit.
2 I hear that internationale schools in Bangkok are cheeper,! Same goes for Hua hin,..?

3. We can move anywhere in Thailand,..so what and where is the best schools, not to expensive ? 110-150 000 pr year pr kid is my budget

I hope that someone out there are willing to coment and give me a hand here,...)

Kind regards,

Worry dad

Our son goes to the Rayong English program school www.repsrayong.com in Ban Chang.

Many Thai/Farang kids there.

They have several international accepted diplomas there too.

Cost is about you budget.

We are happy with it and so is he.

Ban Chang is also a nice area to live, to our taste much better than Pattaya.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Whatever you do don't send them to public school or even a semi private... I'm push for money so I did the best I could! I've heard bad things about Burapa too but met a few students there and I was impressed with their English and if I had to do it all over again I have no problem sending them there. If you can swing it in Pattaya it is the Regent but way out of my range! You would do better in Bangkok I've met a bunch of teacher through sports here and that is a better option living too in regards to culture. I met a guy recently here in Pattaya but have no contact.. his kids both spoke real good English and Thai and seem good kids go something in Siracha?

Good luck

Wait a few more years until they are 18 an off to Uni or or another program where they can stand on their own 2 feet. Most Thai parents would kill to have an opportunity to send their kids to school in Scandinavia and you are about to take them out !! Madness. Are you sure you are not moving to LOS for your own or wife's (selfish) reasons? Kids should come first

• Like 1

Good/excellent school ? Scholarships available ? Diplomas/degrees recognized worldwide ?

If that is what you want then go to Cambridge Mass., Palos Altos Calif., London, Switzerland,

Paris, or ............................. almost anywhere except Thailand ! My 18 yr. old Thai stepdaughter.

recent Thai high school grad., second in her class, has less knowledge than the average

student in 2nd. grade elementary school, ( 7 yr. old ), and Thailand is ranked # 10 out of 10 S.E

Asian nations in English/Math/science but spends more, per pupil money ,than the 9 competitors.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I have family in Sweden and if you truly care about your children's education stay where you are. Unless you want to work for peanuts and can except the fact you kids will have a very second class education. I should also say I have taught in Thailand, and when my girls where old enough I returned to England so that they could have an Education, a small but necessary sacrifice. Thai schools have closed for six months at this time, would that happen in your country? I could not imagine that happening here. The way things are there at this time you might find yourself wishing you had staid at home.

I would not go there until the children had finished school. Good luck what ever you do.

Re reading your post, it looks like you are looking for sort of support for you desire to move to Thailand. You already know what is best, and most of the posts here would say sit tight for eight years then go on your own. Don't screw up your kids education and future for a six year jolly.

International schools are quite expensive – last I checked it was from some 450,000 baht and up, Bangkok boarding schools quite a bit more.

English program schools seem to be of different quality and price. In the area where I stay (Koh Samui) we use an English program school, “Oonrak” which seems to be very good for my 9 year old Thai daughter – everybody says so, and I have not (yet) seen any negative comments – that costs 130,000 baht a year + books, uniforms, etc. Unfortunately only primary school so far – I am not aware about good available English program middle schools, but I think there is one on the island. There is one big and quite affordable school in the town Nathon, “St. Joseph”, but they don’t have a good reputation for their English program, said to be Philippine teachers.

Se also:

• Like 1

I literally moved back to the UK so my kids would be eligible for student loans when they get to University age. (3 years EU residency prior to starting the course is a requirement to get student loans in the UK).

I paid, out of my own pocket, for their International school (Regent's in Bangkok) for the years we lived in Thailand, but I couldn't have afforded the unsubsidised fees for University for three kids. Check if Sweden has the same residency requirements for further education before moving here, or it could be a very expensive move.

• Like 1

I would second the nomination for Reps in Ban Chang, possibly one of the better of a less than brilliant bunch. My daughter went there for two years when she was about 10 years old. She is nearly 17 now and studying at Garden International School (owned by the same people) next door. Reps is about 100K per year, possibly a little more. My one complaint with Reps and all the English program schools is the Thai teachers. They bring their Thai Government school attitude with them including hitting kids with a stick (happened to my daughter even though the school said no physical punishment for the children). That, the poor general knowledge and education (in a first world sense) of the Thai teachers is why we moved her to the International school. The best option really is international school where the children will get an education similar to first World Countries and be taught by western teachers with western teaching qualifications, especially if you intend to move back to your home Country. Garden is about 300K per year but you do get a 10% discount if the children have a Thai passport or birth certificate.

Also, as stated earlier, Ban Chang is a nice area to live outside of the tourist centres. Close to the beach and within striking distance of Bangkok or Pattaya for Western style shopping or food.

• Like 1

I sent my kids to the most expensive schools in Thailand and they were all merde, cacca, worthless. I finally enrolled them in Home Schooling, hired teachers of my choosing to teach their lessons at home and they were all the better for it. There are no good International Schools in Thailand.

With your budget it would be a very sad and selfish thing to bring your kids here. Unless you have a true emergency like taking care of a sick parent or something like that.

Please rethink your plans and either stay home for the sake of your children or budget a lot more money for one of the top international schools.

Whatever you decide the best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Thank you all for nice comments,...You all been wery helpfule.

I have been checking out many of the school you guys recomend, and it seems like i end up in eighter Rayong or Hua hin,...

English program school is around 130-150 000 pr year,.pr kid.

So i will meet them before i make up my mind,.

To those of you who are negative replyes to my post,....Thanks for your for your concerns,..I an thankful.

But,..My daughter is soon 13,.Her English skils is poore, or was poore, She learn more here in 2 weeks than she did in tre years in Norway,..At the same time her Norwegian skils has improved alot coz the gramma is almost same,...( I am helping her with home work )

So,.Her English is better,.her Noregian is better. I only see a win win situation here.

She has been studied with an English, profesional teacher fro UK (its in an international english pre school) It cost about 12000 Bath a month

+ she stydy Thai there to in afternoon, altso 12000 bath a month.

This is to improve her skils before she start school,..

Well,..Again, Thanks for your comments,....

Have a nice weekend,

Tommythai

Sorry, but you shouldn't take them to Thailand / Thai school at this crucial stage in their education and development.

Unless you're willing and capable to pay good money (more than you say) for their academics and out-of-school activities, then they're going to go back to Scandinavia with serious deficiencies compared to their peers.

Send them to Germany

Hi

Just read your message. I can recommend one international school on Raminthra 34 new facilities great teachers, especially the 5th grade teacher. Not sure about the cost probably close to 240,000 baht per year per child. They do offer scholarships and discounts to more than one child. Look up Keerapat International School Raminthra 34 (soi Yoo Yen)

Give them my name, it might help.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi again...

Once again thanks for all comments and good advice...

I see that many have problem understanding why i take my kids from Scandinavia to Thailand,...

Well,.My plan is to let them take Junior highschool here,..Its 3 years, But i plan to let them use 4 years on that,..

Then back to Europe to finish with high school there.

This is because normal high school is NOT any bettter thean English program high school here. And the benefits are enormous, coz the english skills they get here. The Thai language to.

Junior high is from 13 to 15 years ( this we take here) High school is from 15 18 ( take in my country )

All of you who disagree im plan to take my kids here. You know how importent it is to be belangual, thise kids are then three linguistic....

Wait a few more years until they are 18 an off to Uni or or another program where they can stand on their own 2 feet. Most Thai parents would kill to have an opportunity to send their kids to school in Scandinavia and you are about to take them out !! Madness. Are you sure you are not moving to LOS for your own or wife's (selfish) reasons? Kids should come first

My kids always come first,..Now they are going to a pre school. Private, It cost me 24 000 bath pr kid, pr months (english with englsh teacher) And 24000 B pr month pr kid ( Learning to write and read thai ). + They attend to weekend classes in song and gymnastic and that alone cost 12000 B for 10 hours .

So dont speak about my own selfish reasons,...Ok :-))

Whatever you do don't send them to public school or even a semi private... I'm push for money so I did the best I could! I've heard bad things about Burapa too but met a few students there and I was impressed with their English and if I had to do it all over again I have no problem sending them there. If you can swing it in Pattaya it is the Regent but way out of my range! You would do better in Bangkok I've met a bunch of teacher through sports here and that is a better option living too in regards to culture. I met a guy recently here in Pattaya but have no contact.. his kids both spoke real good English and Thai and seem good kids go something in Siracha?

Good luck

Thanks for nice reply,..:-)

I found the same school in Siracha. I spoke with them and going to meet them and look at the school and see what they can offer.

The name of the school is Raiong english program school, Not the International school locaten nearby and are 3 times more expencive,....

Our son goes to the Rayong English program school www.repsrayong.com in Ban Chang.

Many Thai/Farang kids there.

They have several international accepted diplomas there too.

Cost is about you budget.

We are happy with it and so is he.

Ban Chang is also a nice area to live, to our taste much better than Pattaya.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi,...

Thanks,.I have spoken with them and soon going there to check out the school. Sounds like a nice school.

It is going to be ighter that one or one in Hua hin,.Dont want to let my kids stay in Pattaya. Just now when we take pre school in english and thai,.

Thanks again...

When you visit a school, check out what is happening in the classrooms. Are the kids behaving. Are the classrooms clean. Do the teachers carry sticks? Is the car park full of students' motorbikes? Do the toilets smell of smoke? Ask about the school's O-net scores. Ask if the teachers have Teacher's licenses.

Ask as many questions as you can until you are satisfied with the school.

• Like 1