Rayong: Thousands evacuated over 'toxic gas'

webfact

i have notice in pattaya ,some nights at about 3 or 4 am a strong foul odour,i am thinkning it is possible a factory near by releases some gas..with all the factories and refinning plants nearby,who knows,and with the slack regulations in thailand,who knows....

It will be you farting in your sleep

You do know Maptuphut is nearly 40km away from Pattaya so highly unlikely what you smelt was from this

That may be true, but Siracha is pretty close to Pattaya, they have a good few refineries over there.. Not trying to piss anyone off, just stating the facts..

Apparently, it was a local Tapioca processing plant on the Sukumvit Rd (opposite Sintawee Gardens) that was the culprit in this case, although the actual type of gas released has not been identified or announced.

Banchang is up till now relatively unaffected by the operations of Maptaphut, and other industrial environs. Despite the claims of spamming touts trying to sell condos.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Lots of surmising but very little solid information. Looks like this will be easy to sweep under the carpet.

There seems little will by anyone to get to grips with the massive petrochemical industry in this area.

Both Thai and International companies seem to have a free rein here.

• Like 1

Apparently, it was a local Tapioca processing plant on the Sukumvit Rd (opposite Sintawee Gardens) that was the culprit in this case, although the actual type of gas released has not been identified or announced.

Banchang is up till now relatively unaffected by the operations of Maptaphut, and other industrial environs. Despite the claims of spamming touts trying to sell condos.rolleyes.gif

I guess you missed the mercaptan leak a few years ago. Truly amazing stuff that was.

i have notice in pattaya ,some nights at about 3 or 4 am a strong foul odour,i am thinkning it is possible a factory near by releases some gas..with all the factories and refinning plants nearby,who knows,and with the slack regulations in thailand,who knows....

You do know Maptuphut is nearly 40km away from Pattaya so highly unlikely what you smelt was from this

That may be true, but Siracha is pretty close to Pattaya, they have a good few refineries over there.. Not trying to piss anyone off, just stating the facts..
Sri Racha was on the verge of a mass evacuation about 12 years ago when one of the refineries caught fire at Lkaem Chabang. There are 2 large refineries there. However around Bang Chang the situation is different the whole coast along there is petrochemicals..... Not simply refineries. The nearest to BC are about 10 minutes away. In some areas there, there is a perpetual smell of chlorine and other chemicals.

I guess you missed the mercaptan leak a few years ago. Truly amazing stuff that was.

Nope. That was from one of PTT's Phenol plants. Their main contractor installed a wrong gasket in one of the tanks. Lived and worked in this area on and off for a long time, and know most of what happens in Maptaphut.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We looked at Rayong Beach area but the more we found out about the area (the big chemical factory 1km towards the North we decided on Chao Loa Beach which doesn't have any factories anywhere near it and clear air as it rains so much.

Ban Chan has a very high childhood leukemia rate, the kids cancer ward in Chonburi is full of kids from there.

I find it amazing Thailand how the Map Ta Put mess continues to be swept under the carpet.

Note, Rayong Beach is south of Map Ta Put, Ban Chan is the town close by.

The reason that people are evacuated to Ban Chang sport field during any instance of gas or chemical leak at Mapthaput s that it is in the opposite direction of the prevailing wind which blows from Mapthaput towards Rayong and is considered a safe option.

Your line about Leukemia is nonsense!.

Having lived in Ban Chang for about 6 years I have to say I have never smelled any "bad chlorine type smells" day or night. As as stated above the prevailing wind blows anything from Maphtaput towards Rayong. It's interesting to also note that the smell appears to have come from the tapioca processing plant and not Maphtaput anyway.

As for the leukemia comment...... Everytime I go to Queen Sirikit Hospital the queue of leukemia patients , especially the children, always delays my appointment.... I think not.

• Like 1

We looked at Rayong Beach area but the more we found out about the area (the big chemical factory 1km towards the North we decided on Chao Loa Beach which doesn't have any factories anywhere near it and clear air as it rains so much.

Ban Chan has a very high childhood leukemia rate, the kids cancer ward in Chonburi is full of kids from there.

I find it amazing Thailand how the Map Ta Put mess continues to be swept under the carpet.

Not so amazing when you know who owns the petro-chemical plants in the area.

Heavydrinker was in town recently, he's well known for his gas laugh.png

• Like 2

Note and sorry to be pedantic , but Rayong beach is east of Maptaput, where i also live.

Yes our students were sent home early today, because of another gas leak alet it seems.

I went to class after lunch, and students were telling me they were going home, because of this leak , yet many students were staying in school because parents couldnt be contacted or were also working and not able to pick remaining kids up, 3 teachers got back to the office , me included and many foreign teachers had gone home already. Nice of them to tell us.

I did not smell anything , but for a brief 5 minute period, and then only very faintly. Yet many of the kids were wearing surgical masks, which were about as much use as a cigarette lighter on a motorbike!!!

• Like 1

I wasalarmed one evening when there was one hell of a glow in the night sky and i thought something major was going on , so i jumped in the car and went for a look at what was occuriing at Mapthaput Ind Est, this is what i saw one evening , it only seems to happen in the evening and maybe that smoke you can see is why, maybe they hope the night sky will make it unseeable, but as you can all see it is very dark in colour, and very thick in its output. On the evening of this picture the smoke was heading in a North Easterly direction from Mapthaput . I am now aware that this particular stack flares off regularly and always at night ?? There are also many more stacks flaring off all day here , but I never see smoke like this coming off any of them?????

post-115850-0-30432200-1402311369_thumb.post-115850-0-96568800-1402311471_thumb.

Edited by daiwill60

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The reason that people are evacuated to Ban Chang sport field during any instance of gas or chemical leak at Mapthaput s that it is in the opposite direction of the prevailing wind which blows from Mapthaput towards Rayong and is considered a safe option.

Your line about Leukemia is nonsense!.

Having lived in Ban Chang for about 6 years I have to say I have never smelled any "bad chlorine type smells" day or night. As as stated above the prevailing wind blows anything from Maphtaput towards Rayong. It's interesting to also note that the smell appears to have come from the tapioca processing plant and not Maphtaput anyway.

As for the leukemia comment...... Everytime I go to Queen Sirikit Hospital the queue of leukemia patients , especially the children, always delays my appointment.... I think not.

Maybe next visit to the hospital you should get your olfactics checked?

I think you might also check up on how leukaemia is treated.

Edited by wilcopops

Seems there was another fire tonight. My wife's cousin emailed her about this a few hours ago.

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL4N0OQ37A20140609

BANGKOK, June 9 (Reuters) - A fire damaged a diesel-production unit on Monday at the 215,000 barrels-per-day Rayong plant operated by Thai refiner IRPC, the company's chief executive told Reuters.

The blaze at the refinery, on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand, was brought under control, said IRPC CEO Sukrit Surabotsopon in a telephone interview.

Sukrit was unable to say if output at the plant had been affected.

"The fire broke out at the preparation area to supply feedstock to a diesel cracking unit," he said. "We don't know how much damage there has been. We are assessing it."

It's called sarcasm. You TV keyboard warriors really need to get a life. I guess not much else to do in your life but sit and type

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah the lowest form of wit....and you're an amateur, at that!

Seems there was another fire tonight. My wife's cousin emailed her about this a few hours ago.

BANGKOK, June 9 (Reuters) - A fire damaged a diesel-production unit on Monday at the 215,000 barrels-per-day Rayong plant operated by Thai refiner IRPC, the company's chief executive told Reuters.

The blaze at the refinery, on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand, was brought under control, said IRPC CEO Sukrit Surabotsopon in a telephone interview.

"The fire broke out at the preparation area to supply feedstock to a diesel cracking unit," he said. "We don't know how much damage there has been. We are assessing it."

Would that be the same fire that was reported at a 'petrochemical plant' in the BP this morning ?

If so there was a suggestion that the smell had something to do with the fire, or should that be the fire had something to do with the smell.

Would that be the same fire that was reported at a 'petrochemical plant' in the BP this morning ?

If so there was a suggestion that the smell had something to do with the fire, or should that be the fire had something to do with the smell.

Or answer C.....this is a separate incident and nothing to do with the "smell"