May 17, 201412 yr Hi, I need a 'proof of address' from the British Embassy in Bangkok this coming Monday, using my original condo rental contract as proof. I should arrive at the embassy in the morning at 8 am. Can someone tell me how long they take to issue the POD letter? Is it a case of them accepting applications in the morning then supplying them in the afternoon or will they supply one withing minutes/an hour or so? Thanks.
May 17, 201412 yr Last time I did this it was posted on to me the next day. They were also good enough to make 5 copies at the same time for the same price so worth asking them about that too. This was in 2009 so it might have changed since then. Edited May 17, 201412 yr by draftvader
May 17, 201412 yr Author Last time I did this it was posted on to me the next day. They were also good enough to make 5 copies at the same time for the same price so worth asking them about that too. This was in 2009 so it might have changed since then. Thanks, but do you know if they will do it in the same morning? Edited May 17, 201412 yr by Card
May 17, 201412 yr The last letter I got from the UK Embassy, a month ago, I ordered it in the morning and picked it up after lunch. So I left it as late a possible in the morning, when it wasn't too busy, had some lunch in Central and popped back and picked it up. Time seems to be the essence for you, if there had not been a rush you can get one from Immigration for a fraction of the price, but that takes a couple of weeks. theoldgit
May 17, 201412 yr Author The last letter I got from the UK Embassy, a month ago, I ordered it in the morning and picked it up after lunch. So I left it as late a possible in the morning, when it wasn't too busy, had some lunch in Central and popped back and picked it up. Time seems to be the essence for you, if there had not been a rush you can get one from Immigration for a fraction of the price, but that takes a couple of weeks. Thanks. Yes it is urgent as I need to be at the Vehicle registry office in the afternoon and it closes at 3.30. From what you wrote, it seems they are quick, but it doesn't answer the question if they will both receive applications and supply the POD in the morning. I know about those from immigration - in fact I have two in the pipeline for next Monday, but suddenly this urgent need arose.
May 17, 201412 yr The last letter I got from the UK Embassy, a month ago, I ordered it in the morning and picked it up after lunch. So I left it as late a possible in the morning, when it wasn't too busy, had some lunch in Central and popped back and picked it up. Time seems to be the essence for you, if there had not been a rush you can get one from Immigration for a fraction of the price, but that takes a couple of weeks. Out of curiosity is there any particular form to request or is it a pretty usual request at immigration (bearing in mind that my immigration is Nonthaburi, not CW). Cheers.
May 17, 201412 yr Author The last letter I got from the UK Embassy, a month ago, I ordered it in the morning and picked it up after lunch. So I left it as late a possible in the morning, when it wasn't too busy, had some lunch in Central and popped back and picked it up. Time seems to be the essence for you, if there had not been a rush you can get one from Immigration for a fraction of the price, but that takes a couple of weeks. Out of curiosity is there any particular form to request or is it a pretty usual request at immigration (bearing in mind that my immigration is Nonthaburi, not CW). Cheers. I have just given that info on a posting last week - do a search on Thaivisa.
May 17, 201412 yr I got one at Lad Prao recently, the lady was very helpful and it certainly didn't seem to be an unusual request, it cost me 200 Baht, though I did have to return 10 days later to collect.The template is in one of the pinned topics at the top of the forum.http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download theoldgit
May 17, 201412 yr Are you making 90 day reports to immigration in Bangkok because you have an extension of stay. If not you will not get a certificate of residence from them.
May 17, 201412 yr If you get to the Embassy before about 11:00 you can fill in the form and it will be returned in 20 minutes or so... for ฿3,080Depends what you need it for but it's much cheaper from Immigration if acceptable for your purposes.Edit: But can't get from Immigration in time if you need it this Monday. Edited May 17, 201412 yr by Bpuumike
May 17, 201412 yr Author If you get to the Embassy before about 11:00 you can fill in the form and it will be returned in 20 minutes or so... for ฿3,080 Depends what you need it for but it's much cheaper from Immigration if acceptable for your purposes. Thanks. At last some idea of the possibilty. I need it for selling a car at the vehicle reg office on Monday, soon after receiving the POA. I am willing to pay that extra, even though I can collect 2 POA from immigration next Mon, in case I lose the buyer.
May 17, 201412 yr I got proof of address for my drivers licence in Pattaya Immigration a few years ago... Waited 20 minutes. It did involve giving them 1000 baht and telling them I wanted the 'express service'.. (Which incidentally didn't exist) but the regular charge I believe would have been 300 Baht.
May 18, 201412 yr I got one at Lad Prao recently, the lady was very helpful and it certainly didn't seem to be an unusual request, it cost me 200 Baht, though I did have to return 10 days later to collect. The template is in one of the pinned topics at the top of the forum.http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download Wow. I didn't know that immigration in Bangkok did this. About 5 years ago they wouldn't do it. Thanks for the info :)
May 18, 201412 yr Author As long as you deposit by 11am, you pick up at 2pm. That is the normal. Thanks, but 2 pm is too late - someone on here mentioned that I can pay a bit more to pick up in the morning - do you know about that?
May 18, 201412 yr I got one at Lad Prao recently, the lady was very helpful and it certainly didn't seem to be an unusual request, it cost me 200 Baht, though I did have to return 10 days later to collect. The template is in one of the pinned topics at the top of the forum.http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download Wow. I didn't know that immigration in Bangkok did this. About 5 years ago they wouldn't do it. Thanks for the info They still don't do them unless you are making 90 day reports to them.
May 18, 201412 yr Author I got one at Lad Prao recently, the lady was very helpful and it certainly didn't seem to be an unusual request, it cost me 200 Baht, though I did have to return 10 days later to collect. The template is in one of the pinned topics at the top of the forum.http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download Wow. I didn't know that immigration in Bangkok did this. About 5 years ago they wouldn't do it. Thanks for the info They still don't do them unless you are making 90 day reports to them. This is off topic, but to reduce white noise, I can assure you that I ordered 2 POD from bangkok immigration at Lad Prao last week WITHOUT reporting for 90 days. I pick up a week on Monday - it takes 10 days and costs 200 baht each.
May 18, 201412 yr Whats is a POD. There have been many reports of Bangkok immigration not doing certificates of residence unless you have an extension of stay and are making 90 reports. Perhaps Lad Phrao has not adopted that rule.
May 18, 201412 yr Author Whats is a POD. There have been many reports of Bangkok immigration not doing certificates of residence unless you have an extension of stay and are making 90 reports. Perhaps Lad Phrao has not adopted that rule. I meant POA. The old Suan Phlu didn't do it twice and took a month. Lad Prao is much better. Like I said, I got 2 on order without 90 day report. Edited May 18, 201412 yr by Card
May 19, 201412 yr Author Arrived this morning at 8.0 am at the British Embassy - 2 people in front of me - paid 3080.0 baht to get the POA early and was out of the embassy with the letter by 8.30am. Great. Thanks for your help. I might add that I got a colour copy of the letter from the shop below Homepro - cost 40 baht and the vehicle registry office accepted it. I used the original in a car purchase later in the day, saving me another 3000 baht.
May 19, 201412 yr The last letter I got from the UK Embassy, a month ago, I ordered it in the morning and picked it up after lunch. So I left it as late a possible in the morning, when it wasn't too busy, had some lunch in Central and popped back and picked it up. Time seems to be the essence for you, if there had not been a rush you can get one from Immigration for a fraction of the price, but that takes a couple of weeks. Out of curiosity is there any particular form to request or is it a pretty usual request at immigration (bearing in mind that my immigration is Nonthaburi, not CW). Cheers. I have just given that info on a posting last week - do a search on Thaivisa. So why couldn't you be bothered to attach a link to that posting, then?
July 3, 201412 yr Just for a note. I went to Nonthaburi Immigration (please note, NOT Chaeng Wattana) yesterday and they simply refused to do it. They stated that they couldn't and I should go to my embassy or try Chaeng Wattana. Today at CW they said that Nonthaburi SHOULD have done it but reminded me that it is, officially, a 3 week wait. I'm going to go for the embassy version but not without some contained seething!
July 3, 201412 yr Author Just for a note. I went to Nonthaburi Immigration (please note, NOT Chaeng Wattana) yesterday and they simply refused to do it. They stated that they couldn't and I should go to my embassy or try Chaeng Wattana. Today at CW they said that Nonthaburi SHOULD have done it but reminded me that it is, officially, a 3 week wait. I'm going to go for the embassy version but not without some contained seething! I ordered mine from Lad Prao but didn't need them in the end and it was only a 10 day wait. I needed it more quickly so went to the UK embassy and paid extra (total about 3000 baht) for a quickie done in 30 mins (normally 2500 done in a couple of hours). I might add that you should get colour copies of that embassy letter - to save paying each time although I don't know if they have an expiry and you shouldn't mention it being a copy when you use it. I was prepared to say "Oh is that the copy? I thought it was the original", before bringing out the original from the collection. I used a colour copy at the car registration dept - no worries and also surprisingly a 22 day old printed B&W copy from a camera photo of it at the land registry, although not sure if it was really needed there. So I used it 3x for the price of one.
August 4, 201412 yr Im heading to Laos tomorrow to get an 'O' visa based on having Thai child (noting I will probably only get single entry due to not being married to the mother -I am in the process of legitimizing through court). My question is that as I understand it, I will be able to extend this visa at immigration in the future (60 days extension I think UbonJoe pointed out), so due to that will I be able to apply for Residence Certificate once I receive this O visa? My driving licence expires in 2 weeks and I need to get this renewed. Before I lived in Pattaya and this was no problem from Jomtien but am now in BKK and things seem a little more difficult. If this option doesn't work out then its going to have to be the expensive option from the embassy. Thanks
Create an account or sign in to comment