Thai army chief announces military coup

webfact

This is getting serious, now! The 7-11s are closing at 10 pm. What next? Foodland closing at 10, too?

RT@CoconutsBangkok: 7-11 stores closed tonight from 10PM until 5AM via @Chu_SpringNews #coup #bangkok #thailand pic.twitter.com/xnxhJIdeJK

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on a positive note. With today's news Thailand has strengthened it's position at the top of the Post War Coup table by moving into double figures two ahead of it's nearest rivals.

Who says Thailand doesn't lead the world in anything now the rice industry has gone tits up. thumbsup.gif

I support a military coup if it will help sort out the problems. However, the aim will be to keep protesters off the streets and shutting down TV stations will not prevent this but only make it worse. Most people just want to sit at home and enjoy their home entertainment. Shutting down the cable and TV stations will just put them back on the streets!

Bad move guys!!

I can't watch my overly dramatic and cheesily acted Thai soaps or my slapstick sound effect comedy shows! DOWN WITH THE JUNTA! clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

1) Constitution has been suspended, except the parts dealing with the monarchy.

2) Some PTP leaders talking about setting up a government in exile.

3) If you have to get the the airport, and can't find a way, contact the local Army troops and they will provide it for you

4) Current caretaker PM is seeking "shelter" in American Embassy.

All reported on Channel News Asia Live TV on internet

Edited by Just1Voice

Yippee!

(About bl**dy time.)

be careful what you yippie for I still have the photo's of the 2010 protest where the army shot and killed a whole bunch of people including foreigners! why don't you go out on the street at 11pM AND LOOK AROUND! i

Taking CNN off the air is just plain silly. Even if there is nothing to hide, this will result in great suspicion and an apprehension of ulterior motives. Very foolish.

Farang media offline mean shooting is about to start.

Textbook procedure.

Acting PM is at US Embassy & will not report to military as requested

will setup the govt in exile? according to report just released on News Asia

All stations now cut in Chiangmai too

Expect Internet to go soon?

Edited by mania

They just don't learn do they. And the hateful cycle starts again.

"In order for the country to return to normal quickly, the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30 pm," <-- what is normal? election, protests, coup, election, protests, coup, repeat..

My Mrs just said "could he not have waited until after the lakorn to do this" From my perspective its the only saving grace not hearing those bloody boing sounds and watching that shit acting.

So glad I married a politically astute lady laugh.png

• Like 2

Taking CNN off the air is just plain silly. Even if there is nothing to hide, this will result in great suspicion and an apprehension of ulterior motives. Very foolish.

everything is off the air! idiots making decesions about broadcasting, look for the internet to go before dawn!

everything is off the air! idiots making decesions about broadcasting, look for the internet to go before dawn!

Closing the curtains to the world

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And yet we are still posting....lol

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

lots of rumours on thai social media internet to go....so be quick about your posts lol

Hang on ;)

It is not as easy to shut this curtain

True satilite tv is off air, they are playing music ( sort of)

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Happy Home Cable in BKK is still showing BBC News, Fox News and NHK News.

Channel News Asia online in English at:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tv/live

Thai PBS in Thai at:

We're also still getting the cable TV broadcast from Channel News Asia via Happy Home Cable, as well as their streaming online broadcast.

Did they get the false monk ?

I think so..They shut down his protest site simultanieously as the others...

Apparently the Acting PM Niwattumrong is in the American Embassy Channel News Asia awaiting State Dept confirm on that...US will respond soon don't expect more than a generic statement that says to follow the Democratic Process and turn the country back over to the people soon... Channel News Asia still on the air (CTH)

IMHO, taking DISNEY CHANNEL for the kids off the air and converting it into a Thai Army News Channel is really childish. It might have threatened national security, I guess.

• Like 2

Farang media offline mean shooting is about to start.

Textbook procedure.

Don`t be silly !! The same happened for a short period in 2006.

• Like 2

It all depends on how they go from here.

If this is 2006 repeated, with a new constitution written to cover the junta backs and by the establishment, well then we have a new round of problems.

If they actually include and listen to the representatives that win elections in thailand along with the opposition, then it is actually a way out of this. Main problem will be that a democratic constitution will see the establishment lose another election.

Then there is of course the way that Thailand have not done in a while. Just skip the election part and keep a military/establishment junta. Then we have 2015 and the forseable future where Myanmar is more democratic then Thailand. This will also be some of the final nails in Thailand as a regional hub of trading and tourism. Nothing last forever, this might be the pivot point where Thailand turns into a military dictatorship and becomes the next Burma. I think this is just as likely outcome as a free election the next two years.

It is entirely possible that Prayuth is actually sincere in beeing impartial and goes forward with real reform. Like having a fully elected senate again. And keep a fully elected house of representatives. Making sure the courts rule on the law made by politicians based on police handing violations of the laws to them. That is the division of power that have actually worked for countries with democracy. The last years we've seen a system where the checks and balances have made a working system impossible. This is where I pin my hope for Thailand as a future travel destination.

This is getting serious, now! The 7-11s are closing at 10 pm. What next? Foodland closing at 10, too?

RT@CoconutsBangkok: 7-11 stores closed tonight from 10PM until 5AM via @Chu_SpringNews #coup #bangkok #thailand pic.twitter.com/xnxhJIdeJK

I can just imagine the panic in my local 7-11. "Eh Somchai where did you last see the keys?"

• Like 1

well he gave the kids time to sort themselves out and they did not.

so you're inferring that it's a good job the army is involved in politics? I doubt if there is a single stable democracy where the army is above the elected government in deciding how the country should be run.

• Like 1