Early Retirement visa issue.

Hello Chaps.

I plan on taking early retirement early next year, and would like to know what my visa options might be. I DO intend to 'work' in the family business when I 'retire', so a straight-forward Retirement Visa wont work for me.

My only option would be getting a Non-Imm 'O' visa before arriving in Thailand and subsequently extending it after every 90-days based upon Marriage.

My question is, how many times can I do a 90-days extension based on Marriage? Is there a limit? When would I HAVE to convert to a Retirement Visa, if so?

I am 57 years old, btw!

Thanks in advance!

A multiple entry non immigrant visa would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You have leave and re-enter the country every 90 days to get a new permit to stay (this is not an extension).

You can a apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can obtain a work permit and work with this extension. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 40k baht income.

You would just need to make reports (not an extension) of staying longer than 90 days to immigration.

• Like 1

A multiple entry non immigrant visa would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You have leave and re-enter the country every 90 days to get a new permit to stay (this is not an extension).

You can a apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can obtain a work permit and work with this extension. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 40k baht income.

You would just need to make reports (not an extension) of staying longer than 90 days to immigration.

Many thanks for your prompt response. So, do I need a Work Permit in order to help my wife in the running of the family business?

Edited by YangYaiEric

Many thanks for your prompt response. So, do I need a Work Permit in order to help my wife in the running of the family business?

It depends upon what you do. If it is just a matter of keeping the books and etc. It would not be a problem.

You cannot do anything in view of the public without a work permit.

It depends upon what you do. If it is just a matter of keeping the books and etc. It would not be a problem.

I think that should read 'you can not get away with doing anything in view of the public without a workpermit'. Because also to do the books etc. a workpermit is officially required.

I think that should read 'you can not get away with doing anything in view of the public without a workpermit'. Because also to do the books etc. a workpermit is officially required.

Ubonjoe advice is correct. Thai approach to these things is simple and basic: when one is known or seen doing certain things that constitute work, that constitutes a proof. What one does within his house, and keeps for himself, it is not matter for Immigration.

No need to always apply a western legal or theoretical way of thinking.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Right then. As a follow-on , as I plan on helping my wife run our Resort and Minimart/restaurant family business , which will be in view of the general public, how easy is it to convert a 'Marriage' visa into a Work visa?

Per above, you need a work permit an not another visa.

You apply for the work permit at the local labour office. And they will check the job against a list of jobs forbidden to foreigners, and how many Thais are working in the company.

• Like 1

Let me add that to legally employ you, your wife or you two together must form a company with 500,000 Bt. minimum capital and two more Thai employees.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1