Street dogs chasing me when I ride on my bicycle

Muggi1968

I need an advice...

I live in a nice thai area(High class) close to bkk.

All the thais her have a lot of dogs to protect their property.

When i bycicle around here the dogs get more and more aggressive.

and many times chase me on bicycle and try to bit me....

(when the thai famelies forget to close their gates)

What can i do ???

I have access to guns (glock 19) and poison so it would be easy for me to kill the dogs.

But I do not like that soloution......

I also consider pepper spray but I like amimals and really do not want to hurt them.

But if i have to choose,,,,,

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clip a cane to your crossbar. hold it when going down the soi, the sight of it will deter some, others that get too close...whack em !

Actually if you show a cane to my dog he will only get more aggressive, he will see it as a attack. But you do see a lot of Thais walking around with canes and stuff to keep dogs at bay.

• Like 2

No brainer. It's gotta be the Glock. Let off a few rounds from the bike.

Yeap great solution, the soi dogs will not be able to have a go at the OP when he is serving 3 years in lock up
Yep. There's nothing like sending a clear message that you are not to be messed with.
  • Like 1

Clip a cane to your crossbar. hold it when going down the soi, the sight of it will deter some, others that get too close...whack em !

Actually if you show a cane to my dog he will only get more aggressive, he will see it as a attack. But you do see a lot of Thais walking around with canes and stuff to keep dogs at bay.

Ohh Okay then, OP, Glock robblok's dog and cane the rest tongue.png

Please don't use poison, there was only a thread on here the other day where some <snip> wanted to poison dogs because they crapped on his grass or something.

I am not saying the cane would not work I doubt he would go for a confrontation.. just more barking and attention to ppl with canes.

But a glock.. i doubt he could dodge the bullets biggrin.png So that would be a solution.

• Like 1

Ohh Okay then, OP, Glock robblok's dog and cane the rest tongue.png

Please don't use poison, there was only a thread on here the other day where some <snip> wanted to poison dogs because they crapped on his grass or something.

I am not saying the cane would not work I doubt he would go for a confrontation.. just more barking and attention to ppl with canes.

But a glock.. i doubt he could dodge the bullets biggrin.png So that would be a solution.

I thought u were going to say he wears a vest !

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

I've posted this before - note our man Wayne's disclaimer regarding anything that looks like a pitbull ;)

My main concern would be any situation where they could get behind me - as with anything on the Net, caveat emptor.

• Like 1

You don't want to do anything to lose balance....wear something with side pockets like in a jacket......put a few handfulls of table salt in there...when they come at you throw the salt at their eyes....won't harm them and they will learn pretty quickly.......

Anything mechanical is too hard to pull off when you are constrained by movement or balance.......

When I had paper route in the 70's I'd be chased by dogs when riding my bike on weekends 4-5 am. I'd just shout at the top of my lungs "get out if here you &%?! Muts". That usually worked. Plan b was to throw a Sunday paper at them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wear something that has jacket like pockets in it.....carry a few handfulls of table salt in the pockets......grab some and aim at their faces it will get in their eyes and stop them - they'll learn soon enough.......won't injure them but should give them fear.....

With balance and limited movement/motion this should work....anything mechanical it too hard to operate and maintain speed, balance, and a straight line.....

It's also not toxic so no consequences that way or legally........

Carrying around a Glock whilst having a merry bicycle trip does not sound ideal. I would go for scythes wielded onto your bike's hubs personally, that way you can keep both arms on the handlebars. Safety first.

• Like 1

The Glock seems a little extreme.

Salt in the face seems like a good option. If it gets eyes, nose or mouth I think you are guaranteed a safe ride and a very distracted dog.

Best non-aggressive option I can offer is treat them. Had a similar problem with 2 dogs yapping and chasing. For the best and quickest result, stop the bike and toss the treat to them. They may not instantly realise what's happening 'cos Thai dogs are usually treated like sh*t.

But they'll soon get the idea.

You may find they still come after you on your bike, but happily not nastily. Hoping to get a bit more.

If you go for the stop option, try and stop wherever the dogs normally rest. They'll get used to that as well and usually wait for you.

If it works, everyone's a winner. No jail time, happy cyclist and happy dogs.

Treats I use are chicken flavoured, cost 99 baht from tesco and I break them in half.

post-195973-14037931632015_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Dogs will chase you if you show weakness, you should stop and throw some hotdogs on the floor, then the next time they won't see you as an enemy, stop and let them run up to you. I had the same with the same soi dog on my street, now we are quite good pals, I usually feed him left over food.. If you poison or shoot them I hope you have a lot of money to pay for when your in court

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2