Tot Adsl Chiang Mai

likite

I have just moved house to Sankampang Chiang Mai and had a new telephone line installed. I had Tot goldcyber at my previuos house and it worked reasonably well - for Thailand.

I've had goldcyber installed on the new line, but this new line, how can I say - is patheticly slow. Checking the bandwith here on Thai visa gives on average around 50kbs bandwidth.

Today I've had the technician from Tot here to check. All he did was perform some speed checks from a number of Thai sites which gave fantastic results and confirmed the slow slow speed test with Thai visa. The difference could not be wider.

He called Tot helpline and whilst I was speaking to them he took himself out the door. The helpline started to tell me my international speed will be slow compared to speeds in Thailand. I agreed but in my previous house the speeds were maybe 3 to 4 times faster than what I have now. I download now at maybe 7 kbs as opposed to maybe 20 to 25kbs on the other line. When I told the helpline this she put me on hold and never came back on line to me - great.

I've rang tot in Chiang Mai again but I do not hold out much hope they will do anything more.

Naturally I don't want to pay 1,000 baht for what I might get cheaper from dial up etc, so I wonder does any Thai visa member have any suggestions re another service or how the bandwith can be improved?

Any suiggestions would appreciated as at the moment this a real pain in the backside

Welcome to Thailand...

The cheap adsl packages (less then 1500B/month for 256/128 or 2500 for 512/256) are only profitable for the ISP's with very high contention (sharing) ratio's...

This means that "possibly" a lot of people are sharing one line of international bandwidth. With possibly I mean, that you can be very lucky in an area with not to much subscribers, or unlucky in another very busy area of town...

I have a friend who has two places in the Pattaya area, one in central Pattaya, the other all the way at the end of Jomtien. In his Jomtien place he is happily downloading at 90kBps, while at his Pattaya location he can be happy to get over 20kBps (internationally, local Thai downloads are exactly at the same speeds in both locations)...

Both locations exactly the same package (TOT goldcyber 1024/256). Has been like this for months despite numerous complaints. Others on the same TOT package and in the same location get the same speeds...

The bad news is that TT&T in Chiang Mai are the same, if not worse. The contention ratio means you are in a lottery - just like Monty says, some places have not filled the contention ratios, so you get a larger slice of the bandwidth - in others everyone is on the same package as yourself, so you are doomed to a crawl until further...

The bad news is that TT&T in Chiang Mai are the same, if not worse. The contention ratio means you are in a lottery - just like Monty says, some places have not filled the contention ratios, so you get a larger slice of the bandwidth - in others everyone is on the same package as yourself, so you are doomed to a crawl until further...

I wonder will I be better simply using dial up in that case. As I see no reason in spending 1000baht a month on a crap bandwith.

Having said that I would pay a little more if I could get a reasonable bandwith speed. But the question is what's available and thats the reason for this post.

Thanks in advance.