Australia to move detained asylum group onshore

webfact

Australia to move detained asylum group onshore

CANBERRA: -- A group of 157 asylum seekers detained at sea will be brought to the Australian mainland for processing, Australia's immigration minister says.

The group have been held at sea by customs officials for almost a month.

Rights groups had voiced serious concerns about their treatment.

The case came to light earlier this month as Australia detained a separate boat of Sri Lankan asylum seekers, screened their asylum claims at sea and returned them to Sri Lanka.

Human rights activists filed a legal challenge aimed at preventing similar handling of this second group of people.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28478658

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-25

"The group have been held at sea by customs officials for almost a month."

Can you imagine if Thai Customs (or more probably Immigrations) did this with people found to be in Thailand illegally through overstay? The Thai Visa chorus would be squealing about this sort of thing never happening in "civilized" countries (i.e. Farang Land).

OK I'm Australian. I have always wondered why the illegal immigrants don't go to places like Thailand. Is it because the Thai immigration would be so less accepting. Maybe its because AU has a high standard of living. I sympathize with their plight but this is bad way to leap frog the process. Also hells bells au human rights group launch so many legal appeals. And yes with MY TAXES!!

• Like 1

"The group have been held at sea by customs officials for almost a month."

Can you imagine if Thai Customs (or more probably Immigrations) did this with people found to be in Thailand illegally through overstay? The Thai Visa chorus would be squealing about this sort of thing never happening in "civilized" countries (i.e. Farang Land).

well I am all for what Australia did at least they was not locked up and returned, they will get there application considered

OK I'm Australian. I have always wondered why the illegal immigrants don't go to places like Thailand. Is it because the Thai immigration would be so less accepting. Maybe its because AU has a high standard of living. I sympathize with their plight but this is bad way to leap frog the process. Also hells bells au human rights group launch so many legal appeals. And yes with MY TAXES!!

We really need to get over this they're que jumpers leap frogging the process, whatever the process is? What would you do in their situation wait for the bureaucrats to look after you, while the bullets fly and the bombs explode. I know this particular group of people are from Sri Lanka a country with a questionable human rights record trying to get to another country that is rapidly gaining a questionable human rights record. At the end of the day it's vote buying, vote for Tony he will keep the country free of those creepy foreigners, Hmmn sounds like another country we know.

• Like 2

Shame shame shame...holding people in limbo at sea because the government hasn't followed international law. I love Australia and I hate this lack of compassion. Not every boat person is a con artist.

Sorry but I agree with holding them at sea.....Have you ever visited Sri-Lanka?....

They are all con artists, and thats what they will end up doing in OZ.....bring it(oz) down to their level...a dirty slum.

Send them Back !!!....Tell them there is free ice-cream and dole money in Indonesia as well from August 2014.......Tell them anything to deter them from coming.

Australias got enough of it's own problems, without entertaining que jumpers.....

• Like 2

My statement had F all about whether I personally agree with Sri Lankans or Indians and whether I think they are slimy. It's about whether I think holding people at sea is an answer.

And let's be frank...you know absolutely nothing about the origins of each boat person. That's the whole point, there is a process to follow to determine the veracity of each persons claim. That process doesn't have to be carried out at sea. This is happening like this so that Abott can be seen to be living up to his word. It's purely political.

Con artists should be sent back ..no doubt, but mixed with that trash are genuine refugees that need help.

As far as I remember Aussies pride themselves on lending a hand and being fair dinkum.

• Like 1