Satelite Dish

mraitchison

Depends what you want. I use GMMZ a box and 12 months subscription to their gold channel ranges from 1995-2490baht depending were you buy. About 5-6 channels in English.

http://www.gmmz.tv/home.php

You just plug existing cable into it. Connects to TV by either HDMI or AV cables.

For further channels I use Expat TV 600b per months. It is internet TV. Uk channels.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

You can use for True or one of the other Ku band services depending on which sat it is pointed at (78 deg is ThaiSat) and that has most channels for GMM/PSI and such box.  Many use the True dish at 75cm is slightly larger than normal but it will still be subject to rain fade.  Believe will get about 70-90 channels.  For no rain fade/300 channels the C-Band antenna (open black mesh) at about 1.5 meters is needed.  Be aware most offer free service as well as pay service - you just have to buy the receiver box.

I want to get American football games ( NFL and NCAA), which company should I go to?

I wrote a free NCAA for the XBMC media center which you can get on XBMCHUB on this link http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threads/20872-Release-MX-NCAA-HD-Pac-12-video-addon and it works well here in Bangkok .. It is free so enjoy it .. 

I want to get American football games ( NFL and NCAA), which company should I go to?

I wrote a free NCAA for the XBMC media center which you can get on XBMCHUB on this link http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threads/20872-Release-MX-NCAA-HD-Pac-12-video-addon and it works well here in Bangkok .. It is free so enjoy it .. 

Recommended. Thanks also joncl for getting the Sky News HD stream back up and running along with the other news sources. Much appreciated in our household.

Go to a shop and buy the box. There were some on special offer at Tesco lotus and BigC. 1995baht usual price 2,500b
With 12 months gold package included.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

I'd add my vote to the Internet idea:

http://wwitv.com

I remember times, on wwitv, like watching the Nasa Channel - when I got to sit live under the belly of one of the last Shuttles, from liftoff from ground, right through to jettison of the main fuel tank.

No adverts to get in my way, and not having someone else trying to take over the TeleVision at such a critical moment...

Go to a shop and buy the box. There were some on special offer at Tesco lotus and BigC. 1995baht usual price 2,500b

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do I have to have a satellite dish for this. If I wanted the Platinum package do I buy a gold box and upgrade or is there a platinum box bought separately.

I have no idea on this subject just relied on True ended up cancelling it was rubbish and overpriced.

Do I have to have a satellite dish for this. If I wanted the Platinum package do I buy a gold box and upgrade or is there a platinum box bought separately.

I have no idea on this subject just relied on True ended up cancelling it was rubbish and overpriced.

Just use your existing True dish. Buy a gold box and pay the platinum upgrade each month. Information is on the gmmz website.

Have my new box.

Tested it in BKK before heading up country, on the 1.5 True dish and it worked fine.

Got up country, I can only pick up a few of the  channels.

I'm getting 98% singal and 80% on KU_6 and on Thai com (and the other one satellite) I'm getting 98% singal only 5% -basicaly the top bar is full, the bottom one isn't.

It's an old red round True dish which has been there a good few years.

Is an upgrade required

Have my new box.
Tested it in BKK before heading up country, on the 1.5 True dish and it worked fine.

Got up country, I can only pick up a few of the  channels.

I'm getting 98% singal and 80% on KU_6 and on Thai com (and the other one satellite) I'm getting 98% singal only 5% -basicaly the top bar is full, the bottom one isn't.

It's an old red round True dish which has been there a good few years.

Is an upgrade required

Dunno. When I first plugged mine in it downloaded something and seemed to set itself up.

Had a look at mine. It showed the option of 3 satellites. Also when I hit the transponder button that gave a long list. Dunno what they do though.

I just thought. When you say you only pick up some. Do you mean you only see some channels OR are you being told that you it is "pay channel "

Did you call GMMZ to register the gold subscription?

Called them, 

we only pick up some channels the rest are scrambled or unwatchable. I suspect a newer upgraded dish is in order from having read around, but I shall wait and see. Not that fussed for myself, but the kid likes a bit of cartoons and baby tv

Called them, 

we only pick up some channels the rest are scrambled or unwatchable. I suspect a newer upgraded dish is in order from having read around, but I shall wait and see. Not that fussed for myself, but the kid likes a bit of cartoons and baby tv

Ok.weird .. maybe just get a satellite guy out. They aren't expensive. I even saw satellite dish parts in BigC.

You should be getting Warner. Fox and some Geo channels. Of ya not. I wonder if they actually updated the box. Maybe do a reset so it can download for your new position. I remember you said you tested it in Bkk.

When you say True 1.5 are you talking about a C-Band antenna?  The normal .6 to .75 solid dish is Ku band with much fewer channels available (from about 300 to 70 or so).   GMM box can be used with either system (unlike most others) so if you want the additional channels perhaps install a mesh type C-Band antenna - cost is only a few thousand baht.  This would also work much better in the rain.

If I already have a dish , and now I want to get American football games ( NFL and NCAA), which company should I go to?

If you want NCAA and NFL they are being broadcast on ASN and True currently holds the contract.  I have the Platnium package, cost 2155.15 baht per month, channel 677.  They are currently broadcasting re-runs of last years NCAA season prior to live coverage after the start of the season.

The first televised NFL pregame is tomorrow AUG 3 (Aug 4 here), Giants vs  Bills (NBC) but it's not on any listing here.  The next televised game is on Aug 15 but ASN's schedule doesn't go that far.

Something is bust

Our strength on Ku Thaicom is 92% but the quality is now flipping between 5% and 55% - whereas yesterday is was a solid 80% quality.

I will track down a satellite engineer this week. 

Sometimes I get a bar of blue numbers bouncing around the menu screen for a minute

Edited by mraitchison

I can only get KU band.

I suspect a new dish is in order - not sure if the wooden house will take a 1.5m dish hanging off it.

We can get time warner hd, but it is only pixelated and broken up, signal is poor.

Actually they are not heavy at all and have little wind resistance as are mesh - but it does sound like you have a defective connection between your box and the LNB on dish so getting that fixed may help you.  It may also be position of dish/LNB so best to have someone with turning equipment make a check.

I can only get KU band.

I suspect a new dish is in order - not sure if the wooden house will take a 1.5m dish hanging off it.

We can get time warner hd, but it is only pixelated and broken up, signal is poor.

Actually they are not heavy at all and have little wind resistance as are mesh - but it does sound like you have a defective connection between your box and the LNB on dish so getting that fixed may help you.  It may also be position of dish/LNB so best to have someone with turning equipment make a check.

A dish don't go bad unless physically damaged somehow...it's just a hunk of metal to reflect frequency waves. Could be your dish alignment...is it securely attached to your home?  You can max out the signal gain and as minor dish movements are continued to see if you can get even more gain you will notice little if any further gain occurs; however, your quality level can change quite a bit with the final, minor dish alignments.  That final tweaking/alignment can have a big impact on quality level.    It's like you have a wider tolerance of dish alignment to get the max gain but a smaller tolerance for max quality.   Weaker channels are easily affected...in fact you should finalize your dish gain and quality alignment on a weak channel.   I have installed and adjusted C and KU band dishes on my home and my in-laws....that final tweaking for max quality can make a big difference on weak channels/when your overall signal reception strength is low due to your location, bad weather, etc.  And of course you don't want anything obstructing the line of sight between your dish and satellite...and for a KU band dish the line of sight is actually at a higher angle than what you visually think is correct since a KU band dish is an "offset" dish (notice how the LNB is not pointing at the center of the dish) compared to a C band dish which is a "prime focus" dish (correct line of sight is as you visually see it and LNB pointing at center of dish).

Edited by Pib