Shock defeat of majority leader Eric Cantor by Tea Party sends shockwaves through Republican Party

webfact

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tea Party isn't a political party. You can't join it. It has no official leaders. In the instant case it was an ad hoc group of people who voted for a Republican.

The reason for its name is the remembrance of the Boston Tea Party in 1773. That was a "party" where American colonists threw tea from ships into the Boston Harbor to protest a tax the King of England had placed on importing that tea. It is an apt name for the current "Tea Party" which is fighting against big government, deficit spending and massive federal debt. It is also fighting against giving amnesty to illegal aliens which both Dems and Repubs would do if no one was paying attention.

I often find myself voting for the same person the "Tea Party" supports because I too object to giving amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, and I object to the spending, deficits, and growing government and national debt.

I think that's solid thinking.

• Like 2

Too many politicians of all stripes and countries say one thing and do another. We all gain when these sods bite the dust.

This was a major victory for the Republican Party. May the housekeeping continue until all the big government Quislings have been shown the door. Once the party has cleansed itself of this rot, the abomination of far left rule will create the impetus for a return to Conservative governance.

Some here have referred to the Republicans as "obstructionists."

Damn right. The Dems have the POTUS and a majority in the Senate and the debt and deficit have skyrocketed since Obama took office. When Obama took office in 2009 the national debt was 10.9 tril. Today it is `17.5 tril. By the time Obama leaves office, it will have doubled.

The POTUS has to approve all national spending.

The nation can't afford to have it double again. Someone has to stop it.

I suppose they will be called "obstructionists."

PS Bush Jr. wasn't much better and I can't stand him. He's a Republican. It isn't about party, it's about the future of the country.

old and white and conservative but they are mostly motivated by their strong dislike that we have a black man using the front door of the White House.

There are so many better reasons to dislike the guy than the color of his skin.

I know plenty of conservatives that detest Obama and the color of his skin is not a factor. His lame policies, dishonestly and hypocrisy are the problem.

I am not big on the Tea Party either, but mostly because they are too rigid in their ideology and poor at picking candidates that can win.

Most will agree that Obama is lame. Very lame.

But nothing in modern U.S. history can match the sheer incompetence and wanton destruction of Reagan and the Bushes.

I am an American patriot and this is what I think of the Tea Party in America.

The Democrats have this "enemies list" --- denominated in epithets and insults aimed at the people whose wallets they wish to hijack and take up residence inside. You can be a Racist! and you can be a Terrorist! and you can be a Dictator and you can be a Hostage-taker! and you can Wear a tinfoil hat! and you can be a Homophobe! You can be Selfish! and you can be a Wacko! and you can be a Hick! and you can be a Rube! and you can be Uneducated and you can be an Extremist! You can be a Right-wing-nut! and you can be Mentally Ill and you can be Deranged! and you can be a Flake! and you can be a Warmonger! and you can be "Unenlightened!" and you can be a FatCat! and you can be a Greedy! member of the productive class, and you can be a Nazi! and you can be a Fascist! --- although no one more closely approaches the precise description of Nazi! or Fascist! than the usual Democrat propagandist --- either official, or self-appointed.

Lies, after all, are the heart and soul and the sword and shield of the Democrat party.

So... all you have to do to occupy multiple epithets on the Democrats enemies list is to insist that they take their hands off yourself, off your wallet, off your property, off your kids, off your diet, off your healthcare, off your household appliances, off your car, off your bank account, off your weapons of self-defense, off your liberty, and off your freedom of speech.

Insist on all these good things --- and that qualifies you to be spat upon by nasty, mean-spirited scum --- by The Friends of All Mankind --- by a gang of lying, thieving, dope-smoking, pill-popping, coke-snorting, sticky-fingered, bloodsucking, tax-eating, gun-stealing, predatory humanitarian hoodlums, thugs and gangsters, and by their spies, spooks, and snoops, who seek to silence their critics --- by the Democrat party, in other words.

No political party in the history of America more profoundly deserves absolute and outright destruction. And that gentlemen, is why the Tea party exists. Period. Thanks.

What a load of doodoo.

"Lies, after all, are the heart and soul and the sword and shield of the Democrat party."

I used to be a staunch Rebublican until I became thoroughly nauseated by their lies, bigotry and underhanded tactics.

The Tea Party exists bcoz rad-con right-wingers will never be satisfied until America returns to the robber barons days where only rich, powerful WASP Republicans had rights. Tea baggers are the greatest threat to America's future.

• Like 1

I doubt this political upset says anything more than that Cantor was an incredibly arrogant SOB while at the same time had become politically incompetent. It has little to say about the hopelessly out of touch far-right Republican Party or about that delightful political footnote to history, the modern "Tea-Party". The US has a long history of these smaller political movements. There was the "Know-Nothings" who did indeed bear some resemblance to the modern Tea Party and on the other side of the spectrum was T. Roosevelt's "Bull Moose" party. But after 2016, after Obama has exited the White House, the real reason that the Tea Party exists will evaporate and the normal, slightly more rational, pro small-government and pro-corporate (the antithesis of the original Tea Party of 1773) Republican Party will reestablish itself. Although I can imagine that if Hillary Clinton were to become president that there being a woman in the White House might allow the modern Tea Party to attract some of the faithful for a few more years, just not as rabidly as having a Black man in the White House allowed the movement to prosper, or perhaps I should day fester.

• Like 2

Cantor was a crony capitalist (like reid & pelosi) who worked for the US chamber who want cheap illegal workers.

The rumour was that Cantor was planning to cut a deal with obama on amnesty. Ergo he had to go. Cantor, in my opinion, was a slimy weasel. This clears the way for Henserling to become majority leader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I am an American patriot and this is what I think of the Tea Party in America.

The Democrats have this "enemies list" --- denominated in epithets and insults aimed at the people whose wallets they wish to hijack and take up residence inside. You can be a Racist! and you can be a Terrorist! and you can be a Dictator and you can be a Hostage-taker! and you can Wear a tinfoil hat! and you can be a Homophobe! You can be Selfish! and you can be a Wacko! and you can be a Hick! and you can be a Rube! and you can be Uneducated and you can be an Extremist! You can be a Right-wing-nut! and you can be Mentally Ill and you can be Deranged! and you can be a Flake! and you can be a Warmonger! and you can be "Unenlightened!" and you can be a FatCat! and you can be a Greedy! member of the productive class, and you can be a Nazi! and you can be a Fascist! --- although no one more closely approaches the precise description of Nazi! or Fascist! than the usual Democrat propagandist --- either official, or self-appointed.

Lies, after all, are the heart and soul and the sword and shield of the Democrat party.

So... all you have to do to occupy multiple epithets on the Democrats enemies list is to insist that they take their hands off yourself, off your wallet, off your property, off your kids, off your diet, off your healthcare, off your household appliances, off your car, off your bank account, off your weapons of self-defense, off your liberty, and off your freedom of speech.

Insist on all these good things --- and that qualifies you to be spat upon by nasty, mean-spirited scum --- by The Friends of All Mankind --- by a gang of lying, thieving, dope-smoking, pill-popping, coke-snorting, sticky-fingered, bloodsucking, tax-eating, gun-stealing, predatory humanitarian hoodlums, thugs and gangsters, and by their spies, spooks, and snoops, who seek to silence their critics --- by the Democrat party, in other words.

No political party in the history of America more profoundly deserves absolute and outright destruction. And that gentlemen, is why the Tea party exists. Period. Thanks.

Can really feel the love there.

Seem to recall something about a house divided ?

• Like 1

I have never understood the fascination so many conservative Americans have with Teabagging , or whatever it is they call their movement.

The entire philosophy seems to be focused on obstructionism and not in the spirit of compromise that our Nation was founded on.

I have spoken to many of these teabaggers (?) and they are all so angry about everything. There is not a topic they are not pissed off about.

when those in power seem oblivious to all reality regarding how far you can keep running up astronomic debt what else can those that disagree do but obstruct ? If the White House administration had made even a token gesture to be more fiscally responsible maybe you would have seen more compromise.

Yeah, GWB's spending was out of control.

Oh wait...you were talking about Obama.

Fact is, they both were spending out of control but most Republicans were not upset until it was Obamas turn.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand either one of them, its just that I don't see things in blue and red.

I think that this article is exaggerating a LOT. A Tea party candidate beat one of the old guard. That is not exactly a revolution. whistling.gif

Play with semantics as you may, but this is indeed a very big deal for the mainstream Republicans.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links. Since it is now considered a mainstream term for members of the party, it can be used. I would suggest you exercise care in how you use it because it also has a less-than-flattering meaning.

Scott,

Now that I am aware of its alternate meaning I will refrain from using it.

From now on I will use TP when I reference the membership of the Tea Party.

Regards

Edited by Maestro
Removed part of post that referred to a removed post.
  • Like 1

Most will agree that Obama is lame. Very lame.

But nothing in modern U.S. history can match the sheer incompetence and wanton destruction of Reagan and the Bushes.

I didn't know that anyone caused the destruction of Reagan and the Bushes. You'd think that would have been front page news.

What should be front page news is that Obama, in just 8 short years, will have doubled the US national debt from what it was after more than 200 years of operating - a Revolutionary War, a Civil War, two World Wars, numerous conflicts including what the Bushes did...

Doubled all of that. Obama and his ilk have to go.

Ah yes, one of my favorite arguments based on the premise that GWB handed Obama a perfectly functioning economy and it only tanked when Obama took over the controls. ;-)

Perfectly functioning economy?

He handed Obama a country near bankruptcy and caught up in the two most expensive wars in our

history, totally unnecessary wars. Wars that have had no purpose other than to sacrifice the lives of

young soldiers and squander U.S. goodwill around the world. Wake up, it may not be too late.

Likely a death knell to the GOP...It represents fractures within the republican party - between moderates and fiscal conservatives on the one hand and a xenophobic grouping of "do nothing" and "Christian Taliban" on the other that are out of step on most issues with the rest of America. It will be interesting to see what happens this coming November - that will be the real test...

Death knell for immigration reform... The latest in the MSM regarding Cantor's loss is that Obama is going to wave his pen and grant amnesty to all of the illegals... The only question I have is when Boehner will grow some balls and begin either impeachment proceedings or criminal charges again both the POTUS and Eric Holder for blatantly subverting the law... In times past they would have been strung up from a tree by now... Today, everyone wrings their hands and worries about being PC while the Republic is being flushed down the toilet...

Strung from a tree possibly...but atleast some crosses burned into front lawns for sure.

And, yes, I agree fully that its the death knell for Immigration Reform. Thats the problem with a party thats entire platform is to just say no instead of looking for compromise Nd doing some horse trading. They are stuck with whatever rotten legislation the other side comes up with...example ObamaCare.

As for Boehner, last time I saw, he was over in the corner crying again.

Edited by ClutchClark

What happened to Cantor had very little to do with immigration. The clueless will buy into this, the media will sell it and the Republicans will spin publically to create partisanship so Obama will not have the support he needs to accomplish anything else the remainder of his term. This is good.

Behind the scene, Republicans hated Cantor. His staff was rude and antagonized other conservatives. They broke promises, made bad deals and left many feeling betrayed. The acted with arrogance as if they were untouchable. Most conservative congressmen are all pretty much thinking good riddance . . .

Cantor lost a primary because he ignored residents in his district. He could have carried a state wide election, but not his District. Cantor focused on running the Republican House majority and ignored his district. He and his staff focused too much on the Speaker of the House position and not enough on those that depended on him in his own District.

The tea party is weak and cannot carry a state wide election. Will Cantor write in because he has a better chance of success state wide in his own District or did this expose his tendencies and arrogance too much to garner future support?

This is bad for Republicans, not because Cantor lost. This is bad because it may be much easier for a democrat to now pick up this seat in a state wide election.

The message that is resonating is don't shun the people in your own district and don't step on the toes of your fellow party members.

Hopefully amnesty is dead. We really don't need 50 million new democrats. Most of whom with their hand out.

Edited by snarky66
  • Like 2

Hopefully amnesty is dead. We really don't need 50 million new democrats. Most of whom with their hand out.

The Hispanics that I know are darned hard workers with strong family values. The thing that pisses me off about them is their presence in the US keeps wages artificially low for our own Blue-Collar workers.

Real wages for crafts now overwhelmingly occupied by hispanics have not gone up in 20 years in my old stomping grounds.

But I would sooner have them work for me than some 20-something year old kid with his britches halfway down his a$$ crack and spending all day texting.

Edited by ClutchClark

Not really supported by the Tea Party, no cash from the Tea Party, no real support from the Tea Party. Democracy in action the candidate with over five million USD to spend on his campaign was soundly trounced by someone that spent just over $200,000 USD. Democracy in action.

• Like 2

What happened to Cantor had very little to do with immigration. The clueless will buy into this, the media will sell it and the Republicans will spin publically to create partisanship so Obama will not have the support he needs to accomplish anything else the remainder of his term. This is good.

Behind the scene, Republicans hated Cantor. His staff was rude and antagonized other conservatives. They broke promises, made bad deals and left many feeling betrayed. The acted with arrogance as if they were untouchable. Most conservative congressmen are all pretty much thinking good riddance . . .

Cantor lost a primary because he ignored residents in his district. He could have carried a state wide election, but not his District. Cantor focused on running the Republican House majority and ignored his district. He and his staff focused too much on the Speaker of the House position and not enough on those that depended on him in his own District.

The tea party is weak and cannot carry a state wide election. Will Cantor write in because he has a better chance of success state wide in his own District or did this expose his tendencies and arrogance too much to garner future support?

This is bad for Republicans, not because Cantor lost. This is bad because it may be much easier for a democrat to now pick up this seat in a state wide election.

The message that is resonating is don't shun the people in your own district and don't step on the toes of your fellow party members.

You can only vote for your representative for congress if you live in his district (Rep. Cantor's district leans republican). So although there will be a statewide election this November and the entire House of Representatives will face re-election you can only vote for the congressman that represents the district that you reside in (and are registered to vote in), not other representatives in your state.

You can only vote for your representative for congress if you live in his district (Rep. Cantor's district leans republican). So although there will be a statewide election this November and the entire House of Representatives will face re-election you can only vote for the congressman that represents the district that you reside in (and are registered to vote in), not other representatives in your state.

Duh. Stupid comment on my part. I was thinking more in the abstract in that he would have better state wide support than in his won district. The write in part was an after thought and certainly would not put in in any better position. Thanks.

The Hispanics that I know are darned hard workers with strong family values. The thing that pisses me off about them is their presence in the US keeps wages artificially low for our own Blue-Collar workers.

Real wages for crafts now overwhelmingly occupied by hispanics have not gone up in 20 years in my old stomping grounds.

But I would sooner have them work for me than some 20-something year old kid with his britches halfway down his <deleted> crack and spending all day texting.

I know you wouldn't really want someone working for you illegally. Walk into a McDonald's or Burger King in the US. Those kids work hard and follow the rules.

The federal minimum wage has stayed the same for 20 years when adjusted for inflation, but has gone up a good percentage in actual dollars. LINK

Most states have a minimum wage that's higher than that.

Americans on the bottom don't have to work. They can kick back and collect welfare and food stamps etc. and they know how to play the game if they don't really qualify. Then they get a bad back and go on SSI.

If they had to work or go hungry, there would be no work for illegals.

... The only question I have is when Boehner will grow some balls and begin either impeachment proceedings or criminal charges again both the POTUS and Eric Holder for blatantly subverting the law... In times past they would have been strung up from a tree by now... Today, everyone wrings their hands and worries about being PC while the Republic is being flushed down the toilet...

It is so refreshing to see such honesty from the far right. Hell Yes! Screw the restrictions of having to be PC, let's be able to whistle Dixie and just string 'em up on the tree bough boys so we can watch them twist in the wind. What the USofA wants, want it needs, is just a good old fashioned lynching because underneath all the rhetoric, underneath all the shallow political thinking, all that the tea party advocates really want is to get the Black man out of the White House. Hallelujah, the south shall rise again.........................NOT!

What happened to Cantor had very little to do with immigration.

And then again, maybe it had a lot.

(Reuters) - Tea Party Republican Dave Brat, who defeated House of Representatives Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a primary race on Tuesday, is an economics professor from a tiny Virginia college who attacked Cantor over immigration and budget issues.

Brat describes himself a budget expert on his campaign website, saying he "presents a major problem for liberals who try to continue increased government spending by discrediting conservatives."

During the primary campaign, Brat referred to himself as a "term limit" for Cantor, the No. 2 House Republican.

In ads, Brat accused the majority leader of "giving citizenship papers to illegal immigrants."

<snip>

The immigration issue helped Brat win endorsements from notable conservatives such as Ann Coulter, who called Cantor "amnesty-addled" in a column for right-wing news site Townhall.com. Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham also campaigned for Brat in Virginia and slammed Cantor on immigration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/11/us-usa-politics-cantor-brat-idUSKBN0EM08E20140611

Edited by Chicog

One small flaw in your theories about Cantor possibly winning a state wide election.

He was a member of the House of Representatives and no state wide election is held to elect the Representatives to that august body. All elections for House members are local in nature only. Voting for him would have been restricted to those legally eligible to vote in his district.

The only state wide elections for federal office are for the US Senate and Presidential elections.