The Stork Has Landed

okey kokey

My friend has just announced the arrival of his new son, and has some questions about the best route to go with registering the new arrival ... has any one gone through this process in Thailand, and can offer some advice / comments . My friend is planning to return to the Uk with his new son at some time in the future, and is wondering about dual Nationality ( one problem could be that my friend is not yet married to his Thai partner..? ) all he wants to do is " get it right now " for his son's future , so any comments or sound advice on this subject would be most appreciated....Thanks

Probably will need to head down to the UK emabassy and register the son. Should be able to get UK citizenship via decent, by virtue of the father being a UK citizen. Ring the embassy, and see what paper work they need. Once citzenship is registered a UK national, the UK passport appication can follow.

The baby shouldn't have any problem being registered in Thailand either. Being born on Thai soil to a Thai mother should make the baby automatically a Thai citizen. Just go through the normal channels of getting the baby registered on his mums house registration and then getting a passport.

As for dual nationality, it is perfectly OK to have 2 passports. The parents just need to know how to use them correctly! Check out these links to get a general idea on how to use 2 passports when travelling between Thailand and the rest of the world. It seems some people have an ability to stuff this up.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7184

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6352

Probably will need to head down to the UK emabassy and register the son. Should be able to get UK citizenship via decent, by virtue of the father being a UK citizen. Ring the embassy, and see what paper work they need. Once citzenship is registered a UK national, the UK passport appication can follow.

The baby shouldn't have any problem being registered in Thailand either. Being born on Thai soil to a Thai mother should make the baby automatically a Thai citizen. Just go through the normal channels of getting the baby registered on his mums house registration and then getting a passport.

As for dual nationality, it is perfectly OK to have 2 passports. The parents just need to know how to use them correctly! Check out these links to get a general idea on how to use 2 passports when travelling between Thailand and the rest of the world. It seems some people have an ability to stuff this up.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7184

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6352

ive done part of it. Thai passport easy - got two took half an hour each. British passport - informed that without marriage its dicey and at the discretion of the Brit govnt, as it is if u married also and takes ages. They clearly state on the application form that there is no actual RIGHT to a British passport in these circumstances unless the mother is British and the Father thai. However its likely that all being equal a passport will be granted if married (and the Father British) and in fact I am applying this week and I dont expect any problems. If I wasnt married I would expect problems. Anyone who has RECENTLY achieved success with out being marriage please contradict me.

its pretty straightforward , just take marriage cert and family house papers and birth cert & photos to the upstairs at the embassy pay the fee and they will issue a passport and do the necessary . pick it up a day or 2 later .

i did a guy there arguing over his kids as he wast married and applying for DNA testing to prove he is the father !

the marriage cert and marriage paperwork is most important , you know what they are like down there , any excuse to fug up your application .

My friend has just announced the arrival of his new son, and has some questions about the best route to go with registering the new arrival ... has any one gone through this process in Thailand, and can offer some advice / comments . My friend is planning to return to the Uk with his new son at some time in the future, and is wondering about dual Nationality ( one problem could be that my friend is not yet married to his Thai partner..? ) all he wants to do is " get it right now " for his son's future , so any comments or sound advice on this subject would be most appreciated....Thanks

Is he named as the father on the birth certificate ?

its pretty straightforward , just take marriage cert and family house papers and birth cert & photos to the upstairs at the embassy pay the fee and they will issue a passport and do the necessary . pick it up a day or 2 later .

i did a guy there arguing over his kids as he wast married and applying for DNA testing to prove he is the father !

the marriage cert and marriage paperwork is most important , you know what they are like down there , any excuse to fug up your application .

I agree - the obsession with a piece of paper (marriage cert) is truly amazing but not surprising - without it everything is so damned difficult and the frig-o-crats just love to point it out that yr a sinner. Get a pre-nup and get it attached to the marriage cert for stress free visits to the land of the paper pushers.

your friend's son now has a Thai passport and to travel to the UK will need a visa. Get travel arrangements sorted first and enquire at the UK embassy what will be required when you get to the UK when you apply for a UK passport for him.

Try to acquire as much paperwork/documentation from the people here to present to the pencil pushers in the UK. I am US, my wife at the time carried an Irish passport and our son was born in Glasgow. I was working in Indonesia at the time and needed to get a passport for my son straight away in order to return. I went to the passport agency in Glasgow to start the application and was told gleefully by the bitch behind the counter that my son had no automatic right to UK citizenship. She just said fill out these sheets and come back and we'll see what we can do. If I had other documents from a UK embassy elsewhere her silly, freckled, celt face wouldn't have been so gleeful and I'm sure she would have got on it straight away without aggravation. That you are the father and a UK national should be enough as attested by the UK embassy in BKK.

If the baby has a Thai passport and there is no urgency you could simply wait until you get something sorted with UK immigration regarding your wife then there should be no hassle regarding the baby's UK passport. But do everything you can on this end first. Some stupid little admin shit at the passport office in the UK will lose her silly little smile when you slap a folder full of documents on the counter.

good luck

your friend's son now has a Thai passport and to travel to the UK will need a visa. Get travel arrangements sorted first and enquire at the UK embassy what will be required when you get to the UK when you apply for a UK passport for him.

Try to acquire as much paperwork/documentation from the people here to present to the pencil pushers in the UK. I am US, my wife at the time carried an Irish passport and our son was born in Glasgow. I was working in Indonesia at the time and needed to get a passport for my son straight away in order to return. I went to the passport agency in Glasgow to start the application and was told gleefully by the bitch behind the counter that my son had no automatic right to UK citizenship. She just said fill out these sheets and come back and we'll see what we can do. If I had other documents from a UK embassy elsewhere her silly, freckled, celt face wouldn't have been so gleeful and I'm sure she would have got on it straight away without aggravation. That you are the father and a UK national should be enough as attested by the UK embassy in BKK.

If the baby has a Thai passport and there is no urgency you could simply wait until you get something sorted with UK immigration regarding your wife then there should be no hassle regarding the baby's UK passport. But do everything you can on this end first. Some stupid little admin shit at the passport office in the UK will lose her silly little smile when you slap a folder full of documents on the counter.

good luck

They hate to make it easy Tutsi :o

dr PP...whaddaya mean???...I am a kind, generous man full of good intentions then some MacDonalds operative flings a bag of cold soggy fries at me for reasons that I can't understand when I order a cheeseburger...

underneath this veneer of trembling composure and helplessness beats the heart of Charles Bronson in Death Wish...packed to the max with ordnace and dum dum ammo...giggling shop girls and admin types say your prayers...

dr PP...whaddaya mean???...I am a kind, generous man full of good intentions then some MacDonalds operative flings a bag of cold soggy fries at me for reasons that I can't understand when I order a cheeseburger...

underneath this veneer of trembling composure and helplessness beats the heart of Charles Bronson in Death Wish...packed to the max with ordnace and dum dum ammo...giggling shop girls and admin types say your prayers...

:D ' Our Father .......... :o I'll duck...that was D U C K :D

dr PP...sorry...I didn't mean admin as in Thai.visa admin...just the little <deleted> that sit behind the counter at the passport application office in Glasgow...

and now others are beating up on tutsi again because of similar innocent indiscretions...check out the website. You gots to protec' me dr...I din't do nothing wrong...

(an armour clad dr PP emerges with tutsi huddling behind...looks like a tableau out of Delacroix...)

dr PP...sorry...I didn't mean admin as in Thai.visa admin...just the little <deleted> that sit behind the counter at the passport application office in Glasgow...

and now others are beating up on tutsi again because of similar innocent indiscretions...check out the website. You gots to protec' me dr...I din't do nothing wrong...

(an armour clad dr PP emerges with tutsi huddling behind...looks like a tableau out of Delacroix...)

We'll just have to have a glass or two and see where we go from here Tutsi :o