Police unveil new measures to resolve traffic problems in Bangkok

webfact

I would say 90% are driving carefully and with regard for human life. 10% are not.

99.999% are violating rules, But that's because following rules strictly can get you killed. (Try stopping for pedestrians and see what happens behind you..)

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go over any bridge in Bangkok clearly labelled no motorbikes and you will see hundreds going down the middle between lanes of cars.

On the rare occasion the police set up a check point mid bridge, they bikes simply turn around and leave, only to return later in the day, next day etc.

Solution: Block them from taking the bridges : permanent placed at the bridge entrance but that would be too much work or even better just haul them all off and impound them for 10,000 baht.

Or even better take away the silly bike restrictions!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree. What is the rationale for restricting motorcycles from the bridges anyway?

Go over any bridge in Bangkok clearly labelled no motorbikes and you will see hundreds going down the middle between lanes of cars.

On the rare occasion the police set up a check point mid bridge, they bikes simply turn around and leave, only to return later in the day, next day etc.

Solution: Block them from taking the bridges : permanent placed at the bridge entrance but that would be too much work or even better just haul them all off and impound them for 10,000 baht.

Or even better take away the silly bike restrictions!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree. What is the rationale for restricting motorcycles from the bridges anyway?

None that I know of we have a bridge (flyover) at the mall Ngam Wong Wan one way you are allowed to take it the other way you are not. Crazy to say the least. I can understand no food carts and such.. but bikes crazy.

Just imagine if everyone who rides a bike rides a car because of stupid rules how busy it would be. Don't say it wont happen as I got a car and a bike.. I prefer the bike but the flyover rule is crazy an almost (because not checked often) makes me want to take my car to add to the traffic.

Anyway there are idiot bikers for sure.. just like there are idiot car drivers.. we all have our pet hates mine is black fortuners as i see them often do crazy stuff. But it could be because i notice them more.

Build roads and most problems will be alleviated real fast. Right now, i want to go north, i leave my place and get into traffic with all the people going south, east and west. There are no options to go anywhere. Dead end sois everywhere offer no help. Major intersections, instesd of installing traffic lights, get blocked and everyone going straight has got to join all the people going left, drive in traffic for who knows how long, make a uturn, join all the people going right, sit in traffic again and then finally you can turn left again - all just to cross the road!

Motorcycle s wouldn't be riding on the sidewalks if there were reasonable options. You all would do the same. I ride my bike on the sidewalk in places even though i hate to. But the only other option is riding several more km in dangerous traffic with really dangerous turns. Riding 200m on a sidewalk is actually the least dangerous choice for everyone

-*I typed this myself*-

How about regulating and synchronizing all the lights? Removing sleeping officers from changing the lights.

Then heavily fining cars double parking , parking illegally and those blocking intersections.

That alone should improve traffic

That was promised in last months press release....

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes I thought they'd done something like this only recently. They should have to make another statement about how successful their plans have been.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually the only measure needed is "Enforcement without corruption". If that can be done, traffic would be much smoother due to large number of driver/rider would be unlicense. And please do something about those buses and passenger van waiting for passenger on the second lane of the road.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, but motorcycles are far from the real problem! Bikes do not cause the hour long trip home that is only 2KM away. In fact the only way to get around this city is by BTS, MRT, or motorcycle taxi. Yes, they do break a lot of laws - driving on sidewalks, ignoring lights and traffic control signs - But when a light turns green they can go, while those sitting in a taxi, bus, or car will continue to watch the light turn to yellow, then to red, back to green and so - and never move!!!

You can start with the buses - moving from the far right hand lane all the way over the left lane - then to stop at the bus stop. Then pull out with the assistant waving their hand out the window so they can get back into the far right hand lane - just to travel for 500 meters before repeating it all over again!

Next group to go after - those idiots that block a lane of traffic to make a right hand turn (or u-turn) because they are in a hurry and did not want to merge 300 meters back with the rest of the honest drivers. This should be the 10,000 baht fine! Solve that and the drive times in Bangkok would be half!

We all of our stories about stupid drivers in Bangkok or even Thailand - but you have to admit one thing: Thank god the Thai's have not learned how to use the horns like those in LA or New York!!! Instead of us talking about these stupid traffic problems, we would be talking about the noise pollution.

Posted Today, 01:39

Bangkok traffic police blitz

BANGKOK: -- Traffic police in Bangkok have vowed to strictly enforce a new campaign starting on Monday that focuses on strong enforcement of traffic laws.

The blitz will include towing away vehicles, locking wheels, arrests, detention - and traffic cops being polite, Royal Thai Police adviser Lt-General Wuthi Liptapallop said.

-- The Nation 2014-06-07

Could it be that the police now have a military "advisor" Royal Thai Police adviser Lt-General Wuthi Liptapallop.

His advice to the remaining police brass : Do your jobs properly or your collective asses will be kicked to the same inactive post as your previous boss.

As for the BKK traffic problems, anyone has to be out of their tiny little minds to actually want to drive in that mess.

There are far to many tiny little minds that must drive when there is plenty of public transport available.

If only half the private cars were off the roads, most with only one person in, then there would be no problem.

Easy to see when you are sitting high up in a bus without having to worry about what you are doing, where you are going or what others are doing, try it some time.

Sorry, but motorcycles are far from the real problem! Bikes do not cause the hour long trip home that is only 2KM away. In fact the only way to get around this city is by BTS, MRT, or motorcycle taxi. Yes, they do break a lot of laws - driving on sidewalks, ignoring lights and traffic control signs - But when a light turns green they can go, while those sitting in a taxi, bus, or car will continue to watch the light turn to yellow, then to red, back to green and so - and never move!!!

You can start with the buses - moving from the far right hand lane all the way over the left lane - then to stop at the bus stop. Then pull out with the assistant waving their hand out the window so they can get back into the far right hand lane - just to travel for 500 meters before repeating it all over again!

Next group to go after - those idiots that block a lane of traffic to make a right hand turn (or u-turn) because they are in a hurry and did not want to merge 300 meters back with the rest of the honest drivers. This should be the 10,000 baht fine! Solve that and the drive times in Bangkok would be half!

I agree about the u-turn guys that won't use the designated u-turn or the chinese thais that stop on the side of the road during rush hour, put their hazard lights on and go into some shop for some yummy take away snacks. It's apparently legal if you put your hazard lights on lol

Back to bikes for a minute (as I mentioned 'some drivers' previously). Yesterday making a 'legal' u-turn in rush hour can be challenging at the best of times due to oncoming traffic etc, so with one eye on the oncoming traffic I get 85% of the way around and guess what? yep, a motorbike going the wrong way against traffic - I came within inches of mowing him down. Hopefully he sh _ t himself in the process.

I work around Thonglor and have never seen anyone pulled over for non use of helmet and it's the norm there for the locals. Guess the boys are too busy out shaken down farangs for pee tests and not carrying their passports to be worried about enforcing traffic laws.

How many times we will have to read this kind of bullshiiit ?

Nothing will ever change, so just shut up !!!

maybe they read TV. Just got back from a little trip to Villa and the boys were out in full force near Krungthep Bridge - Charoen Nakorn pulling over anything and everything resembling a bike.

No sign of the E Ticket Gizmo however.

95% of the drivers here are ok in my opinion.

The other 5% put us all in danger.

Fact is, you can drive like an idiot on a straight road here and there is no chance of getting busted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What ???????????????? You are surely not talking about Thailand, are you?

Yes. I drive here every day and have done for 15 years.

Most drivers here are fine.

Fact is, you can drive like an idiot on a straight road here and there is no chance of getting busted for it.

Is this Thailand we are talking about here? If so where?