International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

I find it hard to believe every minister had the time to read every report that lands in his in try, yet probably watches a news program and/or reads a newspaper over breakfast and listens to the radio or reads a newspaper while travelling to work.

...and in Britain's case, probably just paraphrases whatever the USA's position is.

And in the case of the condemnation of scores of other countries? And commentators? And press? In fact everyone other than a minority of thais (and their foreign journeymen here).

...doesn't seem to be the "minority" of Thai now does it. So what you are saying is that all the people that live here and actually understand the situation and can see it develop around us, are worth less than the views of external bodies with trade agendas, that rely on second or third hand information?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably safe so far. However, there were some worrying signs of anti-foreigner sentiment today reported on social media, which seem to be linked to unhappiness with the international media reportage. See various twitter feeds on you know what.

LINK ! blink.png

I've decided to stop posting non-mainstream links and cut down on my posts generally for now. If you Google twitter and a certain topic you'll find the tweets. Clue: this relates to PA announcements at a monument in central BKK. sad.png

Probably safe so far. However, there were some worrying signs of anti-foreigner sentiment today reported on social media, which seem to be linked to unhappiness with the international media reportage. See various twitter feeds on you know what.

LINK ! blink.png

I've decided to stop posting non-mainstream links and cut down on my posts generally for now. If you Google twitter and a certain topic you'll find the tweets. Clue: this relates to PA announcements at a monument in central BKK. sad.png

I think what you are alluding to is the army's loudspeakers lambasting foreign media as being supporters of Thaksin and telling them to go home. No need for coyness. They won't kick you out of the country for reporting something they distributed from loudspeakers at a busy intersection in the capital city. I hope.

• Like 1

I think what you are alluding to is the army's loudspeakers lambasting foreign media as being supporters of Thaksin and telling them to go home.

Interesting, I am NO FOREIGN media and NO THAKSINISTA, so I can stay relaxed. wink.png

LINK ! blink.png

I think what you are alluding to is the army's loudspeakers lambasting foreign media as being supporters of Thaksin and telling them to go home. No need for coyness. They won't kick you out of the country for reporting something they distributed from loudspeakers at a busy intersection in the capital city. I hope.

That would suggest that they did not anticipate the international criticism and are thin-skinned about it. It's hard to interpret that in a positive manner.

Been another dissasterous day for them. Shortest honeymoon period on record.

I dunno, top man gets the all clear by the top man, farmers getting paid, terrorists located in Trat, etc etc... seem to be doing ok to me. Meanwhile, the West still don't really know what's going on but bleat the same old dross.

• Like 2

The tweeterati were also concerned about some additional generalisations from the same source about the characteristics of foreigners and foreign spouses.

Edited by citizen33

The tweeterati were also concerned about some additional generalisations from the same source about the characteristics of foreigners and foreign spouses.

In general, most of the foreign spouses and the families, of the spouses, are RED supporters,

but, that is not the falangs fault!

On the contrary,

only the persuasiveness of some falang can try to change the spouses opinion.

=citizen30= you like to hide with your statements in obscurity, so what do you mean,

"generalisations from the same source about the characteristics of foreigners and foreign spouses." ?

I dunno, top man gets the all clear by the top man, farmers getting paid, terrorists located in Trat, etc etc... seem to be doing ok to me. Meanwhile, the West still don't really know what's going on but bleat the same old dross.

Yes they seem to be doing quite well. The amount of people that are now with out an income since they have cut the corruption down now was bound to get the people on the street protesting. They thought the corruption money would continue to flow into their pockets and are very upset by it being stopped. Would have been stopped any how the PTP had pretty well emptied the treasury.

Yes they seem to be doing quite well. The amount of people that are now with out an income since they have cut the corruption down now was bound to get the people on the street protesting. They thought the corruption money would continue to flow into their pockets and are very upset by it being stopped. Would have been stopped any how the PTP had pretty well emptied the treasury.

They cut corruption down? Really? What evidence do you have of this?

• Like 1

I've said this before but you won't get western democracies supporting a coup as they aren't democratic. Coups are never good and democracy is the way to go. However the democratically elected government which despite all the claims was accepted by the Democrats seems to have been unable to work within that framework and seems to have been controlled to a great extent by someone who wasn't elected. Without that they would most likely still be in power now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

A fair number of Thai people are a bit angry with the US government criticising this coup. Some of them do feel that Thailand doesn't actually need the USA, the USA only wants to benefit from other countries, etc.
They've noticed that China and Russia have said almost nothing, and it appears to be that some Thais are looking towards China. :)

• Like 1

International alarm mounts over Thai coup

by Justine GERARDY

HONG KONG, May 23, 2014 (AFP) - Allies and key trading partners expressed disquiet over Thailand's coup Friday, demanding a quick return to civilian rule as some warned against travel to the prime tourist destination.

Japanese auto giants that have invested heavily in Thailand were forced to stop night operations at their factories to comply with a curfew imposed by the new junta, which seized power on Thursday in a move the United States said had "no justification".

Japan, by far Thailand's biggest foreign investor overall, described the coup as "regrettable".

"Our country wants to call strongly for a prompt restoration of a democratic political system," added Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga.

Toyota, the world's number one carmaker which produces 670,000 cars a year in Thailand, said the curfew had halted production at all three of its local assembly plants.

Honda Motor also curtailed operations at its plant on Thursday, stopping four hours ahead of its original planned shutdown at midnight, a spokeswoman said.

The Pentagon said it was reviewing military cooperation with America's oldest Asian ally, while Secretary of State John Kerry warned of potential fallout.

"While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the US-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military," he said.

In Beijing, foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters: "China and Thailand are friendly neighbours. We hope to see normal social order to be restored as soon as possible in Thailand."

Australia meanwhile said it was "gravely concerned" at the army's seizure of power.

"It is a volatile situation. We are monitoring it closely but people need to pay close attention to their personal security and their travel plans," Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told ABC radio.

- 'Unpredictable and volatile' -

With Thailand drawing just over 26.7 million visitors last year, according to its tourism authority, foreign governments have largely cautioned nationals to keep their heads down without explicitly advising against travel.

However, key trade partners Malaysia and Hong Kong warned against non-essential trips after months of political turmoil escalated into the military crackdown.

Neighbouring Malaysia -- Thailand's second-highest source of visitors last year with 2.99 million tourists, behind China's 4.7 million -- advised its nationals to postpone any non-essential visits and those there to abide by the curfew.

Hong Kong raised its travel alert for Thailand to its second-highest level. The city's Travel Industry Council said all group tours would be cancelled from May 24 to May 30, affecting 1,300 people.

Singapore also weighed in, warning that the situation was "unpredictable and volatile, and may evolve quite rapidly".

"Singaporeans should seriously reconsider visiting Thailand at the moment," the foreign ministry said.

Medical and travel security risk services provider SOS International also urged business travellers to defer non-essential trips, warning that all gatherings should be avoided due to a "credible risk of violence".

Indonesia, Southeast Asia's largest economy, said it was following developments "with deep and profound concern" and that it would seek the intervention of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, of which Thailand is a leading member.

ASEAN is traditionally loath to get involved in its members' internal affairs. But Indonesia stressed that the bloc's charter "emphasizes adherence to democratic principles and constitutional government", and so the coup merited engagement by the region.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-23

Bangkok was heading towards civil war. The army stepped in with the blessings of the King since the judicial system has failed. How is that a bad thing when killings has been ongoing for the last few weeks before the army launched their coup? I think the respite is welcomed by all Thai. From the statements of the general, I think they want to return power to civilian rule, but only after the spoil brats with too much money and power are put in their place!

Sent from my GT-P6200

• Like 2

By the way, I'm not actually cheering on the Thais IF Thailand really is going to reduce it's links with the USA, and move closer to China.

Maybe, people need to tell some of the Thais "look, the US government is not actually against this coup, they're making comments that are boring and routine, they always say these things whether they mean it or not, now then, please stop going on about reduced links with the USA, and stop looking towards China". :)

The topic "international alarm grows' is from the 23rd of May. Now on the 27th International attention has shifted again one would think.

From a Dutch News site:

- at least one terrorist attack planned to be executed in the Netherlands prevented amongst 26 in Europe thakns to the American PRISM program

- Minister of Defence Mrs. Hennis visits Dutch (UN) troops in Mali

- etc., etc.

Thailand? Thailand ???

Yawn. What did you expect them to say? Too bad these countries lack the courage to pontificate about rampant corruption and extra judicial slaughter.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific

Perhaps they didn't "pontificate" because using global comparisons Thailand was nowhere near the top in terms of corruption and extra-judicial killings.

BTW, are you aware that military dictatorships have a very poor historical record when it comes to eliminating corruption and extra-judicial killings?

• Like 1

The topic "international alarm grows' is from the 23rd of May. Now on the 27th International attention has shifted again one would think.

From a Dutch News site:

- at least one terrorist attack planned to be executed in the Netherlands prevented amongst 26 in Europe thakns to the American PRISM program

- etc., etc.

Thailand? Thailand ???

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you. For evidence you quote a Dutch newspaper talking about a terror attack in the Netherlands. Now why do you think that may be, rubl? Have they even noticed a coup has taken place? I don't recall the Dutch government condoning or condemning it so it's not as if it's going to be the top story in their newspapers, is it?

Thankfully, other countries do show an interest and still are, daily.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

I find it hard to believe every minister had the time to read every report that lands in his in try, yet probably watches a news program and/or reads a newspaper over breakfast and listens to the radio or reads a newspaper while travelling to work.

...and in Britain's case, probably just paraphrases whatever the USA's position is.

And in the case of the condemnation of scores of other countries? And commentators? And press? In fact everyone other than a minority of thais (and their foreign journeymen here).

...doesn't seem to be the "minority" of Thai now does it. So what you are saying is that all the people that live here and actually understand the situation and can see it develop around us, are worth less than the views of external bodies with trade agendas, that rely on second or third hand information?

The question of minority/majority thai opinion cannot be answered except by a free and fair election, and there's no point getting into that here. As to the opinion of foreigners living in Thailand, since they are not protected by laws guaranteeing freedom of speech - on the contrary thai laws and courts impose draconian penalties on deviation from the permissible - serious criticism can be published only by writers or publications beyond the reach of thai authorities. If you look at the credentials of those authors you will find in their c.v. plenty of evidence of long years of study and residence in Thailand. I don't think comments on thai visa, such as mine or yours, are of much concern to the authorities. But a thai-based journal with a critical stance would be closed down pronto. (Even foreign publications - e.g. The Economist three times in the last three months - are stopped.) I have lived here some 8 years; however I will never think that military dictatorship or censorship of political publication is a good thing - especially when the diseases the dictators shout about - corruption, illegality, etc - continue unabated.

From a Dutch News site:

- etc., etc.

Thailand? Thailand ???

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you. For evidence you quote a Dutch newspaper talking about a terror attack in the Netherlands. Now why do you think that may be, rubl? Have they even noticed a coup has taken place? I don't recall the Dutch government condoning or condemning it so it's not as if it's going to be the top story in their newspapers, is it?

1. Yes I think so otherwise I wouldn't have written that, now would I?

2. The prevented terror attack was in Dutch newspapers and sites today

3. Yes, the Netherlands and the papers noticed a coup took place.

4. The Dutch government didn't explicitly condemn the coup, but did so implicitly with the EC statement.

5. Coup was topstory the day it took place only.

6. NL news Today: PRISM, Ukrane, Nigeria, Vietnam fishermansboat, EC elections

7. BBC today: no Thailand

8. NYT today: no Thailand

9. Your 'show interest' has no relation to the topic of "International alarm mounts"

With alarm,

uncle rubl

Edited by rubl

From a Dutch News site:

- etc., etc.

Thailand? Thailand ???

4. The Dutch government didn't explicitly condemn the coup, but did so implicitly with the EC statement.

9. Your 'show interest' has no relation to the topic of "International alarm mounts"

With alarm,

uncle rubl

Here, rubl, this might come in handy for any further posts of yours about the coup cheerleader8.gif

• Like 2

From a Dutch News site:

- etc., etc.

Thailand? Thailand ???

With alarm,

uncle rubl

Here, rubl, this might come in handy for any further posts of yours about the coup <<cheerleader in action removed>

Pray tell, in which post did I cheer the coup?