Moto GP or SBK?

ATF

Although I still like to watch Moto GP I have got much more interested in SBK.

Moto GP bikes are not production bikes and have nothing to do with real bikes but SBK is the opposite. Although new tech does come from Moto GP.

SBK bikes are virtually the same as an off the shelf bike with mods accessible to almost anyone.

Anyone who wants to know what the fastest and most nimble production bike is only has to look at the SBK rankings.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2014/Jubilant+Sykes+wins+race+number+eight

• Like 1

Yes, Moto GP are purpose built but to say they have nothing to do with production bikes is far from accurate. I would say in fact Most the tech going into sport bikes have Moto GP lineage.

I watch Moto GP pretty religiously, but rarely Moto 2 or 3 or SBK as they are all lower classes. Just look at the rider progression.

You speak only of the bikes, but what about the riders? A lot of fans enjoy Moto GP not only to support a factory but to support their favorite rider no matter which factory or satellite team they ride for.

I equate it to other sports. I don't even like, say, boxing, for example. But I'll enjoy a heavy weight title match simply because they are the biggest and best. I found myself using the same rationalization recently while watching a bit of soccer, which tends to happen every four years for me. Otherwise I despise the sport and all the play acting. Hell, I even bought my country's soccer jersey during one world cup!

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

This is exactly what I'm getting at. Moto GP is a testing ground for tech but who really is the best rider? Who really makes the best bike? It's like comparing an F1 Renault to a showroom Renault. Absolutely no comparison.

Look at the IOM TT. Rossi and co. would never go anywhere near it, but it's the greatest race on earth.

• Like 2

This is exactly what I'm getting at. Moto GP is a testing ground for tech but who really is the best rider? Who really makes the best bike? It's like comparing an F1 Renault to a showroom Renault. Absolutely no comparison.

Look at the IOM TT. Rossi and co. would never go anywhere near it, but it's the greatest race on earth.

honda makes the best bike.

at moto gp, it is mostly about bikes but sbk, depending more on the rider IMO.

i prefer moto gp as i like to watch the best corner carving machines on earth.

• Like 1

I like the production aspect of SBK and I watch the races, but MotoGP has the highest level of talent as far as the riders are concerned- guys like Biaggi and Spies who could never win a MotoGP championship (when they both had very capable bikes and teams) won it all in SBK.

Nicky Hayden could have gone to SBK and probably would have had a real chance at winning, but he elected to stay with the biggest talent pool (which I admire).

It is cool to see a bike on the track that (given enough money) you could approximate for the road- the MotoGP bikes are the equivalent of F1 cars (though the tech filters down to the street eventually)

• Like 2

For me SBK all the way. MotoGP has become a bore fest with one rider dominating but still watchable as a spectacle though. IMO, SBK races are closer and more exciting.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Like 1

honda makes the best bike.

at moto gp, it is mostly about bikes but sbk, depending more on the rider IMO.

i prefer moto gp as i like to watch the best corner carving machines on earth.

II2 I know you love Honda and Honda make the best Moto GP bike but we are talking about a million dollar bike plus the crew etc. The Honda street bike is nothing like the Moto GP bike. Rossi's Yamaha M1 has a ^%&^%^+&* gyroscope to maintain traction control!

SBK shows that reviews of street bikes are quite correct the ZX is the best combination of speed and agility together with Aprilia although Honda does have a good showing and is way ahead in the Supersport Class where street tires must be used.

The big surprise is BMW and I don't know why. Again the reviews state this bike has huge top end which is probably why it did so well in the IOM TT.

• Like 2

Moto GP 100% best bikes and much better riders, superbike riders rarely do much when they move up to GP's.

Followed sbk's from the very beginning when Bimota's were having a good crack, through the great days of King Karl, Frankie, Slighty et al and Colins superb championship when Troy looked completely unbeatable but the last race I went to was Imola in 2003 and my interest waned to the point I don't watch it at all now.

Anyone remember those great races at Hockenheim (before they turned it into a go kart track) between Foggy and Slighty when the Honda was probably 10mph faster but Foggy was so fast through the chicanes Slighty could never get the better of him? Great days.

• Like 2

Why doesn't Yamaha appear anywhere on that SBK list? I've never ridden a superbike but I thought the R1 was supposed to be a great bike.

The R1 was and still is an excellent bike but obviously doesn't cut it with it's newer competitors. New R1 expected next year. Yamaha pours it's money into Moto GP although they do very well in the 600 Class.

Why doesn't Yamaha appear anywhere on that SBK list? I've never ridden a superbike but I thought the R1 was supposed to be a great bike.

The R1 was and still is an excellent bike but obviously doesn't cut it with it's newer competitors. New R1 expected next year. Yamaha pours it's money into Moto GP although they do very well in the 600 Class.

mac it is because in reality Yamaha did not have a homologate bike capable of SBK

To be in SBK you need to offer for sale X amount of basically the same bike to the public.

As ATF mentioned next year is rumored to be different.

But again just as the other brands that run SBK have a homologate

bike ( meaning one for sale that is like the SBK bike )

That does not mean it is the one everyday folks will be buying.

Next year Yamaha if they decide to go ahead with SBK

Yamaha will make 2 versions of R1

A street sale version & a race homologation version ( only 125 units need be built initially)

The rumors have the race version at 230hp & will be priced as such out of reach of normal

non pro racers.

BTW if your interested here are the new rules for homolgation of a brand in SBK...

• The minimum number of units to start the homologation procedure will be 125.

• At the end of the first year of participation, manufacturers will have to reach 250 units.

• At the end of the second year of participation, manufacturers will have to reach 1000 units.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

I watch and enjoy both actually. If I was forced to choose though it would be WSBK. In that category you will see different winners and different scraps between riders and manufacturers, definately the racing is better. In terms of the bikes yes of course the factory backed GP bikes are far superior, go a bit further down the grid though to the ART and CRT bikes and I think they are pretty much modified production bikes which is of course what WSBK is.

As for the riders, I think maybe the top 6 riders in motogp are pretty much the best in motorcycle racing but go further down the motogp grid and I would say they are pretty much interchangable with WSBK riders.

That being said remember in 2006 Troy Bayliss the WSBK champion had a wildcard ride on a motogp ducati and won the race.

• Like 2

For entertainment value, I like SBK racing more.

We still need MGP because that research technology makes road bikes better eventually.

MGP and F1 are relatively safe and enclosed enviroments although still crazy to mortals.

I prefer watching rally cars, IOM, and Dakar most.

Racing on different surfaces on open roads seems very crazy to me.

MotoGP 100%

I watch every MotoGP & Moto3 for the last few years including all practice & qualifying sessions wink.png

Moto2 once in a great while

Use to watch all classes years ago & took a break for a few years

SBK only a few Although many years ago when guys like Carl Fogarty were on top

I use to watch WSBK religiously

To compare things like SBK & IOM to GP is a non starter

Yes their all great riders but it is not the same thing

And there's me thinks Nicky and Scott ridecustomer Honda's in MotoGP. whistling.gif

• Like 1

And there's me thinks Nicky and Scott ridecustomer Honda's in MotoGP. whistling.gif

laugh.png Your know your not far from the truth there Kwasaki

Poor Nicky & Scott & Aoyama too sad.png

Well they will be soon, just like Marco and Toni if they don't step it up soon.

Easier said than done on a bike that is 4+ sec a lap slower than even the CRT bikes.

Actually I should say *usually* 4+ because sometimes like Germany if its wet then things can get

a little better for them... ;)

Edited by mania

Easier said than done on a bike that is 4+ sec a lap slower than even the CRT bikes.

Actually I should say *usually* 4+ because sometimes like Germany if its wet then things can get

a little better for them... wink.png

I don't think there is CRT anymore they are referred to as Open class now I believe.

2014 the rules governing the eligibility of entries have changed.

MSMA prototypes will be reclassified as the new "Factory" class.

The Claiming Rule Teams (CRT) sub-category will be restructured as the "Open" class.

All bikes will use the approved MotoGP Electronic Control Unit, with bikes in the "Open" class using both the MotoGP ECU and identical software.

ECU's of those competing as "Factory" entries permitted to use their own custom software.

The Factory option bike will have their allocation of engines reduced from twelve to five, and those five will have their design frozen.

The amount of fuel allowed will be reduced from twenty-four litres to twenty litres.

A manufacturer who has not achieved a win in dry conditions in the previous year, or a new manufacturer entering the championship, could enter under the Factory option with all the concessions available to the Open class; these benefits will be reduced in case of a determined number of podiums or wins.

Ducati Team and Pramac Racing were due to enter their bikes in the Open class but revised regulations meant that they were finally entered under the Factory option.

I sent this to my son when he asked what's up, laugh.png and one day I think it will become just like WSBK.

• Like 1

I don't think there is CRT anymore they are referred to as Open class now I believe.

Yes that is right kwasaki

Only what they call Factory Option & Open now

I still say CRT but it is now Open &

Ducati went that way much to the protests of some of the other teams.

So the governing body installed a rule of..I think it was...

any team who goes Open & gets 2 second places or 3 third places

per team loses the fuel benefit

& 3 wins loses the soft tires etc etc...confusing if you ask me wink.png

But Dorna wants the whole thing on spec ECU's someday & Honda

has threatened to leave MotoGP if it comes to that

Open also has the big advantages of testing anytime & being able to

open & refine sealed engines as long as they have not been used yet.