Proof Of Income

Hi,

I am on a Non O 1 year multiple entry visa on the grounds of marriage.

I got it from Savanathet where I didn't have to show money.

To get to Savanakhet from Chiang Rai you must really fly to Bangkok first and it becomes expensive.

So I'm trying to find out if I can stay without having to leave the country.

I have about 20K coming in from abroad every month to my Thai bank account.

My misssus earns 15K per month but she's self employed and doesn't pay taxes.

I've known for a while that there are dodgy visa services that can supply proof of income but I'm not interested in that.

So I was just reading that there are other visa services like Siam legal that can also do it but cost around 15k.

I nearly have to spend 15K anyway on flights.

It would have been off topic to ask on that thread so I opened this one.Does anyone know how I can stay in the country in my circumstances.

According to the rules, you would not be able to stay in Thailand "legally". However, I presume that you are relatively elderly and retired and the income that you are currently getting (Thb 20k per month) is more than sufficient for your needs. I would merely suggest that you keep you head down and under the radar, don't try to leave the country and you would be able to live out the rest of your life happily in the LOS.

All the best mate.

• Like 1

According to the rules, you would not be able to stay in Thailand "legally". However, I presume that you are relatively elderly and retired and the income that you are currently getting (Thb 20k per month) is more than sufficient for your needs. I would merely suggest that you keep you head down and under the radar, don't try to leave the country and you would be able to live out the rest of your life happily in the LOS.

All the best mate.

I'm a newbie on here. But this is the worst bit of advice I have seen.

Everyone needs to be legal now. We all know these things have happened before and passed, there's a different tone to this one. Get legal

Pray tell me, how is the OP supposed to get "legal" if he does not have the funds to do so? You are an O&G man, if I remember correctly from a thread you started yesterday. You probably earn in a month what the OP gets from his pension in a year. Would you consider loaning him the money on a long term basis to get "legal"?

Another thing you may not have considered is that the OP may be living in a small little mooban in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere where the immigration officials in that area may not be bothered whatsoever about what the powers that are in Bkk may decide. You may have only spent all your time in Thailand in the big cities but there are literally thousands of little moobans all over the North and North East where the IO is part of the community and would not "crack down" on farangs who may be an asset to the local community.

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Like 1

All the best mate.

Everyone needs to be legal now. We all know these things have happened before and passed, there's a different tone to this one. Get legal

Pray tell me, how is the OP supposed to get "legal" if he does not have the funds to do so? You are an O&G man, if I remember correctly from a thread you started yesterday. You probably earn in a month what the OP gets from his pension in a year. Would you consider loaning him the money on a long term basis to get "legal"?

Another thing you may not have considered is that the OP may be living in a small little mooban in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere where the immigration officials in that area may not be bothered whatsoever about what the powers that are in Bkk may decide. You may have only spent all your time in Thailand in the big cities but there are literally thousands of little moobans all over the North and North East where the IO is part of the community and would not "crack down" on farangs who may be an asset to the local community.

If I may, I would like to add to my post above. If the OP is unable to get "legal" based on his financial situation, he would have to leave Thailand and return to his home country anyway and to then stay there, most likely, for the rest of his life. If I were him, I would then risk staying here illegally as the worst case scenario would be to have to return to my home country and stay there for the rest of my life.

See what I mean?

As far as I know, getting a notarized letter of income is a simple procedure. You can even do it where there is an embassy outreach in your local community. I also remember reading that they don't verify the amount that you claim you earn. (hint, hint, hint)

Good luck to you, and may you live the rest of your days with peace and happiness in the Kingdom.

I wonder how much I would have to have in the credit union before they lent me 400K

or my bank...........krung Thai.

They could lend me the money and freeze the account.

It might not have to be the full 400k if I can prove that I have 20K a month.

All help wellcome.

1. You don't have to fly to Bangkok to get to Savannakhet. You can use surface transportation, bus, much cheaper.

2. Last reports indicate that Savannakhet is still issuing multiple entry "O's" witth no proof of income.

3. If you do not get legal and overstay and get caught, the rules are changing and you could be deported and blacklisted for a number of years,

4. You could get a one year extension for marriage, but you cannot use your wife's income. You must have either 400k in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months OR proof of income of at least 40k/month. You cannot use the combination method for a marriage extension, only for retirement. If you are American you can get an "income affidavit" from the Embassy stating your monthly income. It's a sworn statement, but if you lie you are commiting purgery and immigration might also ask for proof.

5. Doggy visa servisces are just that "doggy" and I would avoid them like the plague.

6. Toward the end of your last entry on your current Nom-O you can extend for another 60 days at immigration for "visiting your Thai family", Tm7 form and 1900 baht.

7. Forget the 400k loan, you won't get it, even with combined income.

IMHO your best option is to extend your current stay by 60 days and then travel to Savannakhet and get a new multiple entry Non-O visa.

Edited by wayned

This in your post makes me wonder what you are asking about;

"I am on a Non O 1 year multiple entry visa on the grounds of marriage.

I got it from Savanathet where I didn't have to show money.

To get to Savanakhet from Chiang Rai you must really fly to Bangkok first and it becomes expensive."

Are you asking about getting another visa? Or do you think you need to go to Savannakhet for each new 90 day entry.

You can go to Mai Sai for your entries.

If you are wanting a new visa. You can fly from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. From there to Mukdahan is a 3 to 4 hour bus ride.

You can also get flights via Bangkok to Mukdahan that are a fly/ride service via Nakhon Phanom.

As far as I know, getting a notarized letter of income is a simple procedure. You can even do it where there is an embassy outreach in your local community. I also remember reading that they don't verify the amount that you claim you earn. (hint, hint, hint)

Good luck to you, and may you live the rest of your days with peace and happiness in the Kingdom.

To get a PofI letter you have to supply the UK Embassy with a yearly pension or other statement showing where you income is coming from, IMHO I am sure they are able to spot originals from some dodgy scrap of paper. In my case I supply a branded statement from the trustee's containing monthly and yearly income. Even if your income is private I would have thought it would have to be along the same lines.

All the best mate.

Living in a mooban in Nakon Nowhere would be the worst thing to do if you are ilegal. Staying under the radar you need to blend in.....Pattaya, Phuket etc is far better than being the only white face in the area.

I also remember reading that they don't verify the amount that you claim you earn.

To get a PofI letter you have to supply the UK Embassy with a yearly pension or other statement showing where you income is coming from

The OP didn't say from which country he is. Yes UK - and probably most countries - will ask for some proof of your revenues, but other countries - like USA - are know to write on their letter any amount you ask them to put on. No checking.

Strictly by the law the OP has no more right to stay living in Thailand... Sad. I don't know, but I would probably try to find someone (friends? family? ...) to help to get the required found for 3 months. Yes, maybe not 100% legal but...

I would avoid all "visa agency" though.

All the best mate.

Living in a mooban in Nakon Nowhere would be the worst thing to do if you are ilegal. Staying under the radar you need to blend in.....Pattaya, Phuket etc is far better than being the only white face in the area.

On the other hand, the Thais living in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere is probably unlikely to know very much about immigration requirements and would merely assume that the OP has fulfilled all the necessary.

Of course, the best is to try and get legal and try to raise the Thb 400,000 necessary soonest possible.

• Like 1

I wonder how much I would have to have in the credit union before they lent me 400K

or my bank...........krung Thai.

They could lend me the money and freeze the account.

It might not have to be the full 400k if I can prove that I have 20K a month.

All help wellcome.

you would need 200k in Thai bank and combined with the 20k pension you are fine, if you have a friend who could lend you 200k baht for an hour you could get the confirmation letter from your bank that you have the balance - when you use the combination of earnings and bank balance the latter does not have to be seasoned in the account for 2/3 months

note I could be wrong here as someone stated that the combination method cannot be used for Marige extension

also note that very recently Multiple O based on marrige from the UK Thai Embassy London did bot require the showing of funds

Edited by smedly

Just to note, given a few comments above, that the US income affidavit is a sworn statement under penalty of perjury and the US Consular Official will often (but not always) advise that Thai Immigration has the right to ask for corroborating information to that sworn statement.

• Like 1

I think that the OP is coming towards the end of the non O that he has and is considering his options with regard to renewal ie does he have to pay the 15k in flights from CR to get there or is there an alternative etc.

As has been mentioned, flying via Bangkok is not the only option to get to Savannakhet from Chiang Rai but I don't imagine that the bus journey is an even remotely pleasant experience. Driving is an option either alone or in a group. If you posted a request on the Chiang Rai forum, I wouldn't mind betting there might be some interested parties there depending upon when you might need to go.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All the best mate.

So you're in effect, telling the guy to break the law, keep his head down and avoid officaldom at all costs and he should be OK?

Stupid, irresponsible advice

Is it OK to break the law as long as the perp's a meek, mild-mannered man of pensionable age living quietly on a modest fixed income with his Thai wife in the rear end of the Thai countryside?

Just imagine what the response would be if the OP was a 20-40-something on an ED visa paying his way through a language course by writing articles online. The usual jokers would be swarming over the thread slagging him off for working illegally and insisting he buy the Thai Elite card if he wants to be here legally.

If he couldn't afford it, everyone would be screaming "get out, you deadbeat" while foaming at the mouth demanding his IP address so they could send immigration around with dogs, a TV crew and the tools to construct a crucifix.

OK so the OP may be a nice, quiet guy but "tough".

If he ain't got the dosh, he should get on a plane back home, get a job and work until he can afford to come back and live here legally. =Too old to work? Tough! He's too poor for Thailand

Edited by Cypress Hill

All the best mate.

A stupid advice. If he is unlucky and they catch him. Then he will be blacklisted. If blacklisted he can not stay with his wife.

whistling.gif What do you actually have now?

is it a one year multi-entry VISA (such as you would get in a Thai consulate or embassy outside of Thailand)?

Or did you get a one year extension in your local immigration in Thailand?

The reason that is important is that depending on what you have makes a difference in what you mist do.

If you have an actual VISA (obtained outside of Thailand) you Must leave the country every 90 days and re-enter to get another 90 day stay.

if you got an extension inside Thailand at Thai immigration you need to do 90 day reporting, but you do not need to leave the country.

That however won't help with the financial requirements.

Your going to need the income for that marriage extension anyhow, and you will need either::

• 400K Thai Baht equivalent OR
  • 40K Thai Baht monthly income equivalent

for that marriage extension.

And it will almost certainly need to be YOUR income, not your wife's and your income combined

Sorry, but that is the rules.

I don't believe the immigration will give you a break on that requirement.

whistling.gif What do you actually have now?

is it a one year multi-entry VISA (such as you would get in a Thai consulate or embassy outside of Thailand)?

Or did you get a one year extension in your local immigration in Thailand?

The reason that is important is that depending on what you have makes a difference in what you mist do.

If you have an actual VISA (obtained outside of Thailand) you Must leave the country every 90 days and re-enter to get another 90 day stay.

if you got an extension inside Thailand at Thai immigration you need to do 90 day reporting, but you do not need to leave the country.

That however won't help with the financial requirements.

Your going to need the income for that marriage extension anyhow, and you will need either::

• 400K Thai Baht equivalent OR
  • 40K Thai Baht monthly income equivalent
for that marriage extension.

And it will almost certainly need to be YOUR income, not your wife's and your income combined

Sorry, but that is the rules.

I don't believe the immigration will give you a break on that requirement.

But he can get a new 12 month non O multiple visa without those 400k or 40k

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you're in effect, telling the guy to break the law, keep his head down and avoid officaldom at all costs and he should be OK?

Stupid, irresponsible advice

Is it OK to break the law as long as the perp's a meek, mild-mannered man of pensionable age living quietly on a modest fixed income with his Thai wife in the rear end of the Thai countryside?

Just imagine what the response would be if the OP was a 20-40-something on an ED visa paying his way through a language course by writing articles online. The usual jokers would be swarming over the thread slagging him off for working illegally and insisting he buy the Thai Elite card if he wants to be here legally.

If he couldn't afford it, everyone would be screaming "get out, you deadbeat" while foaming at the mouth demanding his IP address so they could send immigration around with dogs, a TV crew and the tools to construct a crucifix.

OK so the OP may be a nice, quiet guy but "tough".

If he ain't got the dosh, he should get on a plane back home, get a job and work until he can afford to come back and live here legally. =Too old to work? Tough! He's too poor for Thailand

The OP is asking how he can continue to stay in Thailand without being able to meet the financial requirements. I have merely outlined a few possibilities.

I am neither a policeman nor an immigration officer. It is not my country, not my laws and I do not possess the moral nor ethical right to tell him to go back to his home country. All I have is compassion for someone less fortunate than myself. I hope that if I'm in a tight spot myself, some others would show some similar compassion.

• Like 2

All the best mate.

A stupid advice. If he is unlucky and they catch him. Then he will be blacklisted. If blacklisted he can not stay with his wife.

As it stands, he cannot stay with his wife in any case. Isn't the risk worth taking?

All the best mate.

Not really the worst thing to do at all. I live in a small moo ban in Khampaeng Phet province and the police have only come around once in 5 years. Nobody out here knows or cares if you are legal or not. I am and I am BKK visiting the UK embassy tomorrow morning to get my income proof letter.

There are only 2 full time farangs that I know of here but 5 or 6 FIFO.

The local police know me, a few of the monks from the local temple know me and half of the villagers too but nobody has asked if I am legal. I report to Nakhon Sawan Immigration and that is 125 km away and they have never been here either.

1. You don't have to fly to Bangkok to get to Savannakhet. You can use surface transportation, bus, much cheaper.

2. Last reports indicate that Savannakhet is still issuing multiple entry "O's" witth no proof of income.

3. If you do not get legal and overstay and get caught, the rules are changing and you could be deported and blacklisted for a number of years,

4. You could get a one year extension for marriage, but you cannot use your wife's income. You must have either 400k in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months OR proof of income of at least 40k/month. You cannot use the combination method for a marriage extension, only for retirement. If you are American you can get an "income affidavit" from the Embassy stating your monthly income. It's a sworn statement, but if you lie you are commiting purgery and immigration might also ask for proof.

5. Doggy visa servisces are just that "doggy" and I would avoid them like the plague.

6. Toward the end of your last entry on your current Nom-O you can extend for another 60 days at immigration for "visiting your Thai family", Tm7 form and 1900 baht.

7. Forget the 400k loan, you won't get it, even with combined income.

IMHO your best option is to extend your current stay by 60 days and then travel to Savannakhet and get a new multiple entry Non-O visa.

Fra easier cab C Rai Ban Hay zai airport 100 miles 2500 baht for 5 or 72 baht bus

Lao Avaition to Savannakhet via Luang Prabang 11 am 3/4 days a week

http://www.laoairlines.com/

Old scedule here many travel agents in C Rai can book or bus to Pilok then then Mukdhan around 600 baht

Proof of income is for the extension folks, correct? I've never been asked what I do or don't do or what my income is in nearly 10 years of getting 'O' visas based on marriage to a Thai. I'm going back soon, have my usual 'O' visa and am wondering if anything's changed. I can show I have the means to stay for quite a while, if necessary, with UK bank statements, or could put some money in a Thai bank account (lump sum or regular amounts), if needed. In the past I've only ever shown income (40k+/month in wife's Thai account) when applying for the 'O' in Penang. What's new? I've been out of the country for a while so I'm not up to speed.

Do you want a multiple non-O or a single?

You can extend in Thailand if you can show an income of 40,000 baht (with a letter from your embassy confirming your income) OR 400,000 in a bank account in your name only in Thailand. Money must be there for 2 months.

Do you want a multiple non-O or a single?

You can extend in Thailand if you can show an income of 40,000 baht (with a letter from your embassy confirming your income) OR 400,000 in a bank account in your name only in Thailand. Money must be there for 2 months.

I have a multiple already, one of many in the last 10 years or so, but it's my first for a while now so I'm thinking things might have changed. I always used to get my multiple non-O in Penang. Is that not possible anymore? I'm not looking to get the extension currently. I think you just confirmed one thing for me, that the proof of income is for the extension, and not necessary for the multiple entry non-O folks, am I right?

I've read that ppl go to Laos for the non-O now, so really is Penang not doable anymore? Think I'll still fly to Penang and come back next day every 90 days though, as I'm familiar with the routine, even if I don't go there for my visa anymore. Perhaps I'll just get my next multiple non-O the next time I'm back in the UK in about a year.

Edited by fauxie