Metal-Detector / As seen on beach - Where/

moonseeker

Thank you. Wow, these things are not cheap......MS>

I bought mine in Europe last year and took it with me to Thailand. Saved 40% compared with Thai prices. Besides you cant get the same model here.

My detector is a Garrett AT Pro and its deep seeking , the head is waterproof. I only use it on the beaches. It's easy to use and gives a clear signal when it finds something of interest. It's good excercise walking around detecting so I really should do it more but little time these days.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bought a metal detector a few months ago.  

But I researched some of the government requirements for using it to look for gold in Thailand, and decided I don't want to take a chance that some local will rat me out and I'll show up on a ThaiVisa thread with the local head of police pointing at me. 

I still want to try it out on WWII sites, but I'm afraid they'll think I'm looking for gold...  So it sits in the closet.  

Seriously, research what you have to do to get legal before you start looking for gold in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

Thanks Impulse, I'm in full agreement and I realise that as a farang I can't get licensing to prospect for mineral deposits. I guess I'm pretty curious to see how accurate the US Geological information was back in the day. I might have to convince my brother in law to hold the detector, or at least have the licence in his name.

Cheers

I only do legal beach hunting here in Thailand, all I look for is coins and jewellery . Not easy to find among all the trash on the beaches here. But at least I have a decent detector now that will do the job . 

I only do legal beach hunting here in Thailand, all I look for is coins and jewellery . Not easy to find among all the trash on the beaches here. But at least I have a decent detector now that will do the job . 

you have a work permit that makes it "legal"? laugh.png

No if they really want to stop me from doing my hobby , then they should also ask for a work permit whenever I go jogging or fishing .  Or collecting seashells.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi we are selling our used  Garrett Sea Hunter MK II in Thailand. Hand carried from America.  Just listed with Thai Visa Classifieds 

We found gold and even retrieved a platinum diamond ring lost the day before for a very upset fiancé.  

Indeed not cheap but we made our money back.

It is great exercise and fun. The beaches are trashy but on tourist beaches lots and lots of people lose things. There is a learning curve, not so much with the detector but with learning waves and tides. That is for beach detecting of course. 

This one goes underwater to 60m. We did take it diving an it was great.  Selling as we upgraded to one that is unable to determine trash but the downfall is missing some targets. The Sea Hunter finds everything and the learning curve for use is about 10 min. Lots of You tube videos and information online.  

We have a FB page too with our finds..   Treasurebeachscouts  hahah but have a look if you are interested 

I use a Minelab GPX 3500, but I would not even bother to bring it to Thailand.  All gold belongs to the country, period.  You stand out like the proverbial lugging around decent gear and attract more bribe hunters than anything else.

Oz