Nokia 3650 With Blue Tooth As Gprs Modem For Notebook

greenwanderer108

Hi,

I'll be staying in Samut Songkhram for two months. Much of my obligations require me to be online via my notebook. It will be difficult to find the room with a direct land line for such a short contract so I need a wireless option.

We have a Nokia 3650 phone with bluetooth cabability as well as Infa red. Either we got to get a blue tooth dongle or regular USB cord that connect to the phone or some Infared dongle ? ? ? Which one is cheaper and more reliable that won't easily cut off the line ?

Do I understand correctly that using these cell phones as GPRS modems will allow me to use Inernet Explorer to surf the WEB as opposed to only WAP like the phones are made to surf. What are the steps again for setting up the computer to use IE via the phone as the modem

BTW, I'm using Microsoft Windows XP, and we have one prepaid DTAC sim and one monthly DTAC sim, which one will give us more value and reliability for GPRS for anywhere from 10-20 hours online per week?

Any suggestions or if anyone knows someone in Bangkok who is selling a used USB GPRS modem for cheap (1-2,000 baht), please point me to them via IM or email, etc.

Thanks in advance for addressing my technical inquiries.

Basically your phone acts as a wireless modem for your notebook, yeah, and your Nokia 3650 is already GPRS capable, so you don't need to buy a separate modem. See these instructions for setting up DTAC GPRS / bluetooth for use on your phone as a modem for your notebook.

Odds are that your notebook already has an IR port, so you may not need to buy a dongle. If it doesn't, then you might as well buy a bluetooth dongle (as the price is fairly similar to IR).

In terms of performance the limiting factor is the GPRS connection speed, not the IR or bluetooth speed so you won't notice any difference. The advantage of bluetooth is that you don't need to line up the IR ports of your phone/notebook (for example my phone is often sitting on a shelf or in my bag while I'm using it). With bluetooth it is also very easy to start using your phone as a storage device too - I often FTP files onto my phone for a quick back up or to take home to work on. Get yourself a big flash card for your phone too :o

And, if you are going to be surfing the web with GPRS, i recommend using the Opera browser. You can open pages in new windows, open pages without images or flash or java, and it saves all your visited pages in a cache so you can easily backtrack without waiting to re-download the webpage. it also has a built in RSS reader now which is very good. there are many more good features, but for a slow internet connection there is no better choice, in my opinion.

Thanks so much !! !

I am one happy camper now that I finally got the blue tooth dongle and everything to work with the phone and notebook. Had to play around with it for about an hour but eventually got it to work.

115 kbps now here in Bangkok. I wonder if it will be as good in Samut Songkhram??? Either way, the quickest I ever got on my dial up in this apartment crap was 38 kbps so this really great in contrast. Not to mention, so frigin cheap ! Since I'm using the monthly contract with DTAC, they got a one year deal--50 hours for 199 baht !

Can't complain about that !

Cheers,