Anyone extended drivers licence recently ?

Beng

It seems to me that not ALL but many of the posts here overlook the fact that one's experience will vary depending upon location and the people behind the counter. I am in the process of TRYING to renew a my one year for a 5 year. I doubt that my experience is the norm. I did start the process 2 weeks early in anticipation of too many hoops. I was not wrong. First, the local immigration folks will not issue the certification of residence without an official written request from the transport dept. OK, that took 3 days. I hand delivered that to immigration. He said 2 days later he would send the doc to transport. (I should have picked it up) It is now one week later and transport claims they still do not have it. However I have seen their organizational skills as they tried to send me away from their offices with someone elses doctor's certificate and i had to remind them to give me back my passport as they claimed they could not read the photocopies. So back to immigration and I have a copy of their doc. Maybe I can report back after today and report on what testing was required. BTW - the licensing guy said to me "Mai pen rai - your license will still be good for one year after expiration". Riiiiight - I'm sure the local BIB will see it that way too. So, see? It all depends on who is helping you and what they pulled out of, umm, thin air for an answer.

Yesterday I renewed my 5 year license in Ao Udom / Sriracha.

I had to do eye and reaction test only and had to watch a 1hr video same as the Thai candidates.

However the new rules were prominently placarded for first time applicants.

• Like 1

Yesterday I renewed my 5 year license in Ao Udom / Sriracha.

I had to do eye and reaction test only and had to watch a 1hr video same as the Thai candidates.

However the new rules were prominently placarded for first time applicants.

Thanks for that current report.

• Like 1

BTW - the licensing guy said to me "Mai pen rai - your license will still be good for one year after expiration". Riiiiight - I'm sure the local BIB will see it that way too.

I renewed my 5yr licence last year, but managed to loose my passport at Immigration whilst getting my residence letter... duh!

Spoke to a guy in the licence place & explained it would take a month or so before I could renew. He told me not to worry - the old licence would still be honoured for quite some time. Local BiB told me the same thing when I got the police report for the lost PP.

My local licencing center currently have a 4 week waiting period for new applications (gf is in the process of getting her first motosai licence - after driving for over 20 years....!), although renewals were still being "done on the day" (but still takes most of the day). gf was advised to keep her appointment letter to show the local BiB - just-in-case..!

The new regulations went into affect June 2, 2014 that is this week any thing that happened last week was under the old requirements. Need reports from June 2 onward...whistling.gif

Correct.

The new Driving Test requirements only came into effect this week. 50 questions and a 6 hour class.

I obtain my first 1 year licence on Tuesday this week, under the new rules. (3rd June)

Fortunately because I already had a motorcycle licence from the UK, I didn't have to sit the full test.

At the same time another farang was renewing his licence from 1 - 5 years. He didn't have to take the full test either.

The new rules only apply to those applying for the first time.

Under the new rules those already holding a valid licence will still have to do 3 simple tests.

1. Colour blind test. Watch a set of traffic light colours and state the colour as it changes.

2. Peripheral Vision test. Put your head in a frame and look at a centre spot. Traffic light colours appear at the side, just shout out the colours again.

3. Reaction test. Put your foot on an accelerator pedal, when the light changes from red to green , hit the brake.

Although your also required to watch a 2 hour video under the new rules (a refresher) this was only available in Thai, so we were therefore excused this ordeal.

Hope the information clears up the OP question.

Edited by Faz

At the same time another farang was renewing his licence from 1 - 5 years. He didn't have to take the full test either.

And I did not find any official source saying this has changed.

Renewing from 1 to 5 year license is different from obtaining a license for the first time.

Same applys (applied) to conversion from international DL to Thai DL.

No full test, you have (!) a DL and just convert it formally,

No indication that these rules have changed.

Color-, eye- and reaction test was usually required in the above cases too.

Maybe sitting and watching some video, but no fullblown theory not driving test.

The rules from the website:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

OK, if you miss to renew the DL in time, then you are up to a theoretical test.

So whenever one tells he had to do so: did you renew in time?

REMARK :

1) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR

- TAKE A THEORY TEST

2) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS

- TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

Edited by KhunBENQ

I remember one of the questions on my test referred to an image. There were several cars labeled A - C.

One of the answers to the question was 'D'.biggrin.png

Fortunately, the answer was not 'D'.

Edited by kleelof

And I did not find any official source saying this has changed.

Renewing from 1 to 5 year license is different from obtaining a license for the first time.

Same applys (applied) to conversion from international DL to Thai DL.

No full test, you have (!) a DL and just convert it formally,

No indication that these rules have changed.

Color-, eye- and reaction test was usually required in the above cases too.

Maybe sitting and watching some video, but no fullblown theory not driving test.

There are no changes to renewing an existing licence, so you won't find any official source stating otherwise.

You are only required to take the 3 simple practical tests I mentioned and maybe watch a small video.

My (Australian) wife renewed her 1 year Thai licence at the MOT in Chiang Mai last week. A long wait but no problems and they gave her a 5 year one without any questions or fuss. You need to take the right paperwork though including health certificate.

the wife says it will now be mandatory to take 12 hours of classroom instruction (2 X 6 hours) before you can get a license.

How about having one already just need an extension ?

There is no such thing as an extension for a Thai driver license. You apply for a get a new DL. 1 year to 5 year dl or a 5 year dl to another 5 year dl. At each renewal you will be required to take the testing procedures.

Not the case with me, I renewed my driving licence about three years ago, all I did was pay my money and I was issued with a new five year one, although the new rules may be different now. TiT, just like most places here, different testing centres may have different rules.

No, the extende questioneers are only for those who apply for the first time. However, what is new is a mandatory one hour view of a safety tape and therefore one can no longer just walk in and have the extension done. The office has some predefined slots for that.

I just extended my five year license for a new one.

No, the extende questioneers are only for those who apply for the first time. However, what is new is a mandatory one hour view of a safety tape and therefore one can no longer just walk in and have the extension done. The office has some predefined slots for that.

The one hour video is not new. My DL expires at the end of this year and when I applied for my 5 year renewal nearly 6 years ago I was required to sit in on a one hour video. This is in Chiang Mai.

What documents were required? Thanks.

While I am new to posting I have been an advid reader for quite some time.

I recently, May 6, 2014, renewed my 1 yr license at the Chonburi 1 location. No test just the standard document requirements.

5-year driving licence first renewal situation in Udon Thani today (for motor-bike and car)

Firstly, at Udon Immigration I provided the requisite papers to obtain the residence permit (as required by the driving authorities). The procedure was straightforward and relatively quick. I was aware that a forum post indicated if you were applying for 2 licences you only needed one original and a copy would do for the second (definitely the case for the medical certificate). When asked to present my licence I handed over both licences, I think if you handed over just the one maybe you could get that copied and it would suffice and of course only pay the single ฿500 but I did not want to risk it and was given 2 residence certificates for the price of ฿1,000.

At the driving licence centre the procedure was almost the same as last year when I obtained my first licences with the exception that this time they asked me to take the traffic light and brake test. There was one strange moment when the seemingly experienced worker questioned my visa status of her colleague believing that my one year permission to stay based on retirement may only allow me to renew for another year. There was an inference (thankfully seemingly only from her) that if I was married then that would more obviously entitle me to a 5-year licence.

They were not very busy and the whole procedure took about 20 minutes. ฿960 for the two.

When asked to present my licence I handed over both licences, I think if you handed over just the one maybe you could get that copied and it would suffice and of course only pay the single ฿500 but I did not want to risk it and was given 2 residence certificates for the price of ฿1,000.

As far as I am aware there is (should be?) no charge for a residence certificate from immigration - although a kind gesture is sometimes "appreciated".....!

Whether renewing or applying for the fist time I advise you take the following documents.

1. Passport

2. Existing Licence

3. Certificate of residence

4. Fee.

Copies of 1-3 including current Visa stamps in your passport.

I read quite a few topics where members state a Certificate of Residence is obtainable from Immigration.

Some pay a fee, others don't. Theoretically CR should be supplied free.

I got my Certificate of Residence from the local Cop Shop

Immigration is 2 hours away by car.

Some will mock me now and say the Police can't issue CR's.

Have you tried?

They have templates already set up on the computers..............no charge.

The one hour video is not new. My DL expires at the end of this year and when I applied for my 5 year renewal nearly 6 years ago I was required to sit in on a one hour video. This is in Chiang Mai.

That was a quick 6 years, that means mine is due too rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whether renewing or applying for the fist time I advise you take the following documents.

1. Passport

2. Existing Licence

4. Fee.

I read quite a few topics where members state a Certificate of Residence is obtainable from Immigration.

Have you tried?

I obtained my certificate of residence from Jomtien Immigration last year (they're within walking distance). There was a fee of 200 or 300 baht.

The new 50 question test is for an initial license only, you will however have to sit in a class if you are renewing a 5 year license, no test is required.

Thanks for that. I need to apply renew my licence towards the end of August.

Alan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1. Passport

2. Existing Licence

4. Fee.

Have you tried?

Ooops! Documents required: 5. Medical Certificate

Edited by Faz