Lawyers Council slams the 'needless' parading of criminal suspects by police

Lite Beer

" But all fives were eventually acquitted, ..... The only survivor is barely able to walk after sustaining a spinal injury in a prison attack.

During his wrongful sentence, his wife reportedlyl died of stress, one of his daughters was raped and killed and one of his sons went missing. The case was reopened in 1995, leading to the conviction of the real murderers"

Crikey! Talk about a string of bad luck. Wrongfully imprisoned, crippled while there, lost wife and 2 children.

I just have to believe he was a bad dude anyway and that's why he was originally arrested.

Huh.... Thailand is danger of falling into that quagmire of political correctness.

I think the vast majority of Thai society don't agree with them, but once a country becomes pushed into a system of PC, it ends up with the majority becoming pushed around to accommodate left wing pinko minority pressure groups like this.

Absurdly... in the case below, they had to reach back almost 30 years and I really don't see what evidence it pulls up to support their case on human rights, how can re-enactments and forced apologies to relatives be any way, shape or form be responsible for what happens after a conviction?????

Surely it is the actual wrong conviction that is actually responsible for wrong imprisonment. Even then it doesn't have any affect on people getting cancer or wife dying from 'stress' which is equally absurd. Fate is fate, nothing to do with being forced to say sorry to a grieving relative.

But all fives were eventually acquitted, some posthumously, due to the flawed police investigation. One of the five accused died in custody, another one contracted pneumonia in prison and died five months after being released and another died of cancer not long afterwards.

The only survivor is barely able to walk after sustaining a spinal injury in a prison attack.

During his wrongful sentence, his wife reportedlyl died of stress, one of his daughters was raped and killed and one of his sons went missing. The case was reopened in 1995, leading to the conviction of the real murderers.

I will add that in my own opinion.

The VAST MAJORITY of people whom this affects (probably north of 90%) are in fact thieves, rapists, terrorists and murderers.

These people are a cancer on society, and once they choose their path that they travel, they should not be considered for human rights. They don't consider the rights of their victims, so why should they have extra consideration from society?

I agree that victims and relatives should not be forced to face these criminals, but I would say that those who do not wish to is again a very small minority, and I doubt they are forced to attend. I think you will find that they are not forced.

Edited by lostsoul49

The problem I have with this , is the suspects are paraded before being found guilty , there seems to be a look at me , see what I have done from the Police department, aren't I good and lets not forget that if you want democracy , which everyone seems to want , you are innocent till proven guilty, that go's for whatever offence they have been charged with, parade them by all means , after the judge has spoken, end of story.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

" But all fives were eventually acquitted, ..... The only survivor is barely able to walk after sustaining a spinal injury in a prison attack.

During his wrongful sentence, his wife reportedlyl died of stress, one of his daughters was raped and killed and one of his sons went missing. The case was reopened in 1995, leading to the conviction of the real murderers"

Crikey! Talk about a string of bad luck. Wrongfully imprisoned, crippled while there, lost wife and 2 children.

I just have to believe he was a bad dude anyway and that's why he was originally arrested.

I dont think he was a bad guy at all. Google Sherry An Duncan and read the horror story.

• Like 1

These people are a cancer on society, and once they choose their path that they travel, they should not be considered for human rights. They don't consider the rights of their victims, so why should they have extra consideration from society?

So who decides and when is it decided that their human rights should no long be considered? The police at the time of the arrest when guilt has not been decided, only suspicion of an offence. Or a judge after the verdict.

Once society decides to selectively revoke human rights irrespective of the crimes, you are on a slippery slope. Would those rights be given back after a sentence is completed? If so you return essentially abused people, disenfranchised from society back into society with the outcome being what? Probably more of the same.

Human rights are not something that can be given and taken away, like a bone from a dog.

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I will add that in my own opinion.

The VAST MAJORITY of people whom this affects (probably north of 90%) are in fact thieves, rapists, terrorists and murderers.

I agree that victims and relatives should not be forced to face these criminals, but I would say that those who do not wish to is again a very small minority, and I doubt they are forced to attend. I think you will find that they are not forced.

In other words, because in your opinion (repeat your opinion) they are bad, therefore they are not entitled to due process which includes innocent until proven guilty.

Stand by for our outstanding well balanced ex cop from Oz to agree with you.

The headline says: "BANGKOK: -- The parading of criminal suspects at press conferences and getting them to stage re-enactments by the police ....... "

So far lots of comments on re-enactments but almost none of the press conferences. In the last few days there have been several threads including as many as 30 cops in the photo op. I'm hesitant to believe every one of these 30 cops was actively and meaningfully involved in the arrests of the suspects.

Seems to me they are insecure and somehow believe having their photo in the media makes them important.

Bottom line - in most of these cases they are doing what they are paid to do - gather evidence and catch suspects.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

The headline says: "BANGKOK: -- The parading of criminal suspects at press conferences and getting them to stage re-enactments by the police ....... "

So far lots of comments on re-enactments but almost none of the press conferences. In the last few days there have been several threads including as many as 30 cops in the photo op. I'm hesitant to believe every one of these 30 cops was actively and meaningfully involved in the arrests of the suspects.

Seems to me they are insecure and somehow believe having their photo in the media makes them important.

Bottom line - in most of these cases they are doing what they are paid to do - gather evidence and catch suspects.

I think you're giving the police too much credit. They do what they can to make money. If they don't make money off it, they are only interested in getting it off their plate and on to something more profitable.

In our village, they won't even show up unless we pay them.

I think you're giving the police too much credit. They do what they can to make money. If they don't make money off it, they are only interested in getting it off their plate and on to something more profitable.

"In our village they won't even show up unless we pay them" Please What village?

Report them, Geezz talk to the media, splash it all over internet, they'll soon get off their ass, just hide your IP address, not that difficult.

Not unusual:

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/134859/police-action-questioned-after-shooting-at-jomtien-tattoo-shop/

Khun Jackgrit called the Police and asked them to attend the incident but they claimed they had no one to attend and asked him to report the incident at the Dongtan Police Sub-Station on Jomtien Beach.

Khun Jackgrit attended and was given a report but was once again told that the investigation would take place at the station without anyone attending the scene of the shooting.

He is unsure who shot at his shop and claims not to be in dispute with anyone but is even more unsure as to why Police refused to conduct a full investigation into the incident.

"In our village, they won't even show up unless we pay them."

A job for the good general

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- The parading of criminal suspects at press conferences and getting them to stage re-enactments by the police are needless as per procedural law and are a human rights violation, a senior Lawyers Council of Thailand official said.

I think they are self serving, dangerous and unnecessary. I do like the idea of Yingluck in a bulletproof vest pointing to a warehouse full of rotting rice or a half empty one for that matter. But we all know that it won't happen, because only poor people who can't afford lawyers get dragged out for these freak shows.

• Like 1