Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

It's at the discretion of the immigration officer, and I would think he could see you are a tourist, a misplaced bank note on your passport might help. You could also try going to another country every other trip and then I don't think you would have a problem, after all if it seems that you are a true tourist, you should be okay.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just being told by an oil and gas mate of mine, that a 3rd person, also an oil and gas guy, coming back from rotation (eg not an out in) has just been denied entry via air travel.

I am told he had to arrange his own flight out again.. But dont know how he managed to solve the airside and checking in again issues..

I dont know the denied guy personally, so until more evidence its merely a rumor, but I do know the mutual friend well and he is 100% this has happened in the last couple of days at Swampy.

I thought the 12th was the date for airports, hopefully its a rumour

I went to Chiang Mai immigration this morning and was told there is, and will be, no change in the handling of tourist or multiple tourist visas. Mae Sai border trips are ok and not considered visa runs, and extension requests are welcome. A national newspaper and reports on this forum disagree, but I'll take the work of officials myself.

Thanks, but this sharply contradicts what another TV member wrote and he was also in contact with the immigration officers. The difference is that he contacted an immigration office at a border. Why would Chiang Mai Immigration get internal memos from Bangkok about issues that only matter for border checkpoints? And why should I trust one of these reports more than the other. I understand that you trust what you heard, but from my point of view there is just more confusion.

They are next to the airport that receives flights from China, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Korea, Laos, Macau, Taiwan.

I agree there is most likely an inconsistency in the system, but in proportion the 'no issue' locations currently vastly outnumber the issue ones.

• Like 1

This was on Siam legal Home page, apologies if posted already

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days.

According to a spokesman for the Thai Immigration Bureau, the new regulation was created to encourage foreigners to secure the proper visas in advance from a Royal Thai Embassy prior to their arrival. The new rule will also limit the amount of back-to-back visa runs being made by foreigners to extend their stay.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival. Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival. The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped

• Like 2

I went to Chiang Mai immigration this morning and was told there is, and will be, no change in the handling of tourist or multiple tourist visas. Mae Sai border trips are ok and not considered visa runs, and extension requests are welcome. A national newspaper and reports on this forum disagree, but I'll take the work of officials myself.

Thanks, but this sharply contradicts what another TV member wrote and he was also in contact with the immigration officers. The difference is that he contacted an immigration office at a border. Why would Chiang Mai Immigration get internal memos from Bangkok about issues that only matter for border checkpoints? And why should I trust one of these reports more than the other. I understand that you trust what you heard, but from my point of view there is just more confusion.

They are next to the airport that receives flights from China, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Korea, Laos, Macau, Taiwan.

I agree there is most likely an inconsistency in the system, but in proportion the 'no issue' locations currently vastly outnumber the issue ones.

I think everyone should check it out with their local immigration office, rather than trusting secondhand reports, including mine.

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival Visa exempt Entry, which was valid for 30 days.

According to a spokesman for the Thai Immigration Bureau, the new regulation was created to encourage foreigners to secure the proper visas in advance from a Royal Thai Embassy prior to their arrival. The new rule will also limit the amount of back-to-back visa runs being made by foreigners to extend their stay.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival Visa exempt entry has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival.Visa exempt entry Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival.Visa exempt entry The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped

Jeez siam legal.. You would really think that a legal advice outlet could get it right.

Also, is this confirmed ?? I hadnt heard that it was down to 15 days at land borders again ??

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival Visa exempt Entry, which was valid for 30 days.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival Visa exempt entry has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival.Visa exempt entry Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival.Visa exempt entry The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped

Jeez siam legal.. You would really think that a legal advice outlet could get it right.

Also, is this confirmed ?? I hadnt heard that it was down to 15 days at land borders again ??

No, and it won't be confirmed as well because it is not true.

Just &lt;deleted&gt; from somebody writing about something he knows nothing about, but as a lawyer from a big company has to write about.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival. Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival. The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped

Pretty shoddy actually , I'd say some would be happy with 15 days rather than a total knock back.

Seems like we are all winding each other up into a frenzy and no one really knows what is going to happen until they arrive at the immigration counter. What are the figures for people getting Turned away so far , a few hundred at the land border over the last month and allegedly 1 at the airport

I think everyone should check it out with their local immigration office, rather than trusting secondhand reports, including mine.

The problem is though.. your local immigrations interpretation may not be the same as the man behind the desk when you next enter the country !!

They need total clarity in the rules.. And consistent application of them..

• Like 1

Just being told by an oil and gas mate of mine, that a 3rd person, also an oil and gas guy, coming back from rotation (eg not an out in) has just been denied entry via air travel.

I am told he had to arrange his own flight out again.. But dont know how he managed to solve the airside and checking in again issues..

I dont know the denied guy personally, so until more evidence its merely a rumor, but I do know the mutual friend well and he is 100% this has happened in the last couple of days at Swampy.

You can often check in airside at the 'transfer desk', of course this doesn't account for any checked in luggage.

Pretty shoddy actually , I'd say some would be happy with 15 days rather than a total knock back.

Seems like we are all winding each other up into a frenzy and no one really knows what is going to happen until they arrive at the immigration counter. What are the figures for people getting Turned away so far , a few hundred at the land border over the last month and allegedly 1 at the airport

The above 'update' clearly refers to the time a few years ago when visa exempt entries by land were originally changed from 30 days to 15 while airport visa exempt entries were not affected.

Late last year people from G7 countries had their number of days increased from the 15 days mentioned on the old Siam Legal page above to 30 days.

It's just very old information by the looks of it.

The crackdown on border runs will be short lived because too many people will be losing big baht on a lucrative illegal business.

Give these shady operators a few weeks at most to pay off the right people and the visa runs will resume as of they never had stopped.

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

Have I understood this correctly?? Thai embassy abroad are issuing tourist-VISAS like there is no tomorrow and debit money for it as well. And than people are being denied entry to Thailand. I mean, can not the thai embassy see the exact same thing as the immigration-personal at the border to Thailand in respective passport they are stamping??????

Can somebody enlighten me plse...

Glegolo

30 euro, 30 euro , 30 euro, 30 euro....millions of them....

Than, good luck with that...

They milk farangs money without letting farangs touching Thai soil.

Pretty amrt of them isn,t it?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The crackdown on border runs will be short lived because too many people will be losing big baht on a lucrative illegal business.

Give these shady operators a few weeks at most to pay off the right people and the visa runs will resume as of they never had stopped.

rubbish.

So very glad to see this coming into effect. Now maybe all these sots trying to cheat the system will finally come into line with reality.

I suspect this attitude is coming from the retirement community, who think their visas are safe.

Yes, from a old bitter fart on his retirement visa. Or...from someone who is jealous to peoples which can't effort to stay more then 2 weeks in a year in Thailand.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

But don't they have a history for each people in the inmigration computers ?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but (from what the Visa-Issuing-Supervisor woman told me at the Thai Embassy (in Vientiane), they are NOT interested in the history (on their computer).

they are ONLY checking your passport.

judging from the computer screens I sometimes see behind their desk at immigration,, it looks like they would have to "key in" several keyboard commands to reach a screen where it will display a complete list of all your entries to Thailand.

so I am guessing this is a huge time-wasting procedure for them,, (considering they would have to do it for every single person in the immigration line)... hundreds/thousands per day.

This is the one area where you can really count on Thailand.... you can count on them 100% to be totally incompetent when it comes to tracking your moves without a hard copy of document in front of their face. Didn't pay your taxes.... you're fine. Didn't pay that speeding ticket..... no problem. Clean, new passport...... no problems whatsoever, you have effectively never been to Thailand in their minds.

• Like 1

Thailand's tourist industry survived long before the Russians and other European visa runners arrived and frankly the cheapskate end of the market pay no taxes.

The military government are doing a superb job in cleaning up the corruption that has existed for many years.

I imagine there will be a lot of bars and other business's on the market soon.

• Like 1

I finish work in Malaysia in November and am planning to get 90 day O followed by 1 year extension on the grounds I have custody of my kids in Thailand., Is there anyway I can do this a quick way now ? Obviously I cannot spend a month or so in Thailand now as I'm working.

In the period between now and when i finish my contract I plan to go to Thailand twice , next week and mid September. I was counting up the days spent in Thailand this year and I have 6 entry /exits totaling to just under 30 days in country. I have Malaysian residency , which I think helps

I've got the worlds supply of documents to take with me next week but I don't like this feeling of being at the mercy of a Immigration official. I'm actually not looking forward to going through the third degree and is spoiling the anticipation of a break with my Family .The rules were tightened up supposedly to prevent illegal workers and undesirables entering Thailand? , but there doesn't appear to be any clear agenda.

Even people traveling to Thailand a couple of times a year are going to have a rethink and i doubt they'll be using Thailand as their Hub to SE Asia

I finish work in Malaysia in November and am planning to get 90 day O followed by 1 year extension on the grounds I have custody of my kids in Thailand., Is there anyway I can do this a quick way now ? Obviously I cannot spend a month or so in Thailand now as I'm working.

In the period between now and when i finish my contract I plan to go to Thailand twice , next week and mid September. I was counting up the days spent in Thailand this year and I have 6 entry /exits totaling to just under 30 days in country. I have Malaysian residency , which I think helps

I've got the worlds supply of documents to take with me next week but I don't like this feeling of being at the mercy of a Immigration official. I'm actually not looking forward to going through the third degree and is spoiling the anticipation of a break with my Family .The rules were tightened up supposedly to prevent illegal workers and undesirables entering Thailand? , but there doesn't appear to be any clear agenda.

Even people traveling to Thailand a couple of times a year are going to have a rethink and i doubt they'll be using Thailand as their Hub to SE Asia

I don't think you will have any problem because you don't have any back-to-back entry, but if that gives you peace of mind get the non-O or Tourist visa before going.