Tourist drowns, first victim of lifeguard-less Phuket beaches

webfact

Tourist drowns, first victim of lifeguard-less Phuket beaches
Phuket Gazette

1_2014519123744191_kQrnOrUJoZvxojfCEPzmG
Mr Supachet drowned before his friends could rescue him. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A tourist drowned at a lifeguard-less Phuket beach yesterday afternoon, after a budget debacle delayed the signing of the Phuket Lifeguard contract.

Supachet Ngamsong, 26, from Northern Thailand, had just finished dinner with five friends when he went into the sea alone at Karon at about 5pm, said Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Sopon Borrirak.

“He called out for help after getting into trouble in the water. His friends tried to rescue him, but it was too late,” Lt Col Sopon said.

Lifeguards have not patrolled Phuket beaches since April 27, when their last contract ended and a budget dispute that threatened to decrease the number of lifeguards on Phuket’s beaches prevented the signing of a new one (story here).

Though the Phuket Lifeguard Club has subsequently agreed to sign the contract without the asked-for budget increase, the signing was delayed until May 21, as the guards wait for new equipment (story here).

“Working with broken equipment could be dangerous for both the lifeguards and the victims,” Phuket Lifeguard Club President Prathaiyut Chuayuan told the Phuket Gazette at the time.

Mr Supachet’s body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourist-drowns-first-victim-lifeguardless-Phuket-beaches/29475#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-19

Brings to mind person who drown here in Jomtien after falling off floats to separate maniacs on jet skis from maniacs not on. There are a number of life guard towers up and down the beach. Never seen one with guard inside, or outside for that matter. Must have been built for the kickback.Safety and looking out after guests/customers not the Thai way. Good to see nanny state whingers are alive and kicking. May you have "freedom feeling" when unmaintained or inspected lift takes a fast dive.

• Like 1

Finishing a nice big dinner then jumping in for a swim whistling.gif

Unfortunately, the dead man cannot respond to this flippant hypothesis.

So young to die, regardless of the circumstances.

• Like 1

Finishing a nice big dinner then jumping in for a swim whistling.gif

http://voices.yahoo.com/medical-myth-fact-true-shouldnt-6843022.html

One of the most common myths we encounter in childhood is the myth that says you shouldn't swim for an hour after eating because doing so can cause dangerous cramps and drowning. Drowning is certainly a serious concern, especially for children. Drowning is the second most common cause of accidental death among kids ages 1 to 14. But feel free to let your kids nosh on that peanut butter sandwich and then jump right back into the pounding surf- this myth is false. Medically speaking, there is no reason to avoid swimming after eating.

• Like 1

We have Tourist Police Volunteers here.

Maybe it's possible we can have some Tourist Lifeguard Volunteers.

They should be trained in first aid, CPR, mouth to mouth and strong swimmers.

If the Thai's want to bitch about money, while people die, maybe foreign volunteers can fill the void, or add to the numbers for a better and safer service.

Just an idea.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the Thai's want to bitch about money, while people die, maybe foreign volunteers can fill the void, or add to the numbers for a better and safer service.

Just an idea.

Ooops foreigners are not allowed to work for pay or for nothing. That would be taking a job that belongs to Thais only. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just an idea.

Ooops foreigners are not allowed to work for pay or for nothing. That would be taking a job that belongs to Thais only. Correct me if I am wrong.

No, you are correct. You need a work permit even for volunteer work in Thailand.

I'm simply saying, we have Tourist Police Volunteers here, maybe the same thing can be implemeneds for some beach lifeguards.

The TPV's are ok for some local advice and assisting in "mediating" sometimes, but the lifeguards could actually save lives.

There is always a contract dispute with the company providing lifeguards at this time of year and there are never

life guards on duty. Same same, every year that I can remember. whistling.gif

Just an idea.

pardon me people have been saving people lives here for the 35 years I know I am one of many people helping .. do you think we wait for guys who are worrying about broken equipment

So there's a budget problem here. Of course, it's perfectly understandable, because Phuket is such a poor place without any adequate income stream from any economic activity, and therefore not much tax revenue to pay for essential public services like this.

You have to feel sorry for the local government officials who are put in such a difficult situation. Weep, weep, let us all weep.

Just an idea.

thumbsup.gif And a good one at that.

If you want tourism you must supply some of the basics, this is tragic on so many levels.

He may still have drowned even with 'lifeguards' present.

People must accept responsibility for their own actions. He obviously wasn't a strong swimmer but went swimming alone.

Just an idea.

pardon me people have been saving people lives here for the 35 years I know I am one of many people helping .. do you think we wait for guys who are worrying about broken equipment

I simply meant having an "official" group of volunteers, in a similar way to the Tourist Police Volunteers.

. That would be taking a job that belongs to Thais only. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well wrong actually...

There is a list of professions that foreigners are prohibited to work in. Lifeguard is not one of them.

There is a list of professions that are restricted, where foreigners need special permission to work in. Lifeguard is not on that list.

So a foreigner can be a lifeguard volunteer, but does need to get a WP for his/her duties. The organization that he/she works for needs to provide supporting documents for that WP application. But (just as with the TPVs), that is unlikely to be forthcoming....

Finsihed a big dinner - Read drinking whiskey/beer/both

From northern Thailand - Read not used to the ocean, probably couldnt swim

5pm - Change of tides???

Sad - Yes

It is very sad for a young man to drown.

The tides don't change on a clock, but rather under the moon's influence, and whilst 5.00 pm will no doubt be the change at some time, it's not the same every day.

I fully understand the movement of the tides in relation to the moon and it's subsequent phases, I also know that the tides were on the change around that time in patong. Hence my comment in relation to the time

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app