Spouse Visa? How to Get Married in Thailand?

My partner and I (both English) have been in Thailand for a few years now.

She has been working (with work permit) and I've not been working and have been on a few visas:

• Non-immigration O multiple (x 3) (from Birmingham and Hull)
  • Ed Visa (1 year) from KL
  • Tourist Visa Double Entry (x 2) back from back from Vientiane (just expired)

My tourist visa has just run out and am I in Thailand on a visa exemption stamp - 30 days - after arriving by air.

In the past I have gotten a non-immigration type O multiple entry from Hull and Birmingham when back in the UK (although not every year). This visa was given due to my partner working in Thailand and having a letter from her employer stating I was being looked after financially. 

I'm not sure what my options are now, especially with all the crackdowns?

1. Get married in Thailand then I come under her work permit/visa? (if so what does this involve?)
  2. Get a third in a row tourist double entry from Vientiane (is 3 in a row the maximum)?
  3. Go back to UK (or somewhere else>) and try for another non-immigration type O multiple?
  4. Get another Ed Visa?

I hear Hull and Birmingham don't issue these non-imm O visas any more and London process the applications? Do London give them under my circumstances?

If we did get married, would I still need to leave the country to get a new visa from somewhere?

How do you even get married in Thailand?

Are there any other options?

We plan to leave in about 13 months and move back to the UK so only a year or so to go but I doubt I could keep doing tourist visas for that long?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ubonjoe is the best person to answer this, but since you will always have your own passport I think it would make sense to try and get in sync with your intended and both have the same type of visa so that you can then get renewals together etc.

To get married here you both need to get an affirmation of permit to marry. Info on getting married here is on UK embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Once married you could get an extension of stay as their dependent at immigration. Getting the extension just requires your marriage certificate and copies of their passport showing the extension. You would first need to go out for a single entry non-o visa and show the same documents needed for the extension.

Your other option is to keep trying to get tourist visas (probably one more in Vientiane) or going back to school.

I doubt very much you would be able to get another multiple entry non-o anywhere now.

Thanks.

Is the single entry non-o visa easy to get locally, once we are married?

I.e. Could I get it in Laos?

Do you think the whole thing including getting married could be wrapped up in 28 days?

Or should I plan for another trip to Vientiane for a third tourist visa?

We will have a proper wedding when he go back home so in Thailand we would want the bare minimum to get legal.

Thanks for your help ubonjoe much appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you think the whole thing including getting married could be wrapped up in 28 days?

We will have a proper wedding when he go back home so in Thailand we would want the bare minimum to get legal.

It should not even take 28 days. Perhaps 4 days to get the affirmation done, then translated and certified (translator can handle the certification) then a couple of hours the next day at an Amphoe to register your marriage.

You can get the non-o without a problem in Vientiane.

Hull, Birmingham and Liverpool still issue non Imm O Visas. Got mine within 10 minutes 4 weeks ago

But you had a good basis to get it upon (retirement or marriage perhaps). The OP apparently has none other than his partner working here.

Hull, Birmingham and Liverpool still issue non Imm O Visas. Got mine within 10 minutes 4 weeks ago

But you had a good basis to get it upon (retirement or marriage perhaps). The OP apparently has none other than his partner working here.

Quite correct Joe. My basis was retirement.

I note the OP though stated he has had non Imm O previously.

That's great!

So if the translator handles the classification I don't need to go to chaeng wattana/immigration?

Also do I need any paperwork from my partners employer to get the non immigration O or the bit at immigration one I've entered Thailand?

Thanks Edited by Spouse

The translator will normally handle the certification by the Thai MFA for you, for a fee.

You will have to go yourself to an amphur to get married and than you will have to go abroad to get a non-immigrant visa, O class to become a dependent.

That's great!

So if the translator handles the classification I don't need to go to chaeng wattana/immigration?

Thanks

Most translation services will handle the certification for a small additional fee. In many cases the fee is less than 2 round trips to the MFA by taxi.

At the moment the office for certifications is located at Esplanade shopping center because CW is still closed down.

Excellent. 

Also do I need any paperwork / documenation from my partner's employer to get the non immigration O from outside Thailand, or the bit at immigration once I've entered Thailand on the non-imm O?

One last one: once I am come in on the non-imm O and been to immigration, what is the ongoing requirements? Just a 90 day report and re-entry permit if I want to leave the country?  If so, will that last indefinitely (while the employment is still active)?

Thanks!!

You will not need any thing from you spouses employer for the non-o. Just your marriage certificate plus a copy and copies of their passport photo page and extension of stay stamp.signed and dated by them.

Immigration should not want anything more than the above but there might be some offices that will want more.

Your extension will be valid for as long as their extension is. The when it is renewed yours will be for a year. If their extensions ends because they loose their job yours will end also.

You will need to make 90 day reports and get a re-entry permit if you want to travel.

Thanks a lot. That sounds fairly straightforward. 

I take it we both need separate affirmation forms?  And on my form the income per month should be zero?

Just filling the forms out now, then will need to get them signed and then translated. 

Then try and book an appointment at the Amphoe in Bang Rak.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Spouse

I got my non Imm O multi in about 15 minutes at Hull last year but they are saying 5 days now.

Did you go to Hull, Birmingham or Liverpool and was it multiple entry?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Both of you need a affirmation letter.

Both of you need a affirmation letter.??? Is this true??? Both???

Yes !

• 2 weeks later...

Their is no rule or policy that says you have to be married before your partner got their extension in order to get a dependent extension.

Possibly an agent working on an angle to get more money out of you.

Right, we've done the wedding registration. Time to sort out the visa.

I'm planning on going to Vientiane - do you think that is the best place locally do get a single entry non-imm O for this purpose? KL could be another option I guess?

If it matters, I've had two back to back double tourist entries from Vientiane prior to this (plus many other visa's see OP).

Does anyone know a visa agent in Vientiane, Laos that could handle the submission for me, to save me the trip to the consulate/embassy once I arrive?

Thanks!

Thanks. 

I contacted a visa run service from Bangkok and asked about getting the visa in Vientiane and they said that I didn't need to travel and they could get me the Non-Immigrant O (Dependent) visa for me in Bangkok.

Is this true? 

Thanks.

Thanks.

It should not even take 28 days. Perhaps 4 days to get the affirmation done, then translated and certified (translator can handle the certification) then a couple of hours the next day at an Amphoe to register your marriage.

You can get the non-o without a problem in Vientiane.

I thought you needed to go to Savannakhet for a Non O. Or is that just a multi entry Non O?