We need to make this the last military takeover

Lite Beer

This is a very admirable objective and will require a huge amount of work from the military before the next election.

The military will need to " Adjust the Attitudes " of many of the criminal politicians in Thailand.

​Perhaps jailing them for 20 years as was done to the Rice Miller last week would certainly make them think before they embark on another criminal corruption spree.

It worked for Mussolini, Hitler and Stalin!!

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very admirable objective and will require a huge amount of work from the military before the next election.

The military will need to " Adjust the Attitudes " of many of the criminal politicians in Thailand.

​Perhaps jailing them for 20 years as was done to the Rice Miller last week would certainly make them think before they embark on another criminal corruption spree.

It worked for Mussolini, Hitler and Stalin!!

And it worked for Thaksin Shinawatra and his sister Yingluck

The coup in Egypt came with more than 3,000 dead but the US wouldn't call it a coup for fear that the legislative mechanism from the Congress would kick in. The Americans were also concerned about losing a strategic partner.

That's because it was most likely orchestrated and backed by the US.

The USA didn't interfere in Egypt because the muslim brotherhood were in the process of turning Egypt in to a sharia al qaeda state.

What's your agenda ?

If I was a red shirt in perpetual poverty because the schemes were designed NOT to make me rich, but to offer rewards I would vote for them if they offered 40% above market value. If the PTP set fire to buildings in Bangkok, called the public garbage, told people they will get what they want when they vote PTP I would still vote PTP because I was getting 40% above market value.

Rest assured though when the PTP don't get the majority at elections they won't respect the results as they didn't respect the majority that did not want the amnesty. The majority that wanted the 2007 constitution. The majority that are happy the Junta have taken over.

So when you say vote them out I would if the DEM's offered 41% above market value. They however put the country first, not a very narrow 7% of the population to win votes.

This is why reform is needed. Not to allow the DEM's to win, but to stop the abuses of democracy post pallet box. When you see the govt doing the above post ballot box then something is wrong. Something is broken and the "vote them out" attitude doesn't seem to stop the abuses of democracy post ballot box and when should we ignore that attitude. When the country is in ruins. The PTP hold the voters in contempt now. The voters will be inconsequential given enough time. They already were when the amnesty was voted on.

It is a massively simple concept to understand and is applied in most of the world. Democracy begins post ballot box and when the govt win an election so they can abuse democracy then something is broken. I thank the PTP for highlighting it.

May reconciliation be with you. (Not the one that gets criminals and terrorists off the hook though)

While I don't disagree with most of your post, there is one point that are wrong about, as many others are as well. You state "The majority that wanted the 2007 constitution." Wrong. When the junta put forth that constitution, parts of the country were under martial law and not allowed to vote. The military made it "illegal" for people to say anything negative about the "constitution", threatening them with prison for doing so, and gave them the "option" of voting for it, or staying under martial "indefinitely". So, naturally the people voted for the lesser of two evils, and even then it BARELY received a majority vote.

Like I said, I agree with your overall post, but you, and many other who spout the same "myth" about the 2007 Constitution, should really do some research about it before making your claim of how the "majority" voted for it.

• Like 2

The coup in Egypt came with more than 3,000 dead but the US wouldn't call it a coup for fear that the legislative mechanism from the Congress would kick in. The Americans were also concerned about losing a strategic partner.

The USA didn't interfere in Egypt because the muslim brotherhood were in the process of turning Egypt in to a sharia al qaeda state.

What's your agenda ?

"The Muslim brotherhood were in the process of turning Egypt in to a sharia al qaeda state".

What's wrong with that...let them wipe each other out!

If they want to live in a world without modern education, sanitation etc... let them, its is futile, to live like that is to be nothing more than a pack of savages crawling around on all fours and barking at each other like dogs, it wont be long before they have wiped each other out and good riddance!

My agenda is to go fishing every day, and every now and then I like to throw out a coloured lure to see who bites! and this time it was you! hook line and sinker!

• Like 1

I believe that if General Prayuth's plan runs to order and there is a radical sea change in the way Thailand is governed then this could be the last coup. Of course that will ultimately depend on the politicians the Thais vote for in the future.

• Like 1

If I was a red shirt in perpetual poverty because the schemes were designed NOT to make me rich, but to offer rewards I would vote for them if they offered 40% above market value. If the PTP set fire to buildings in Bangkok, called the public garbage, told people they will get what they want when they vote PTP I would still vote PTP because I was getting 40% above market value.

Rest assured though when the PTP don't get the majority at elections they won't respect the results as they didn't respect the majority that did not want the amnesty. The majority that wanted the 2007 constitution. The majority that are happy the Junta have taken over.

So when you say vote them out I would if the DEM's offered 41% above market value. They however put the country first, not a very narrow 7% of the population to win votes.

This is why reform is needed. Not to allow the DEM's to win, but to stop the abuses of democracy post pallet box. When you see the govt doing the above post ballot box then something is wrong. Something is broken and the "vote them out" attitude doesn't seem to stop the abuses of democracy post ballot box and when should we ignore that attitude. When the country is in ruins. The PTP hold the voters in contempt now. The voters will be inconsequential given enough time. They already were when the amnesty was voted on.

It is a massively simple concept to understand and is applied in most of the world. Democracy begins post ballot box and when the govt win an election so they can abuse democracy then something is broken. I thank the PTP for highlighting it.

May reconciliation be with you. (Not the one that gets criminals and terrorists off the hook though)

While I don't disagree with most of your post, there is one point that are wrong about, as many others are as well. You state "The majority that wanted the 2007 constitution." Wrong. When the junta put forth that constitution, parts of the country were under martial law and not allowed to vote. The military made it "illegal" for people to say anything negative about the "constitution", threatening them with prison for doing so, and gave them the "option" of voting for it, or staying under martial "indefinitely". So, naturally the people voted for the lesser of two evils, and even then it BARELY received a majority vote.

Like I said, I agree with your overall post, but you, and many other who spout the same "myth" about the 2007 Constitution, should really do some research about it before making your claim of how the "majority" voted for it.

As I recall the options were:

1. Vote Yes for this constitution

2. Vote No, stay under military rule

If anyone has a different recollection, I'm open to clarification

Edited by GinBoy2

Thais have been saying there can't be another coup since I arrived but there have been three since then. Unless Thailand develops strong parliamentary democracy and significantly weakens the military, a coup will always be a possibility.

I believe that all Thais should be required to vote. If you don't vote, you pay a fine. With the issues that Thailand faces it is too important to have a 40% turnout decide changes to the constitution, laws against corruption and the formation of the next government. It may also contribute to the demise of vote buying by any party.

I am just curious to see how they are going to prevent the Shins from getting into parliment or part of the majority government? Now that is not an endorsement for any political party/need to say that before someone reads and interprets their own thought?

A lot of issues that a westerner may see as important may not translate into what Thais may want out of this. I am not Thai so I cannot answer that. As a westerner the areas of change important to me would be the judicial system, election of senators, representation at a government level, state to remove armed service personal from company boards, transparent social reform, to maintain some subsidies. I would also see benefit in a sell off of state's interests in many companies, capital gains tax on shares and property and a reduction in the interference the military has in Thai Politics.

The blue print for this would be the constitution; if the old one comes back with a tweaked section on government representation for the people, I think this will not be the last coup.

The Shins are a smokescreen for the elite to say this is why we are doing it this way. Again not an endorsement.

The General is a very charismatic man in Thai society and much loved as I understand. My gut feeling is that he wouldn't get the same approval in a country like, Australia or New Zealand.

• Like 1

Regardless of all of the nonsense being spouted, the thing that shocks and amazes me the most is the fact that The Nation has finally discovered some backbone and critical journalism. Whodda thought it would take a military coup sorry, Administrative, Technical Assumption of Responsibility for that minor miracle to happen

That was exactly what I thought, interesting to see if there will be any reaction from the military.

I wonder if the " wish we hadn't done that" is being echoed in some military quarters already.

Respectfully, I disagree that this poorly written commentary constitutes critical journalism in any way shape or form.

There is one key ingredient missing here... balance.

Not only does this pious, high handed, poorly constructed rhetoric fail to provide any semblance of balance or journalistic accuracy, it makes claim upon inflammatory claim without any attempt to substantiate.

Open ended contemptuous criticism and cheap unsubstantiated broad swipes are no substitute for well researched, balanced, facts based journalism.

Flouting the moral high ground with arrogant abuse and easy 'pot shots' does nothing to inform the public of the facts related to serious and sensitive issues of public interest.

The consistently poor grammar that plagues this particular 'newspaper' does little to support this style of professionally substandard content, and serves as a sore thumb juxtaposed against fine articles in 'The Nation' offering high quality, well constructed, journalistically savvy news. Offerings of this type damages 'The Nation's' brand, and trivialises the serious work of news dissemination.

I'm sure 'The Nation' employs hard working, highly talented staff.

I'm equally sure that in this era of rapid decline in newspaper sales, investment in staff development and support may well be in similar decline.

Certainly, anyone questioning the professional integrity of others may do well to check their own high and mighty professional product... presuming credibility counts for anything in this day and age.

This type of 'journalism' *cough* is more deserved of the equally credible 'blogosphere' as opposed to the pages behind a masthead purporting to circulate the high standards of serious news media.

Frankly, I would be embarrassed to publish work of this calibre.

Anyone see a 'By Line'? hmmm - didn't think so.

I thank the serious journalists of The Nation who rise above cheap, pompous, unprofessional creative writing.

Peace.

• Like 1

Look no further for the last coups of our ASEAN peers and see just much they have developed leapfrogging Thailand who is now becoming the sick man of Asia. Philippines last coup in 1989 and was the original sick man of Asia and now becoming the darling of investors. Indonesia last coup was in 1966 and was land of intense corruption, feudalism and cronyism, is now fast becoming a tiger economy. Even our neighbor Mynmar, last coup in 1962 is changing rapidly to embrace democracy and free economy. Little secret in all these countries but allow democracy to progress and flourish and allow people the intelligence to chose their destiny. We can't have a paternalistic culture of inviting the army to solve all our political impasse. Every intervention stunt our democratic growth and creat an outlook of instability for investors.

What's your agenda ?

"The Muslim brotherhood were in the process of turning Egypt in to a sharia al qaeda state".

What's wrong with that...let them wipe each other out!

If they want to live in a world without modern education, sanitation etc... let them, its is futile, to live like that is to be nothing more than a pack of savages crawling around on all fours and barking at each other like dogs, it wont be long before they have wiped each other out and good riddance!

My agenda is to go fishing every day, and every now and then I like to throw out a coloured lure to see who bites! and this time it was you! hook line and sinker!

Sure , I believe you......, millions wouldn't.

Another veiled attempt to demean the efforts of the Military...call it what you will..."coup plotter" and so on...what is the alternative...allow the separatists...to kill and injure 10 of thousands of people...split the country into separate states...and then war on continuously for year to come...

Do not try to equate this to N. Korea...you...whoever you are...are no patriot of Thailand...

Try giving the Military a chance to bring about a reconciliation among the various political groups...it sure as hell beats the alternative...

• Like 1

Interesting and open article and very true.

The old Thai way of coups being the alternative to elections needs to change.

What elected government , whoever they may be, wants to be constantly looking over their shoulder if some people with excessive influence don't like the way things are going and simply go the coup route. 19? times now, ridiculous!

Perhaps it will change after the change of the old Thai way of corruption (and vote buying) being the alternative to actual elections and true representation. Or not. Who knows? It seems to be part of the system of checks and balance here in the LOS. imho.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

The Nation is again living in fantasyland if they think there will not be another coup. The coup may have succeeded in getting the Shinawatraws out for good but the door is now open for the hard core elements of the PTP or whatever new party they will be calling themselves during the next election to take over. They cannot scape goat Taksin forever and it was clear he and yingluck were moderates in that party. The feeling up north is that "Isaan" was screwed again offering free movie tickets is an insult as if it will makes thinks worse. Anyone who thinks that region of Thailand will vote for a different party are delusional.

Unless they make the next election a non-populous vote and put in a electoral college system or similar it will be the same result.

the junta must remember that it will be judged on its actions

until now the judgement is excellent

carry on please

They will be remembered by their actions, like jailing opponents without charges or even a trial for instance!

The PTP government is being judged on its actions or inactions now and has been found sadly wanting so far, and that is before the accountants get stuck into the books.

• Like 1

Look no further for the last coups of our ASEAN peers and see just much they have developed leapfrogging Thailand who is now becoming the sick man of Asia. Philippines last coup in 1989 and was the original sick man of Asia and now becoming the darling of investors. Indonesia last coup was in 1966 and was land of intense corruption, feudalism and cronyism, is now fast becoming a tiger economy. Even our neighbor Mynmar, last coup in 1962 is changing rapidly to embrace democracy and free economy. Little secret in all these countries but allow democracy to progress and flourish and allow people the intelligence to chose their destiny. We can't have a paternalistic culture of inviting the army to solve all our political impasse. Every intervention stunt our democratic growth and creat an outlook of instability for investors.

And it is wise that you do not note the most obvious difference between Thailand and its neighbors.

cheesy.gif The last military takeover ? Good luck with that especially with the way Thai politicians behave.

Why not another coup if needed?

It is not the military that failed the Thai people, it is the Thai politicians with their greed, stupidity, and self-serving arrogance that failed the Thai people.

In comparison the military seems to be a excellent choice over the Thai politicians as excellent administrators so far.

"Democracy" Is for those who are capable of handling it, where they can show their interest in the people they govern, not their own overriding self-interest as their primary goal.

In the last 6 months or so, Thai politicians , of all political parties, have not shown they can handle Democracy, and frankly neither have the Thai people who voted for them.

So, as far as I am concerned, when the Thai voters show the maturity to handle a Democracy, and reject those Thai politicians who have so completely failed them (as demonstrated in the last 6 months) from all political parties; it is better to have the military in charge.

Even if that means another "coup".

I said it before, and I'll say it again; if those same self-serving politicians that served Thailand so badly for the last few years cause the same problems again, it's better they were removed from power by a coup than Thailand suffer through another period like the last 6 months.

The military has always been in charge!

Yawn - how is this news?

Didn't they say that after the last one, and before this one? Whether or not this is the last coup or the last bar ten will depend entirely on whether the army gets its share of the goodies from whatever excuse for a government eventuates from this mess.

Meaningless propaganda.

Edited by Thanet

can't see how... the majority of Thai's are vindictive and compromise is non-existent

what you actually need is a great (civilian) leader to emerge - a Mandala or a Ghandi or an Aung San Suu Kyi

Yes, wouldn't that be great? And then he or she dares to win an election without reporting to a certain yellow party and their military. And that's the beginning of the end then. Within a few months he or she would be painted as an amoral, greedy, overall disgusting enemy of all decent Thai people. His or her administration and Bangkok would be shut down. It would be determined that the majority stands behind an outrageously clean oppositionI and a savior in a green uniform (accompanied by some tanks) would "clean up" and detain our Thai Ghandi. I would call this process "Shinawatrisation" and it will work every time, even with a Ghandi.

Interesting and open article and very true.

The old Thai way of coups being the alternative to elections needs to change.

What elected government , whoever they may be, wants to me constantly looking over their shoulder if some people with excessive influence don't like the way things are going and simply go the coup route. 19? times now, ridiculous!

I don't think this is going to end well. This is only my opinion, you understand, but the only way to stop having coups is to change the basic, underlying, loyalty of every officer and career NCO in the Army. All the armed forces, not only the Army, must begin to see themselves as absolutely subservient to, and loyal to, the elected government, whomever they may be and whether or not their political views are distasteful. The military services cannot continue to see the government as the "jockey who rides the horse, but is not the owner of the horse." The armed forces have essentially been in a state of mutiny against the elected government, except for a brief, unfortunate period in 2010. If the government is being assaulted by unruly mobs of demonstrators, the military must see its duty as maintaining order under the existing government. Their duty is to protect and preserve the legal government from any extremist minority that wants to overthrow it. That's not going to happen in my lifetime (but then I'm pretty old, so maybe it'll happen withing three or four decades.

• Like 1