Blacklisted

New passport..same name simply report it stolen or lost while outside of Thailand (UK, anywhere, nearby..). 

New passport will have no trace physically of prior visas and stays on the passport. No idea about computer though! 

Having child in Thailand he can and could have got extensions of stay up to a year if he had legitimised the birth of his son. There are posts and plenty of information on that on this forum  particulary by Mario2008 and Udon Joe. Proof of income earning 40K THB per month or 400K THB in a Thai bank account are required for the year long extension. 

I hope your friend find a solution to his dilemma, which is self inflicted and more so..don´t tell me he is so poor he has not had or been able to save a few thousand baht out of his 35k salary to do a border run and/or get a visa and the necessary extensions of stay.

Still best of luck to him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a few hundred bucks though it if he gets stuck in Laos and not allowed back? He has the 20k and cash to fly to Laos or Malaysia, then what if he cant come back? He has a job, 35K a month, but he wont if he's stuck elsewhere will he?

If he had family or friends to ask Im sure he would have 18 months ago...

He is working without a proper visa? Does he have a work permit?

He's probably working as a teacher, reasonably well paid ( enough to just about secure a family ) but not enough to jump through the hoops.

He probably wants the work permit and the security it bestows.

He probably can't get one because of the policies and attitudes of his employer ( Needs work, two kids to feed and a wife he probably wants to stay with etc...)

Still does n´t explain an 18 month overstay. He could n´t have got a tourist Visa or even an non o to visit his children plus the relevant extensions? (not that I condone working on the incorrect visa due to the potential risks!)

I do feel for the guy but it is he that has deprived or potentially depriving his own children of their father every single day he has worked here on the incorrect visa, potential penalty much greater than being banned from entering Thailand for 3 years (max penalty of 200K fine and 5 years in prison if I am not mistaken). I also note that he is potentially screwing himself and his wife´s future as I doubt he would be on a UK contract of employment, and thus ensuring his work record and ability to retire an obtain a state pension (hope his ass is covered there when the time comes).

It is a dire situation and best of luck to him.

Out of interest what causes someone to overstay by 18 months? I sh*t my pants at the thought of overstaying by 1 day! 

Edited by DerekMarshall

Update:

The immigration at swampy called my friends wife back.

They have the rules in place now.

If he goes out with 18 months now he will not be allowed back in for 3 years.

Game over

The problem with the phone call is that is not the guy or gal stamping your passport totally different results two different people.

• Like 2

Reading through the many threads, one thing they all have in common is that everything is changing.

Concerning the recent political upheaval nothing is surprising and nobody can provide a reasonable prediction of what is coming down the pipe.

It should be expected that things will change, some possibly for the better, others for the worse.

Should you be one of the unfortunates who through circumstance are now outside of the current regulations, fix the problem now. The sooner you take action, the better it will be for you.  

A new regulation may be revealed tomorrow or in the near future that will make your lot in life worse.

It is hoped that leniency will be the order of the day for those who take steps to bring themselves in compliance with the Thai regulations.

If you do not take steps to clear things up and are caught, expect no mercy. 

Edited by The Man Who Sold the World
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Update:

The immigration at swampy called my friends wife back.

They have the rules in place now.

If he goes out with 18 months now he will not be allowed back in for 3 years.

Game over

OP, as an option, have him (or his wife) phone Don Muang immigration and ask the same question. See if the answers are the same.

As has been stated, the new rules for overstay are still in process and under consideration.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He's probably working as a teacher, reasonably well paid ( enough to just about secure a family ) but not enough to jump through the hoops.

He probably wants the work permit and the security it bestows.

He probably can't get one because of the policies and attitudes of his employer ( Needs work, two kids to feed and a wife he probably wants to stay with etc...)

Still does n´t explain an 18 month overstay. He could n´t have got a tourist Visa or even an non o to visit his children plus the relevant extensions? (not that I condone working on the incorrect visa due to the potential risks!)

I do feel for the guy but it is he that has deprived or potentially depriving his own children of their father every single day he has worked here on the incorrect visa, potential penalty much greater than being banned from entering Thailand for 3 years (max penalty of 200K fine and 5 years in prison if I am not mistaken). I also note that he is potentially screwing himself and his wife´s future as I doubt he would be on a UK contract of employment, and thus ensuring his work record and ability to retire an obtain a state pension (hope his ass is covered there when the time comes).

It is a dire situation and best of luck to him.

Out of interest what causes someone to overstay by 18 months? I sh*t my pants at the thought of overstaying by 1 day! 

That said, it is a position he has put himself, and ultimately his family into. Regardless of his situation, he will have known the rules of the game, and unless he has been confined to bed for the last 18 months, should never be where he is.

But, the reasons for his overstay are another story, what he should now do about it is the concern. I realize that not everyone reads TV and other forums or reads newspapers and that the person on overstay may be living remote, but the very fact that he has someone asking questions for them means that he has known about the crackdown and has opted to do nothing about it until the last minute.

Don't get complacent folks, if you are in the wrong and the media projects that crackdowns are possibly going to happen in areas concerning you, do something about it then, don't wait....................wink.png

• Like 1

The problems arose when his first child was born 3 years ago. He was away in Laos (getting a visa!) and the baby came 6 weeks early. There were many complications and mother and son were touch and go for a while. Because it was an emergency (they broke down her apartment door) she was rushed to the nearest hospital, a private one. 10 days and no sleep later mother and son were doing fine but now he was faced with a 150,000 baht bill. This had to be paid quickly so he borrowed the money. No family or friends to help he eventually managed to pay it all back. He was working in a government school at the time and they suddenly decided to get rid of him and hire an African so he was left without a job in December 2011, his son just 9 months old. He was unable to secure a new job so late in the school year so subsequently his visa ran out. It was hard enough to pay the rent and feed his family (the mother had no breast milk so he had to buy formula) so of course after a couple of months the 20,000 needed (+10,000) to go was well out of reach. He managed to find work with a don't care agency in May, but with rent, debts and food to provide the 30,000 was still out of reach.  

It's easy to pick fault especially when you've got a nice fat pension every month, but this guy has nothing, no family or anything. His mrs is not from a bar and he's been here 12 years always working until this visa hassle.

Now his plan is to go to Mukdaharn with the wife and kids with this months salary and hope they let him back in. If they dont then he's stuck there with 10,000 baht and his family in Thailand with no income.

Is it better to take the family as well?  They can't go over the border but it can't hurt can it taking the mrs and 2 little boys can it? Do you think it's worth phoning to speak first?

Why can't they go over the border?

All takes is a Thai ID card for his wife and birth certificates for the children to get a 3 day border pass. Cost is about 50 baht each.

The problems arose when his first child was born 3 years ago. He was away in Laos (getting a visa!) and the baby came 6 weeks early. There were many complications and mother and son were touch and go for a while. Because it was an emergency (they broke down her apartment door) she was rushed to the nearest hospital, a private one. 10 days and no sleep later mother and son were doing fine but now he was faced with a 150,000 baht bill. This had to be paid quickly so he borrowed the money. No family or friends to help he eventually managed to pay it all back. He was working in a government school at the time and they suddenly decided to get rid of him and hire an African so he was left without a job in December 2011, his son just 9 months old. He was unable to secure a new job so late in the school year so subsequently his visa ran out. It was hard enough to pay the rent and feed his family (the mother had no breast milk so he had to buy formula) so of course after a couple of months the 20,000 needed (+10,000) to go was well out of reach. He managed to find work with a don't care agency in May, but with rent, debts and food to provide the 30,000 was still out of reach.  

It's easy to pick fault especially when you've got a nice fat pension every month, but this guy has nothing, no family or anything. His mrs is not from a bar and he's been here 12 years always working until this visa hassle.

Now his plan is to go to Mukdaharn with the wife and kids with this months salary and hope they let him back in. If they dont then he's stuck there with 10,000 baht and his family in Thailand with no income.

Your friend has serious problems indeed, and I wish him well. Having said that, you have never mentioned his age. If he has been here 12 years, has he always manged to be legal and self supporting? Is he over 50?

BTW, whether his wife is from a bar or not is irrelevant because as we all know any marriage can fail. 

Wrong Plan!!! In my opinion, he should buy a one-way ticket to his home country, go to the airport as fast as possible, pay the overstay fine and see what they will stamp in his passport.

Then back in his home country, he can apply for the proper Visa and see whether he gets it and can come back. If not (if he would be blacklisted), he is at least in a place where he CAN look for work and where social security networks would help him survive and maybe send small money to his family also for survival.

The option... stuck in Mukdaharn... no money to go any place... no chance to get a job and earn money... and the family at his side starving... that is really really really the dumbest thing to do. 

• Like 2

Wrong Plan!!! In my opinion, he should buy a one-way ticket to his home country, go to the airport as fast as possible, pay the overstay fine and see what they will stamp in his passport.

Then back in his home country, he can apply for the proper Visa and see whether he gets it and can come back. If not (if he would be blacklisted), he is at least in a place where he CAN look for work and where social security networks would help him survive and maybe send small money to his family also for survival.

The option... stuck in Mukdaharn... no money to go any place... no chance to get a job and earn money... and the family at his side starving... that is really really really the dumbest thing to do. 

It seems he is financially unable to spend the thousands of baht on a ticket back to his homeland (wherever?) But your warning is right on. Sadly he seems to be between a rock and a hard place

He hasnt the money to fly home. And no family there. The social in the uk will make him wait 3 months before he can claim as well. If he's not let back in at least there's the option of going to Cambodia and teaching there.

If he does it soon he will not be blacklisted. At the moment their is no chance that he will have a problem paying the fine and leaving.

Also where do you think he will get the money for the trip to the UK. Info posted indicates he dos not have it.

Thais need a passport now

Who said that. It is not true for the Lao border.

It was on the thread that mario provided the link for, about getting a non o in there.

I see nothing in that topic but supposition with no support..

• Like 1

It's not a few hundred bucks though it if he gets stuck in Laos and not allowed back? He has the 20k and cash to fly to Laos or Malaysia, then what if he cant come back? He has a job, 35K a month, but he wont if he's stuck elsewhere will he?
If he had family or friends to ask Im sure he would have 18 months ago...

He has a illegal job. Not a real job

He hasnt the money to fly home. And no family there. The social in the uk will make him wait 3 months before he can claim as well. If he's not let back in at least there's the option of going to Cambodia and teaching there.

I hear you... but then my question is why he does not leave wife and kid back in Thailand while he tries to find a way out of his dilemma... at least, they would be in a place where family, friends, neighbours or even monks might help them to eat and survive, where people speak the same language and can understand the problems... Thai are very good at helping each other out and normally don't let each other starve to death... this would be completely different in a foreign country where they (wife and child) definitely can not rely on any help other than your friend who might not be able to provide that help.. 

Non o in laos for visiting family I needed Childs birth certificate, GF´s birth certificate her ID card and house book with mother and childs name on it. 

as well as the rest of the usual visa stuff. Copies have to be signed, originals have to be shown. No financials were asked for. I went as recent as 3 weeks ago.