In 10 Years I Have Never Had A Conversation With A Thai

bowerboy

Yes do completely agree that some people here do live in a dream world...

The below scenario is extremely unlikely...a vast exaggeration to try and prove a futile point.

I am from Australia

Did OP ever consider the Thais just thought he was a complete douche?

Sounds like one.
What a pathetic thread.

I have conversations daily. I live here and learned the language so its not a surprise.

Whilst watering my hedge yesterday some neighbour stopped and we had a conversation for 1 hour. He used to teach Thai and was retired and a bit drunk. We talked of many intetesting things from language acquisition to drilling wells in the garden, and the North Sea, to differences in Buddhism and Christianity. We spoke of the current state if the country. Many times he apoligized for annoying me until I convinced him I was enjoying our chat.

Once they know you're not an arrogant visitir who hasnt learned Thai, they are as like many other Nationalities.
  • Like 1

Causcasion...181cms and 76kgs...work as a professional in oil and gas industry..dress well and drive a nice car as does wife...non BG wife, educated with nice family..never had an in depth conversation with wife and in over 4 years never detected or heard any conversation of any meaning between her family or friends..

Someone is living in a bubble and or dream world and i am pretty certain its not me :)

I can substantiate that claim that some posters on here are out of touch with reality

• Like 2

Yeah weird isnt it...strange how those Indonesians I have known for a short amount of time seem to have a conversation with me that is interesting and engaging wheras Thais I have known and drunk with for 10 years and who like me enough to invite me on nights out long after we have stopped working together don't yet trust me...

Yes you are right...must be something about my appearance and demeanour that is suspicious to 100% of one singular nationality and not others...very astute and I had never thought of that...

Strange how the Indos like you but the Thais don't. Where are you from?

It comes from school, culture and media. Debate about something serious to garner knowledge is.something that is basically frowned upon.

Sit in silence and wait to be told to think. That's the way its done.

I know a lady boy who is the president of a large Thai company. She is very willing to have conversations. She apologizes for her lack of knowledge about Thai history and asks me to fill in the gaps of her education. I found that lady boys in general very talkative and when I was teaching lady boy children were always my best students. Most Thai women in my experience are not very interested in politics or if they are the interest is so emotional so as to not lend the topic to rational discussion. Business on the other hand, the women can discuss with the cold logic of a hangman.

• Like 1

Causcasion...181cms and 76kgs...work as a professional in oil and gas industry..dress well and drive a nice car as does wife...non BG wife, educated with nice family..never had an in depth conversation with wife and in over 4 years never detected or heard any conversation of any meaning between her family or friends..

Someone is living in a bubble and or dream world and i am pretty certain its not me smile.png

I can substantiate that claim that some posters on here are out of touch with reality

Well there you go. Most of the Aussies I know go to Aussie bars and have Aussie mates. Same as Kiwis. Not having a conversation with your wife is shameful, it takes two to tango.

I am lucky. I can and do have frequent meaningful conversations with more than a dozen Thai natives, in English and in translation. Further, I taught over 300 native Thai college students where they spoke freely in English. Of course, I regularly converse with my Thai wife and a rare monk.

I would feel really lost living here 'permanently' without that contact. In fact, I can not imagine a person so isolated who never has such contact. I was so happy to move away from irritating arrogant citizens of USA to a gentle culture, and I certainly did not want to move all the way around the world to hob nob with those same type people (now including Brits, for sure). Reading ThaiVisa also shows me I was right for me.

Reading that topic headline, now I see even more how such extensive cultural imperialism exists among Brits and others in the LOS.

• Like 1

Here is one example of being completely out of touch with reality "The Thais I know have very strong opinions and are willing to discuss them"...it is pretty well an established fact that Thai's are probably the least opinionated people in the world (perhaps only the Laos or Myanmar people being less opinionated if that is possible)...I would think this point is beyond debate..to say Thais have very strong opinions flys totally in the face of everything their culture and religion is about..to say they are willing to discuss their strongly held opinions (and all the implications of face this would have for all involved) shows either no knowledge of the Thai way of things or delusion.

Thais are taught not to think or have an opinion on their own. It's pretty difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone who was taught not to use his/her brain from an early age.

The Thais that I know have very strong opinions and are always willing to discuss them. Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

• Like 2

Here is one example of being completely out of touch with reality "The Thais I know have very strong opinions and are willing to discuss them"...it is pretty well an established fact that Thai's are probably the least opinionated people in the world (perhaps only the Laos or Myanmar people being less opinionated if that is possible)...I would think this point is beyond debate..to say Thais have very strong opinions flys totally in the face of everything their culture and religion is about..to say they are willing to discuss their strongly held opinions (and all the implications of face this would have for all involved) shows either no knowledge of the Thai way of things or delusion.

Thais are taught not to think or have an opinion on their own. It's pretty difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone who was taught not to use his/her brain from an early age.

The Thais that I know have very strong opinions and are always willing to discuss them. Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

Tell that to the "Red shirts" and "yellow shirts".....

• Like 1

Thats not an opinion at all...it is simply greed overriding all other emotions..

Most of the "protesters" were told what to think...again, not exactly a formed opinion

Interesting how you paint ALL Thai's with the same brush.....and this from a man who hasn't had a meaningful conversation with his wife.....Says loads about you! and I can now see why you've never had a meaningful conversation.....probably incapable!

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

You wrote, ".it is pretty well an established fact that Thai's are probably the least opinionated people in the world" And. .I would think this point is beyond debate..to say Thais have very strong opinions flys totally in the face of everything their culture and religion is about."

Not true. Easy to disprove. You are way off base. Do you not watch TV or read Thai newspapers? Gee you must have been in a cave for the past ten years.

I am lucky. I can and do have frequent meaningful conversations with more than a dozen Thai natives, in English and in translation. Further, I taught over 300 native Thai college students where they spoke freely in English. Of course, I regularly converse with my Thai wife and a rare monk.

I would feel really lost living here 'permanently' without that contact. In fact, I can not imagine a person so isolated who never has such contact. I was so happy to move away from irritating arrogant citizens of USA to a gentle culture, and I certainly did not want to move all the way around the world to hob nob with those same type people (now including Brits, for sure). Reading ThaiVisa also shows me I was right for me.

Reading that topic headline, now I see even more how such extensive cultural imperialism exists among Brits and others in the LOS.

I wish u luck in your search for cultural nirvana. One word of advice. Keep on moving, coz it isn't in thailand

• Like 1

Do you not watch TV or read Thai newspapers?

Oh my giddy Aunt...barely worth responding too...have you ever watched the Thai Lakorn? They are so utterly detached from the reality of Thai life..they are also extremely popular.

Does the word "escapism" mean anything to you?

Oh my giddy Aunt...barely worth responding too...have you ever watched the Thai Lakorn? They are so utterly detached from the reality of Thai life..they are also extremely popular.

Oh my giddy Aunt? Did you watch TV when it was turned off by the latest coup? No? Hmmm. Wonder why they turned it off? Do you think the generals thought every one was watching Lakorn?

Grow up. Media is censured in Thailand because the generals are worried. The generals would not be worried if the Thai people watched soap operas.

Does the name "M******* ***p" mean anything to you? Where have you been?

• Like 1

Weren't Dallas and Dynasty two of the most popular shows ever? Ok you are in the oil biz but not many falungs know someone who owns an oil company.

All these people who say Thais don't have opinions either don't speak Thai or talk about things irrelevant to Thais. Thais are usually very opinionated about things that have a direct impact on them. Otherwise they couldn't give a rats about Ukraine, Syria etc. I see their logic but I have been taught to take a worldview but it doesn't mean they are wrong.

Yes do completely agree that some people here do live in a dream world...

The below scenario is extremely unlikely...a vast exaggeration to try and prove a futile point.

I am from Australia

Did OP ever consider the Thais just thought he was a complete douche?

Sounds like one.

What a pathetic thread.

I have conversations daily. I live here and learned the language so its not a surprise.

Whilst watering my hedge yesterday some neighbour stopped and we had a conversation for 1 hour. He used to teach Thai and was retired and a bit drunk. We talked of many intetesting things from language acquisition to drilling wells in the garden, and the North Sea, to differences in Buddhism and Christianity. We spoke of the current state if the country. Many times he apoligized for annoying me until I convinced him I was enjoying our chat.

Once they know you're not an arrogant visitir who hasnt learned Thai, they are as like many other Nationalities.

What makes you think so? Maybe you are linguistically challenged?

We are both ex language teachers - hence language acquisition. Hardly surprising that would be a topic.

He sees me watering my garden for over 1 hour every day - so asked why I didn't drill a well. I used to be a petroleum engineer in Scotland so mentioned that. We live beside a large temple, where he'd just been and we are both interested in religion. The current situation in the country is what NORMAL people chat about.

• Like 2

Someone is living in a bubble and or dream world and i am pretty certain its not me smile.png

Ah, the truth always comes out.

Why the need to say "non BG wife" and ;educated'? Why the need to state "professional"?

It's obvious that you are illiterate and can't hear what's being said around you, on the tv or in the newspapers.

You married a boring woman who can't communicate with you and are trying to feel better about yourself by criticizing the whole country :cheesy:

• Like 1

bowerboy ... do you not have a Thai Partner?

Do you not discuss things at length with that person?

Mate, did you answer this one?

Just read the thread and his posts and you have the answer to your question. To help you more...Post 63.

Hi there!

My report after 10years here!

Most Thais I talk ,are absent , have there minds somewhere else

But not at you!

I know exactly what you mean was also in Bali , the taxi driver begin talk

About his life family and Hinduism !

Got many friends with in 10 years

But the style how this chancel a friendship I realy not like!

Met on phangan a old man from bk

Allready in pension we travel a lot over 3 years to over 10 destinations

Thinking I have a good friend

Then he got problem with Chang beer

His dauther aswer one time in mail

Now he even hang up the phone

And never call me

Some other friends says I call you

But only make emty promising !

Friends I called I save there numbers happy when I call but never call me

Out of the eye out of the mind!

But in western world 20 year ago is exactly the same

To friends massage woman I have a realy got connection since Iam here

We can talk about everything

When I come back stay at same place!

Biggest problem are people that only

Talk when you ask question

Or guide them in the conversation !

Iam at that point, that I can advice all

Thailand is the wrong place to find friends for a life time have to go away!

Good luck to all!

• Like 2

Thai PBS, a free TV channel has plenty of interesting programmes/ documentaries, as with Thai newspapers where there are plenty of stimulating columns and articles, there's far more useful, informative stuff in the Thai tabloids such as Thai Rath and Daily News than in the English equivalents, The Sun and Mirror.

But for sure the majority of Thai TV viewers show little interest in serious programmes, they prefer 'human interest' stories, talk shows or comedy. something to relax to.

Which is no different from the West where tabloid sales far outweigh the serious dailies.

I feel the OP just hasn't had the chance to get to know middle class Thais over a meaningful period of time, perhaps his job assignments haven't given him the time to cultivate relationships.

• Like 1

Agree with the op,i can speak enough to understand a fair bit of what they are talking about,mostly 1 money,2 food and 3 strangely ab nam seems to come up an awful lot,i also know when they are gossiping as they all talk in whispers,and of course when i am around always falang this falang that,only once have i ever heard them discuss politics,sport never,the outside world? to most village Thai's there is none outside the local area,of course this is mainly due to the poor education system,but the language from what i see is a simple one so maybe this stymies conversation .

• Like 1