UPDATE on Spousal Visa and the new rules

I don't see the relevance of this in terms of a Spouse/Marriage Visa which is renewed annually.

The rules as I know them are that Baht 400,000 is required in a bank account in the applicant's name OR Baht 40,000 per month income, plus the marriage certificate, photos of the property, plans of the property, etc., and then you await the process which may take quite a while before you have the visa extension stamp. I have a retirement visa so correct me if I'm wrong.

But, the Thai embassy in Canberra has informed a mate who is settling in Thailand later this year that the Spouse/Marriage visa no longer requires the Baht 400,000 and that the application form is much simpler and takes only three days to process. I have seen nothing in support of this and I wonder what the interpretation will be (if it is confirmed) at the various immigration offices and Chiangmai in particular.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I am sure that UbonJoe can clarify this.

The visa required is a Non Imm- O, when based on marriage and the marriage certificate is presented, the visa is easily obtained.

Later, in Thailand and before the visa expires, you apply for an Extension based on Marriage.

Then the 400Kb, the photos, the blue book, the ID card copies, independent witnesses etc are required.

Initially you get a 30 day stamp whilst all paperwork is "sent to head office", within 30 days, when approved, you visit Imm again for a stamp for the balance of 11 months.

The retirement extension is easier to get but requires 800Kb and you CANNOT have a WP.

Like you, I also go with the retirement extension as it's easier and done on the spot for a year if all your paperwork is in order.

People do exaggerate what is needed.

Most of what you wrote is correct.

The witnesses are not needed at all offices. Some offices do that instead of doing a home visit.

It is 400k baht for 2 months or an income of 40k baht income.

You get an under consideration stamp with a report back date either 30 days from the date you apply or from your permit to stay date (it varies by region). The application is sent to the regional headquarters for the part of the country where you live. You will get a one year extension of stay stamp after approval because the 30 days is not an extension.

I have done 6 extensions (number 7 in a couple of weeks) of stay based upon marriage and have found them not that hard to get. A few extra documents, 4 photos and one additional trip to immigration is certainly not worth the extra financial proof needed to get an extension for retirement.

Getting an extension of stay based upon marriage does allow you to get a work permit and work which retirement does not allow.

It is certainly not as straightforward as you make out, experience is a wonderful thing but it can distort perspective.

Due to the passport fiasco I had to make an application a couple of weeks ago and it was a most unpleasant experience. If an offices requires witnesses, as mine did, not a lot you can do, not like you can go somewhere else. As much as you try to prepare there is always something, many said google maps were ok, not so, had to make a drawing. Every so often the IO hands you something else to copy, 15 minutes each time in the photocopy queue. Overall about 3 hours.

I was 2600 baht for income letter and 1900 baht for the application, with witness gifts and re-entry permit overall cost will be over 10,000 baht. In the UK it is £125 plus postage.

Unless something comes up to make me reconsider,next year I shall be reverting to a multi Non O retirement visa. Before anyone says it is an OA visa, I can get a Non O with a state pension.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me no witnesses ever. Just a letter from local police for the first one.

Same copies, photos and that includes the map. Income affidavit cost me1550 baht for this years extension but it would be the same for retirement.

You will not get a multiple entry non-o unless you are 65 or over in the UK unless you get it based upon marriage.

Same copies, photos and that includes the map. Income affidavit cost me1550 baht for this years extension but it would be the same for retirement.

You will not get a multiple entry non-o unless you are 65 or over in the UK unless you get it based upon marriage.

Obviously a lot easier fro some than others.

In the UK you cannot get the state pension without being over 65.

Thank you eeworldwide OP for the clear info, just what I have confirmed myself at Chiang Mai immigration and mentioned on a few topics here. I guess people can look at my previous posts.

There is no change in tourist visas apart from overstay.

While there's no official Thailand website on visa details journalist disinformation is easy and fear is more profitable than them checking with local immigration.

People are scared by officers having power of their own interpretation but given the number of borders this is a very rare situation and phone calls to one's local immigration who advised in the first place should fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I normally do the same..30 day visa and then marriage extension for 60 days. My wife and I flew to KL yesterday and immigration official told my wife that if I tried to re-enter on a 30 day tourist visa that I would likely be rejected. We were heading to the thai embassy for a non 0 anyway. So it still seems that each immigration officer has his or her own interpretation of the law.

Not saying your information was wrong.

Just that using the wrong terminology confuses the issue.

Visa. Visa on Arrival. Visa Exempt Entry. Extension of Stay.

All totally different things.

I don't suppose someone has reliable knowledge of how many visa exempt entries are allowed per year? I do not mean back to back. I travel out of Thailand for work for 28 days,then return on visa exempt 30 day stamp for 28 days. This has been happening since October last year soI have had 5 of these entries so far (Oct, Dec, Feb, Apr and June). I am due back in to Bangkok for the next 28 day leave on Tuesday. Worried I am gonna get stopped and sent back.

Anyone have any idea?

There will be no annual limit on the number of entries you can do.

The will be looking for out/in entries. Meaning just leaving for no other reason than re-entering to get another 30 day entry. Your 28 day rotation does NOT fall under that.. You should not have a problem entering. Perhaps an extra question or two is all,

I added the purple NOT because I am sure its omission was little slip of the keyboard by the vastly overworked (these days) ubonjoe

Only want to mention that apalink might wanna have his departing flight reservations in hand.

'nuff said

~

I would say that most answers coming from people who are not enforcing the border checks (immigration officer in a city, consulate, etc.) are to be taken with a grain of salt. The rules are vague and open to interpretation. Face culture requires them to give an answer to a question even if they don't really know what to say. Their word is worth nothing anyway facing an angry border immigration officer with a hangover.

The rules are clear, 60 days x 3 for example, have to be used in quick succession or they expire; must not overstay. My immigration source is also a friend and has worked there longer than I have been in Thailand which is almost as long as this website has existed. There is discretion, for example asking to show the 20k, and mistakes can be corrected by phoning another perhaps local to home immigration officer from the airport worst case scenario.

I would say that most answers coming from people who are not enforcing the border checks (immigration officer in a city, consulate, etc.) are to be taken with a grain of salt. The rules are vague and open to interpretation. Face culture requires them to give an answer to a question even if they don't really know what to say. Their word is worth nothing anyway facing an angry border immigration officer with a hangover.

The rules are clear, 60 days x 3 for example, have to be used in quick succession or they expire; must not overstay. My immigration source is also a friend and has worked there longer than I have been in Thailand which is almost as long as this website has existed. There is discretion, for example asking to show the 20k, and mistakes can be corrected by phoning another perhaps local to home immigration officer from the airport worst case scenario.

Chiang Mai is a border, receiving flights from over half a dozen north Asian countries.

Here is a post from yesterday about someone getting a Non-O in London. It seems very simple and he did not show any income proof. Is this a fluke?

"I have just received my passport back from the Thai Embassy in London, complete with multiple entry Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai. Just to confrim I did not need to show proof of any income to get this, just a copy of my Thai wedding certificate and copies of wifes Thai ID card and passport all of which were signed by her. The application took just 48 hours to process, cost £135 which included special delivery return, but can only be paid for by cash or postal order.

It appears that the information on the Embassy Website is misleading, i checked before submitting the application, both with the Embassy and a couple of the consulates and was told you only needed to show proof of income if applying for a non-immigrant o visa if you intend to get married in Thailand and apply for a marriage visa.

Hope this clears up a lot of the confusion regarding non immigrant visas based on marriage to a Thai."

I was in the London Embassy on Thursday 17th. I was not asked to provide proof of funds, nor did I offer any for my application for a Non O multiple entry visa, just a copy of the wife's passport and our marriage certificate. I have many years of multiple entry visas with differing requests for documentation in support my applications. Sydney differs from Canberra is an example. I find it is always best to phone first to get the current requirements. Interestingly, there is usually a rather long wait and often it is standing room only in London, on this occasion I was in and out in under 5 minutes with only 2 applicants in front of me. Happy days.

Edited by chrisrazz

Well hopefully they make the marriage extension of stay less cumbersome. The outside and inside house pictures, the bank statements, letters, balance updates, the rental contract + house registration of the landlord + ID card of the landlord + non-related thai witness + ID card of witness + childrens birth certificates etc etc.

Supposing your landlord refuses to give you a copy of their ID card or house registration. Then what do you do?

Stop paying them rent ??

I was once caught in a real shit fight, where I rented a house, that had never received it's tabien baan only the building permit, owned by a farang in his ex wife's name.. Sort that mess out !!!

Chiang Mai is a border, receiving flights from over half a dozen north Asian countries.

Yes but there is still a works of difference from the visa issue officers possible understanding and the man with the stamp at the airport.. The inconsistency we are seeing all around the country is a perfect example.

The only inconsistency I currently trust is Thai visa witnessing the Malaysia border. This seems to me influenced by Phuket, and there have been rather a lot of issues like land,beach,taxis there recently.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I normally do the same..30 day visa and then marriage extension for 60 days. My wife and I flew to KL yesterday and immigration official told my wife that if I tried to re-enter on a 30 day tourist visa that I would likely be rejected. We were heading to the thai embassy for a non 0 anyway. So it still seems that each immigration officer has his or her own interpretation of the law.

You mean 30 days visa exemption. Not tourist visa.

• Like 1

I arrived on a 30 day visa exempt expecting to stay for 21 days but due to circumstances beyond my control I can't return to work. I went to the immigration yesterday to get a 60 day extension based on marriage which they gave me. I asked the immigration official what my options were if at the end of the extension I still wanted to stay in Thailand. He told me to do exactly what the op was told "leave and come back on a new 30 day exempt".

THANK YOU!!!!!

Simples!!

This sounds rather vague and it won't be much use telling them at the border that you got it from the horse's mouth when they deny you entry as a visa runner. I would think that 12 month extensions of stay based on marriage would be a safer strategy.

You will not get a multiple entry non-o unless you are 65 or over in the UK unless you get it based upon marriage,

or have Thai dependence IN Thailand.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text. do not change quoted text

This sounds rather vague and it won't be much use telling them at the border that you got it from the horse's mouth when they deny you entry as a visa runner. I would think that 12 month extensions of stay based on marriage would be a safer strategy.

I think it highly unlikely that they will deny me entry to see my family when I have a spousal visa, which REQUIRES me to leave the country and re-enter. I have been assured that I can re-enter with this extension.

But perhaps what they told me at immigration is WRONG because they know that people on the Thai Visa forum are all bastions of wisdom and knowledge when it comes to the information about visas and entry and re-entry.

Or even better - perhaps there are reasons that I don't have 12 month extension of stay, based on marriage - that I haven't felt the need to share here.

I think it highly unlikely that they will deny me entry to see my family when I have a spousal visa, which REQUIRES me to leave the country and re-enter. I have been assured that I can re-enter with this extension.

But perhaps what they told me at immigration is WRONG because they know that people on the Thai Visa forum are all bastions of wisdom and knowledge when it comes to the information about visas and entry and re-entry.

Or even better - perhaps there are reasons that I don't have 12 month extension of stay, based on marriage - that I haven't felt the need to share here.

You do not have a visa of any kind much less a spousal visa. You got a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife of a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You do not have a visa of any kind much less a spousal visa. You got a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife of a 30 day visa exempt entry.

True, that! In which case I can never be classified as a visa runner, since I don't have a visa.

...quick interjection of a question here: for the marriage visa. Does one need the original tabian baan or a copy is sufficient?

1000 Cheers! ...Mr. Bamboozled

A copy will be accepted for a 60 day extension.

If it was a one year extension and you were living in the house where the book was for you would need the original.

It is also possible to get a print out of the household registry at an Amphoe that will be accepted.

Sorry Ubonjoe, this would be for a first time marriage visa and I'm referring to the tabian baan of my lady-friend (who would at that point be my wife). I am not registered in any tabian baan and don't think I need to be to get the visa, correct? I am probably misunderstanding something about your reply. My girl has a copy of the tabian baan but the original is with her parents. From reading the posts, I recall that it is not necessary for her to be living in the house from where the tabian baan originates.

Re-reading your post, if one needs the original for an extension of 1-year, it makes sense that the original would be needed for a first time visa. But, if someone is in London, for example, they would have carried this original tabian baan all the way to London? That seems unlikely, too. My apologies if these specifics have been addressed (as they surely have) in other posts but sifting through it all is next to impossible.

Cheers 1001!

Sorry Ubonjoe, this would be for a first time marriage visa and I'm referring to the tabian baan of my lady-friend (who would at that point be my wife). I am not registered in any tabian baan and don't think I need to be to get the visa, correct? I am probably misunderstanding something about your reply. My girl has a copy of the tabian baan but the original is with her parents. From reading the posts, I recall that it is not necessary for her to be living in the house from where the tabian baan originates.

Re-reading your post, if one needs the original for an extension of 1-year, it makes sense that the original would be needed for a first time visa. But, if someone is in London, for example, they would have carried this original tabian baan all the way to London? That seems unlikely, too. My apologies if these specifics have been addressed (as they surely have) in other posts but sifting through it all is next to impossible.

Cheers 1001!

A copy of her house book would be all that is needed for a visa. The copies would need to be signed and dated.

You cannot be in a blue house book it will away be hers that will be needed.

• Like 1

The problem with reporting (and relying upon) what one bloke told you in the Immigration office is that it is extremely unlikely that this same bloke will be the one stamping you in when the time comes so my advice is take all such information with a pinch of salt and make sure that you enter on the appropriate visa for your circumstances and if your circumstances don't fit a particular visa then change them so that they do.

I don't see the relevance of this in terms of a Spouse/Marriage Visa which is renewed annually.

The rules as I know them are that Baht 400,000 is required in a bank account in the applicant's name OR Baht 40,000 per month income, plus the marriage certificate, photos of the property, plans of the property, etc., and then you await the process which may take quite a while before you have the visa extension stamp. I have a retirement visa so correct me if I'm wrong.

But, the Thai embassy in Canberra has informed a mate who is settling in Thailand later this year that the Spouse/Marriage visa no longer requires the Baht 400,000 and that the application form is much simpler and takes only three days to process. I have seen nothing in support of this and I wonder what the interpretation will be (if it is confirmed) at the various immigration offices and Chiangmai in particular.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I am sure that UbonJoe can clarify this.

The visa required is a Non Imm- O, when based on marriage and the marriage certificate is presented, the visa is easily obtained.

Later, in Thailand and before the visa expires, you apply for an Extension based on Marriage.

Then the 400Kb, the photos, the blue book, the ID card copies, independent witnesses etc are required.

Initially you get a 30 day stamp whilst all paperwork is "sent to head office", within 30 days, when approved, you visit Imm again for a stamp for the balance of 11 months.

The retirement extension is easier to get but requires 800Kb and you CANNOT have a WP.

Like you, I also go with the retirement extension as it's easier and done on the spot for a year if all your paperwork is in order.

Reference the Retirement Extension, which I have been getting for eight plus years. You either have to have the 800,000 or 65,000 a month in provable income, which I have. Being a US Citizen each year I go to the Embassy and get a letter from notorized by the Enbassy stating my fixed monthly income of over the 65,000. The 800K and monthly is a and/or There is a charge for US Embassy to Nootorize the letter. By the way the letter is a form they give you, you fill-oit, pay the fee the sign infront of the Embassy Officer. The only hard part is the stupit way they do the processing at Immigration. You will need a Mulitply Re-entry Permit is you travel like I do in my consulting business. Have fun, Jerry

...quick interjection of a question here: for the marriage visa. Does one need the original tabian baan or a copy is sufficient?

When I went for the one year extension they never asked to look at my wifes Tabian Baan, her ID or the marriage certificate, just accepted the copies.

They only asked to look at my Tabian Baan.

When I went for the one year extension they never asked to look at my wifes Tabian Baan, her ID or the marriage certificate, just accepted the copies.

They only asked to look at my Tabian Baan.

True, the only thing they wanted to see that was original was the Bank book.

(But we always took all the other originals with us (just in case))

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos