Rats

AlexRRR

This topic is never far from the surface was having a cam to cam chat with a good friend in BKK when a rat walked into her store and casually jogged down to the back and out of site.

That reminded me of the time in a night club in Asoke when a Wopping rat the size of a cat ran across the room and between a guy and myself as we where chatting, then along the wall and out of site.

Not to mention that darting rat that spent part of the afternoon under a food cart at the end of my soi, and ive seen a few around food vendors over time, might be part of the reasons why i clearly state i dont eat on the streets to anyone and everyone.

I seen rats the size of small dogs in Bangkok. I was surprised how big those suckers can really get. They scurried into the sewer when I saw them....the idea of what is really hiding in the Bangkok sewer system is actually very frightening.

LOL.

My story,live on 2nd floor (not the 1st) as we all know it except the thais.

Had 4 families of rats in my condo,1 family residing in my air conditioning unit,2 behind my washer on balcony,3 in sink unit,4 had nibbled into my suitcase, maybe hoping for a free flight to uk lol.

Anyway in all 18 rats were trapped and baited, my deaf cat bless him actually caught 2 of em.

You see they all smell food and move in and most of the tenants/owners say they have the same issue on the same floor.

So do i give future non paying guests a tenancy agreement,contact the police concerning undesirable occupants,or simply go out and buy more poison and glue traps,which i see in shops in abundance along with drain/sink unblocking crystals,now i wonder why that is.biggrin.png

Edited by Brit_Doggie
  • Like 1

LOL.

My story,live on 2nd floor (not the 1st) as we all know it except the thais.

Had 4 families of rats in my condo,1 family residing in my air conditioning unit,2 behind my washer on balcony,3 in sink unit,4 had nibbled into my suitcase, maybe hoping for a free flight to uk lol.

Anyway in all 18 rats were trapped and baited, my deaf cat bless him actually caught 2 of em.

You see they all smell food and move in and most of the tenants/owners say they have the same issue on the same floor.

So do i give future non paying guests a tenancy agreement,contact the police concerning undesirable occupants,or simply go out and buy more poison and glue traps,which i see in shops in abundance along with drain/sink unblocking crystals,now i wonder why that

You could move to a better neighborhood wink.png

• Like 1

We use to see rats all the tine when we went to buy food from the Local market in Sahmut Prakan, They seem to accept them , my wife did until i told them of wheals disease..

bahhhh tell her about the black death insteadblink.png

LOL @ AlexRRR

But i dont mind the rats coming for a short stay,what i object to is them having free food and lodgings,.

Many of my friends who reside in other condos say that they have the same rat problem on the lower floors,so moving is out of the question.unless i go to a higher floor and this arises another problem,lifts out of order scenario, which i also am unwilling to confront.

Having said that there are many cats who use the same walkway and i am certain that this area is used as entry/mating point for them,so the rat issue shouldnt be there but it just a minute issue,now where did i put them glue traps .thumbsup.gif

Edited by Brit_Doggie

I was in Sirirat Hospital in BKK once and there was a small mouse running round the waiting room. No one seemed to pay it much attention.

One suspects the rats and mice are cleaner than some of the farangs I have had the misfortune to come across over the years

I seen rats the size of small dogs in Bangkok. I was surprised how big those suckers can really get. They scurried into the sewer when I saw them....the idea of what is really hiding in the Bangkok sewer system is actually very frightening.

yes I saw one toooooooo,sitting in a salon up in huay-kwan opposite some one floor wooden homes I saw what at first looked like a dog until it stopped looked at me as if I was the first farang it had seen,the wf.turned and looked at me she said have you seen a ghost you've gone white.

I have seen these rats for sale on the side of the roads up here in korat,and we did get one dared to venture into our drive one night our dog soon made it realize it had made a big mistake.the wf.told me they eat these in isaan.bah.gif

that mention of weals disease , and rats - I recall a scare quite a while ago:

A fella died after a spooked rat took flight - up his trouser leg.

Rat didn't bite, but, in it's panic simply pissed on the fellas leg. The parasites in the urine broached his skin, via a sore? and bloke was dead in a week or so.

Memory serves me, the bloke was playing golf at the time he copped the rat...

I have seen bigger rats in London than I did in Bangkok.

And rats are not much of a problem in some areas. If you live in a country area full of rice fields, they make a good breakfast. I won't dare to eat a rat from a city though.

I have seen bigger rats in London than I did in Bangkok.

And rats are not much of a problem in some areas. If you live in a country area full of rice fields, they make a good breakfast. I won't dare to eat a rat from a city though.

but the rats in Thailand do not sit in bars like soho.

I ate some rat last year. Tasted like snake. Well, not really, both tasted like a bunch of spicy chillis.

I like rats, though. Very resourceful and intelligent, just like humans. I know, yeah, they spread diseases, just like...

They get little love and respect, so I try to give 'em some. I'm serious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Bubonic plague: a skin infection that can be treated with antibiotics see a doctor right away, symptoms are red marks on skin that turn black, heaving breathing, aching, and throwing up blood. The Bubonic plague, or Black Death as it was called in the middle ages, wiped out a significant portion of Europe’s population.

Rat bite fever: most frequent in Asia, rat bite fever can take up to two weeks before symptoms develop like fevers and inflammation, penicillin is used for treatment.

Arena virus: transmitted through the air where feces and urine are, causes flu like symptoms but can turn into internal bleeding. If exposed see a doctor immediately.

Eosinophilic meningitis: this disease is also known as rat lungworm, it can also be transmitted through eating uncooked food like fish, snails, frogs, or freshwater prawns. Another way it can be transmitted is through contaminated foods such as lettuce. The symptoms are headache, neck pain, and vision problems. It is treatable, but you should see a doctor right away.

Hanta virus: airborne virus, symptoms do not occur very quickly once they happen, they are similar to the flu and last about a week. If still sick heavy breathing can occur and you should be taken to a hospital because it can be fatal.

Weil’s disease: transmitted through rat urine, it is often on contaminated food that people end up eating, shows flu like symptoms but can also cause jaundice and throwing up, is best to see a doctor right away.

Typhoid: transmitted through feces and urine either airborne or from something contaminated, people will get high fevers, sweat profusely, diarrhea and rash of red spots. Treated with antibiotics, so see a doctor.

Trichinosis: carried by rats, but they get it from pigs, it is a worm that can get inside of your intestines. Nausea, diarrhea, heartburn. Headache and chills are some of the symptoms best to go to a doctor right away.

Murine Typhus: can be transmitted from the lice that live on rats, this is treatable with antibiotics and the symptoms resemble those of the measles or rubella.

• Bubonic plague: a skin infection that can be treated with antibiotics see a doctor right away, symptoms are red marks on skin that turn black, heaving breathing, aching, and throwing up blood. The Bubonic plague, or Black Death as it was called in the middle ages, wiped out a significant portion of Europe’s population.
  • Rat bite fever: most frequent in Asia, rat bite fever can take up to two weeks before symptoms develop like fevers and inflammation, penicillin is used for treatment.
  • Arena virus: transmitted through the air where feces and urine are, causes flu like symptoms but can turn into internal bleeding. If exposed see a doctor immediately.
  • Eosinophilic meningitis: this disease is also known as rat lungworm, it can also be transmitted through eating uncooked food like fish, snails, frogs, or freshwater prawns. Another way it can be transmitted is through contaminated foods such as lettuce. The symptoms are headache, neck pain, and vision problems. It is treatable, but you should see a doctor right away.
  • Hanta virus: airborne virus, symptoms do not occur very quickly once they happen, they are similar to the flu and last about a week. If still sick heavy breathing can occur and you should be taken to a hospital because it can be fatal.
  • Weil’s disease: transmitted through rat urine, it is often on contaminated food that people end up eating, shows flu like symptoms but can also cause jaundice and throwing up, is best to see a doctor right away.
  • Typhoid: transmitted through feces and urine either airborne or from something contaminated, people will get high fevers, sweat profusely, diarrhea and rash of red spots. Treated with antibiotics, so see a doctor.
  • Trichinosis: carried by rats, but they get it from pigs, it is a worm that can get inside of your intestines. Nausea, diarrhea, heartburn. Headache and chills are some of the symptoms best to go to a doctor right away.
  • Murine Typhus: can be transmitted from the lice that live on rats, this is treatable with antibiotics and the symptoms resemble those of the measles or rubella.

Gosh, seems like a short list. Never knew or heard of anyone getting any of these, however. But keep wearing your face mask, I guess.

• Rat bite fever: most frequent in Asia, rat bite fever can take up to two weeks before symptoms develop like fevers and inflammation, penicillin is used for treatment.
  • Arena virus: transmitted through the air where feces and urine are, causes flu like symptoms but can turn into internal bleeding. If exposed see a doctor immediately.
  • Eosinophilic meningitis: this disease is also known as rat lungworm, it can also be transmitted through eating uncooked food like fish, snails, frogs, or freshwater prawns. Another way it can be transmitted is through contaminated foods such as lettuce. The symptoms are headache, neck pain, and vision problems. It is treatable, but you should see a doctor right away.
  • Hanta virus: airborne virus, symptoms do not occur very quickly once they happen, they are similar to the flu and last about a week. If still sick heavy breathing can occur and you should be taken to a hospital because it can be fatal.
  • Weil’s disease: transmitted through rat urine, it is often on contaminated food that people end up eating, shows flu like symptoms but can also cause jaundice and throwing up, is best to see a doctor right away.
  • Typhoid: transmitted through feces and urine either airborne or from something contaminated, people will get high fevers, sweat profusely, diarrhea and rash of red spots. Treated with antibiotics, so see a doctor.
  • Trichinosis: carried by rats, but they get it from pigs, it is a worm that can get inside of your intestines. Nausea, diarrhea, heartburn. Headache and chills are some of the symptoms best to go to a doctor right away.
  • Murine Typhus: can be transmitted from the lice that live on rats, this is treatable with antibiotics and the symptoms resemble those of the measles or rubella.

Gosh, seems like a short list. Never knew or heard of anyone getting any of these, however. But keep wearing your face mask, I guess.

An estimated 21 million cases of typhoid fever and 200,000 deaths occur worldwide.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/typhoid_fever/technical.html