Spain vs Netherlands - Sat 14 June, 02:00 am - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Onto Group B where World Champions Spain begin the defence of their crown. In a re-run of the 2010 final, this is the first time in the history of the World Cup that the two finalists from the previous tournament have met each other in their opening game.

If you remember the 2010 final was hardly a game remembered for great football but rather Holland's rough tactics, which saw a total of 14 bookings and 1 red card.

Kung <deleted> anyone?

Nigel-de-Jong-006.jpg

What's your predictions this time around?

Can Spain defend their title?

Will it be another bloodbath?

Share your predictions below

I don't really know what came over the Dutch in the last wc final,they can play great football,but i can only think they thought it was the only way they could win,which obviously did not work,i think it could be a little feisty,but hopefully the Dutch try to play football this time if they do we could be in for a terrific game.

With Spain, it's important to remember that this team has played a hell of a lot football in the last five years, getting to finals etc. As much as I loved watching them at the last World Cup and Euro's, I fear WC2014 will just be a step too far for them.

it's possible, and it's also important to remember that their first win is now six years ago in euro 08 - so they've basically just got older now. iniesta still plays like a kid but is 30. torres is finished. but they've still got a lot of knowhow in their squad, a lot of winning mentality - spain are reigning world and european champions and spanish teams won the champions league and uefa cup. if brazil don't really catch fire and argentina are below par then spain could well go all the way again. they've still enough quality and savvy.

• Like 1

holland's defence looks awfully inexperienced. and/or just a bit rubbish.

Looking forward to seeing Bruno Martins Indi perform though.. although they are inexperienced Internationally De Vrij Blind and Janmatt are capable defenders it will be interesting to see if they pick Cillessen(another) in goal ahead of Vorm and Krul who most know well from the Premier League.

The thing with the Dutch is that they seem to have off field problems that affects the squad at times...if not they will do very well in this tournament a good mix of youth and experience same as England.smile.png

1-0 to the Dutch.

• Like 1

I'm hoping I can stay awake long enough to see Spain whup Van Bommel and the bratty Tulip Sniffers.thumbsup.gif

I don't think its so much that Spain can be had this WC as it is that the Netherlands won't make it to the Quarters.

5'll get ya 10 that Van Bommel gets carded...or worse.

Looking forward to seeing Bruno Martins Indi perform though.. although they are inexperienced Internationally De Vrij Blind and Janmatt are capable defenders it will be interesting to see if they pick Cillessen(another) in goal ahead of Vorm and Krul who most know well from the Premier League.

The thing with the Dutch is that they seem to have off field problems that affects the squad at times...if not they will do very well in this tournament a good mix of youth and experience same as England.smile.png

1-0 to the Dutch.

yeah i like the look of martins indi, and daley blind is a smashing player. still think the dutch will lack experience and big game mentality though.

1-0 to the Dutch.

Dutch defense is useless.

Edited by FritsSikkink

I'm hoping I can stay awake long enough to see Spain whup Van Bommel and the bratty Tulip Sniffers.thumbsup.gif

I don't think its so much that Spain can be had this WC as it is that the Netherlands won't make it to the Quarters.

Van Bommel retired years ago.

Van Bommel retired years ago.

Nice to hear !biggrin.png

Van Bommel retired over a year ago...