Thai bankbook as proof of funds when entering?

Would a recently updated Thai bankbook with a sufficient amount in it be accepted by Thai immigration as proof of funds when entering Thailand, or does it have to be cash? You would think that in this age of digital money and transaction, people can't be expected any more to carry any more cash than needed for day to day purchases.I know that you are very rarely asked by immigration to show money , but with the new visa crackdown one wants to be prepared .

Reports have suggested that when foreigners have been asked to show funds when entering Thailand, credit cards and bankbooks do not count. Cash does. One report stated travellers cheques were accepted.

Reports have suggested that when foreigners have been asked to show funds when entering Thailand, credit cards and bankbooks do not count. Cash does. One report stated travellers cheques were accepted.

And can the cash be any currency, or do they want to see Thai Baht only?

Good question. While Thai Baht is easily obtainable at all border crossings via ATMs and moneychangers located near the borders (and also on the other side of the borders) and via ATMs/moneychangers at the airports, it pays to have Baht in your wallet before arriving at immigration. This is easy to do if arriving overland from any neighboring country where you can buy Baht before arriving in Thailand but more difficult if arriving by air since I believe there are no Baht ATMs before immigration at Suvarnabhumi (I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any) and while Baht can easily be purchased in such countries as Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and others it's not necessarily going to get a good exchange rate - in some other countries Baht will be difficult to obtain. Only neighboring countries (including Vietnam and usually Singapore) are good places to buy Baht in advance otherwise you're better off exchanging your foreign currency for Baht upon arrival in Thailand.

I would imagine that if an immigration officer doesn't like your AUD, USD, SGD, VND, HKD, EUR, CHF, CNY or whatever other currency you may be entering with, you can certainly ask him/her to allow you to exchange it to Baht right at the moneychangers nearby in order to meet immigration requirements.

Is this just for ppl with tourist visas or would I need some cash on me entering with my non-O from marriage?

In many embassies a tourist visa requires proof of funds. Conversely most non-O visas visas no not, though the OA needs income or bank deposit (again in most places)

So it would follow that the cash requirement would be for: visa on arrival, visa exempt and tourist visa entry's

Is this just for ppl with tourist visas or would I need some cash on me entering with my non-O from marriage?

It is a general requirement for all visas, but normally not checked. They started checking it recently for people arriving on visa exempt or toruist visas who appear to be continously staying in Thailand.

Actually below visas require financial proof - although not all Consulates will ask to see they can and so can immigration on arrival

For transit visa - Evidence of adequate finance (10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)

For tourist or non immigrant visa - Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

The bank book appears to be widely accepted in Thailand. You can use it to secure bail so I would question why it's not accepted.

Some tourists have legitimate bank accounts outside their home jurisdiction and it also likely helps showing that source of funds is not local based on the updates.

So that might ease some suspicion that you're working in the country.

The bank book appears to be widely accepted in Thailand. You can use it to secure bail so I would question why it's not accepted.

Some tourists have legitimate bank accounts outside their home jurisdiction and it also likely helps showing that source of funds is not local based on the updates.

So that might ease some suspicion that you're working in the country.

A recent thread about refusing entry down south to visa exempt farangs. The top IO for the district said"Thai Bank books aren't good .Must have money or ATM receipts

As previously reported, arriving as a tourist with a Thai Bank A/C? Opens up a can of worms.

For other Visa type entries, should be OK.(preferably with an ATM card.

it makes perfectly sense having a thai bank account (together with an ATM-card) as a tourist in my opinion even when you come here just on your regular holidays once a year. and the accountant at the bangkok bank totally agreed with me on this. this way you don't have to rely just to your credit card, don't have to pay all the extra fees and don't need to carry big amounts of cash with you. sounds reasonable to me and i don't think this should make you suspicious.

Dont see the problem with a bona fide tourist with a bank account.

Ive been a tourist in Thailand taking four holidays a year in the Kingdom for the past 18 years (never once made an in/out 'border run' though).

Have two Thai bank accounts (one as back up in the event of vagaries of their connection to the internet) both always have been fed directly from overseas.

& two holiday homes in the Kingdom.

Nowhere in the west would this be considered strange or in any way the signs of someone abusing visas (though to be frank I fail to see how swathes of people availing themselves of the then accepted normal application of the rules in Thailand - and the similarly tolerated ancillary businesses can retroactively be termed 'abusers') or indeed intending to go skulking about scratching a living below the radar.

Let us inject some rationality here and look at how Thai immigration officers, who see passports first, are trained.

What to look for.......

Photo matches face.

No red flags on computer.

Calm, bored demeanor.... or shaking hands, sweating, licking lips often, and stammering to talk.

Dressed modestly and neatly.... or looking like a bum or backpacker.

Has a Thai wife with him.

Has a travel bag.... or has nothing carrying.

There are other tip-offs, but importantly depend mightily on APPEARANCE, and too a demanding arrogant attitude, dismissive of the officer, no smile, fidgeting to go on, snappish answers, etc make the officer suspicious or grumpy, neither of which you want.

Otherwise, then there is the dreaded examination for back to back In/Outs. hee hee

Traveller cheques could be a problem for some. In my European faranglandvbanks have stopped issuingvthe paper forms and are issuing prepaid credit cards (ie Mastercard) instead. Safer to carry, can be blocked when stolen or lost, cash retrieval at any time at nearly every corner, independant of opening times of banks or money exchange, can be used for the exact amount of a purchase, refillable by e-banking when on trip, vendor does not need to handle cheques and wait long for money.

Presumably the 20,000 baht is per person, so 40,000 baht for myself and my wife, and does it apply for renewing our multi Non-Imm O visas. Again presumably we could still do this at Ranong Immigration and go over to the Andaman Club Resort for a night or two with no problem, assuming that office remains open given as the "flood" of Visa Run minibuses from Phuket has dried up to a trickle?

My wife and have or will have when we return in November for our stay until April 2015, as in previous years, Non-Imm O, visiting Thailand as UK pensioners receiving UK State Pensions, multiple entry visas. We will need to renew these at or before 90 days. We stay in Khao Lak so Ranong is our most convenient place to do it from.

Our total stay is 136 days with a two week trip to Australia in Feb/March departing on day 92 (miscalculation on UK departure on my part) and returning back 32 days before our flight home (another miscalculation!) So we could also use three entry Tourist Visa )first entry into Thailand from UK, renew at Ranong at or before 60 days for second entry (or extend at Phang Nga Immigration Office which costs more than the second entry TV), then return into Thailand from Australia for third entry. So same questions re 20,000 baht requirement and Ranong apply.

My wife and have or will have when we return in November for our stay until April 2015, as in previous years, Non-Imm O, visiting Thailand as UK pensioners receiving UK State Pensions, multiple entry visas. We will need to renew these at or before 90 days. We stay in Khao Lak so Ranong is our most convenient place to do it from. Our total stay is 136 days with a two week trip to Australia in Feb/March departing on day 92 (miscalculation on UK departure on my part) and returning back 32 days before our flight home (another miscalculation!) So we could also use three entry Tourist Visa )first entry into Thailand from UK, renew at Ranong at or before 60 days for second entry (or extend at Phang Nga Immigration Office which costs more than the second entry TV), then return into Thailand from Australia for third entry. So same questions re 20,000 baht requirement and Ranong apply.

You don't renew the visa you obtain a a new 90 day entry when you leave and re-enter the country.

There have been no reports that I can recall of people being asked for the 20k baht that have a multiple entry non- o via.

It has been advised to have it in case it was asked for..

My wife and have or will have when we return in November for our stay until April 2015, as in previous years, Non-Imm O, visiting Thailand as UK pensioners receiving UK State Pensions, multiple entry visas. We will need to renew these at or before 90 days. We stay in Khao Lak so Ranong is our most convenient place to do it from. Our total stay is 136 days with a two week trip to Australia in Feb/March departing on day 92 (miscalculation on UK departure on my part) and returning back 32 days before our flight home (another miscalculation!) So we could also use three entry Tourist Visa )first entry into Thailand from UK, renew at Ranong at or before 60 days for second entry (or extend at Phang Nga Immigration Office which costs more than the second entry TV), then return into Thailand from Australia for third entry. So same questions re 20,000 baht requirement and Ranong apply.

You don't renew the visa you obtain a a new 90 day entry when you leave and re-enter the country.

There have been no reports that I can recall of people being asked for the 20k baht that have a multiple entry non- o via.

It has been advised to have it in case it was asked for..

Good question. While Thai Baht is easily obtainable at all border crossings via ATMs and moneychangers located near the borders (and also on the other side of the borders) and via ATMs/moneychangers at the airports, it pays to have Baht in your wallet before arriving at immigration. This is easy to do if arriving overland from any neighboring country where you can buy Baht before arriving in Thailand but more difficult if arriving by air since I believe there are no Baht ATMs before immigration at Suvarnabhumi (I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any) and while Baht can easily be purchased in such countries as Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and others it's not necessarily going to get a good exchange rate - in some other countries Baht will be difficult to obtain. Only neighboring countries (including Vietnam and usually Singapore) are good places to buy Baht in advance otherwise you're better off exchanging your foreign currency for Baht upon arrival in Thailand.

I would imagine that if an immigration officer doesn't like your AUD, USD, SGD, VND, HKD, EUR, CHF, CNY or whatever other currency you may be entering with, you can certainly ask him/her to allow you to exchange it to Baht right at the moneychangers nearby in order to meet immigration requirements.

I once entered Thailand with only a one way ticket (fly in) as i wanted to leave by overland border then fly out from another country and many questions were asked, i lobbed out my wads of cash, my credit card and was let in,, i recommend changing your currency at the airport (at Bangkok) because there are many currency booths there open 24/7 and the exchange rates are good and there are NO FEES so dump the airport fees in your country, it's immoral as they make loads of money anyway, change overseas instead.

I will probably carry 20,000 Baht in cash with me as a precaution for my upcoming border and visa runs. I will need the cash anyway, there is just a possibility of theft.

I have a bank account and passbook as well (used to work here), and think they make sense for tourists who come often.

In my vivid imagination, I can see one of the twenty 1000 Baht notes falling down during counting, and the remaining nineteen being returned to me.

I once entered Thailand with only a one way ticket (fly in) as i wanted to leave by overland border then fly out from another country and many questions were asked, i lobbed out my wads of cash, my credit card and was let in,, i recommend changing your currency at the airport (at Bangkok) because there are many currency booths there open 24/7 and the exchange rates are good and there are NO FEES so dump the airport fees in your country, it's immoral as they make loads of money anyway, change overseas instead.

BKK exchange rates are horrible. The ONLY booth applying almost normal rates is Kasikorn by the train station.

• Like 1