Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

While you correct yourself later in your post, let's make it clear that the PR in Thailand is NOT permanent. If it were, you wouldn't have to apply for a visa and endorsement every time (or once a year) you leave the country. This is a major flaw in the Thai PR system and highly annoying. I once almost lost my PR because I had forgotten to get these stupid stamps. Luckily that was in the morning on a weekday, and I could jump over from Suvarnabhumi to CW and back in time to catch the evening flight. Missed one business meeting in Vietnam, though. Sure, if you know for a fact that you will never travel again until the end of your life, you won't need the visa and endorsement, but that case is too rare to claim that this is the rule.

The other major flaw is that PR holders still need work permits. And then there is a long list of minor ones.

QUOTE:  "While you correct yourself later in your post, let's make it clear that the...."

I don't but that argument, you're just seaching for anything you can to twist ...

38 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Quote: "...you wouldn't have to apply for a visa and endorsement every time (or once a year) you leave the country. ..."

It's been said before by snr. Immigration officials that this shouldn't be labellled as a Visa, it should be labelled as something like a processing number.

Endorsement is nothing more than repeating the stamp and exact same details entered in the PR book into the holders passport. 

What I find annoying about this point is the cost 1,900Baht for less than 1 minute work to copy a few numbers from the PR book to the passport. What a rip off.

Why does the stamp say "Non-Quota Immigrant Visa" if it is not a visa? Anyway, the point is that you have to go get stamps (whatever you call them) before you leave the country, otherwise your PR will be automatically cancelled upon return. That's why it is not "permanent".

And let me inform you that the PR book (first one blue, next ones white) has no meaning whatsoever since the invention of computers. Immigration knows this; when we were allowed to use the auto gates at Suvarnabhumi for a brief period, we did not get an exit or entry stamp in your passport, and nobody wanted to see that useless book.

(I actually don't care about the fees, but that's just me.)

12 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Why does the stamp say "Non-Quota Immigrant Visa" if it is not a visa? Anyway, the point is that you have to go get stamps (whatever you call them) before you leave the country, otherwise your PR will be automatically cancelled upon return. That's why it is not "permanent".

And let me inform you that the PR book (first one blue, next ones white) has no meaning whatsoever since the invention of computers. Immigration knows this; when we were allowed to use the auto gates at Suvarnabhumi for a brief period, we did not get an exit or entry stamp in your passport, and nobody wanted to see that useless book.

(I actually don't care about the fees, but that's just me.)

Time to calm down...

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I know. Once I am Minister of the Interior, I will change everything. Until then, we'll just have to live with this. ????

Up to you.

Keep in mind that 99% of PR holders don't see a problem, just normal not difficult processing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One day the red book and the blue/white books will be replaced by smart card.  This will upset people whose job it is to issue these pointless documents. When will this happen? Could be next year or 20 years hence.  Is Anutin the man to shake things up? Probably not, or if he does it might not be to the advantage of PR holders, given his remarks about foreigners during COVID.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Arkady said:

One day the red book and the blue/white books will be replaced by smart card.  This will upset people whose job it is to issue these pointless documents. When will this happen? Could be next year or 20 years hence.  Is Anutin the man to shake things up? Probably not, or if he does it might not be to the advantage of PR holders, given his remarks about foreigners during COVID.

Yes, this is another issue. Even the pink ID card we have is only in Thai, not bilingual and smart card like the Thai ID. It's the political will that is missing. <sigh>

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Yes, this is another issue. Even the pink ID card we have is only in Thai, not bilingual and smart card like the Thai ID. It's the political will that is missing. <sigh>

Hey you missed another point. Guess...

I recently travelled abroad with my PR. I went to Chaengwatthana before to get the endorsement and a multi entry reentry permit. 

question: is the above enough to travel abroad again? Or do I need to go to Chaengwatthana again to get another endorsement (because only the reentry permit has multiple entries)? 

12 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I recently travelled abroad with my PR. I went to Chaengwatthana before to get the endorsement and a multi entry reentry permit. 

question: is the above enough to travel abroad again? Or do I need to go to Chaengwatthana again to get another endorsement (because only the reentry permit has multiple entries)? 

The visa in your passport does not say "multiple"? Let me check my passport when I get home tonight.

24 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Sounds like a mistake. Unless something has changed since I last did it before becoming a citizen, you should have the multi in your passport. I just double checked my old passport.  You better go back to CW and get it corrected.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

The visa in your passport does not say "multiple"? Let me check my passport when I get home tonight.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Sounds like a mistake. Unless something has changed since I last did it before becoming a citizen, you should have the multi in your passport. I just double checked my old passport.  You better go back to CW and get it corrected.

Maybe it does. Let me check later. 

I guess my confusion is from the fact that I had the option to choose between a single entry and multiple entry re-entry permit (and I picked the latter) but as far as I remember the endorsement didn’t have such option but they asked me for specific travel dates?! On the other hand I would hope that the multi entry re-entry permit gives me the ability to leave and re-enter over a course of a year (otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to pay for it).  

23 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I guess my confusion is from the fact that I had the option to choose between a single entry and multiple entry re-entry permit (and I picked the latter) but as far as I remember the endorsement didn’t have such option but they asked me for specific travel dates?! On the other hand I would hope that the multi entry re-entry permit gives me the ability to leave and re-enter over a course of a year (otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to pay for it).  

Non-Quota Immigrant Visa states Multiple, as per the application form on which there is a choice. If you have a multiple on your NQIV in your passport then you can travel overseas every day until the day to be utilised by.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, cocoonclub said:

The stamp in my passport says: "This visa is good for Multiple return Journey(s) to Thailand. It must be utilized before...(date stamp) if passport remains valid."

The word "multiple" is a stamp within that visa stamp.

Also kindly note that I have used visas in expired passports before, I do not apply for a new visa when my passport expires but carry the new passport (without visa) and the old (expired) passport with the visa. Never had a problem with that.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:15 PM, MRtommyR said:

Sorry I did not see your question until now. It took around 4 months to get registered. Eventually I had to hand deliver the district office's letter to the immigration department. There were an awful lot of documents they had to prepare to put me in the blue book but eventually it was done. Takes a lot of persistence 

I am glad you have it done successfully , 4 months is really way too long... In my case, i waited about 2 weeks or so, and then was invited back to the district office  and had the interview done. Relatively smooth for me.

Any PR holder have the experience to help family members(I mean parents here) to apply for Non-O visa? Does it have to be extended every year or it can be the same validity as long as i have the PR? 

Is there any website or documents containing relevant information that I can refer to ?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, JS82 said:

Any PR holder have the experience to help family members(I mean parents here) to apply for Non-O visa? Does it have to be extended every year or it can be the same validity as long as i have the PR? 

Is there any website or documents containing relevant information that I can refer to ?

Thank you in advance.

There should not be a problem with a dependant visa and extension for one parent. They will probably not allow multiple dependants. The Non O visa as a dependant will have to be applied for at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand. The extension (at an immigration office in Thailand)  will need to be done annually, but should be relatively painless.

• 1 month later...

I have always been under the impression that to apply for PR you must have been working for a minimum of 3 years at the time of your application. Have the rules changed? I have just watched a you tubers video in which he claims that his lawyer told him he is 'entitled' to PR. He has lived in Thailand on retirement extensions as he freely admits. He is in the process of brushing up his Thai for the exam which he seems to think is the main requirement for PR. He does do an amount of charity work in the community, is this method a back door way to PR. Normally I would not comment but already people are messaging him for the name of the lawyer to inquire about PR, so getting their hopes up. Or is as rumours abound, a backdoor way to PR with a 'good' lawyer.

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I have always been under the impression that to apply for PR you must have been working for a minimum of 3 years at the time of your application. Have the rules changed? I have just watched a you tubers video in which he claims that his lawyer told him he is 'entitled' to PR. He has lived in Thailand on retirement extensions as he freely admits. He is in the process of brushing up his Thai for the exam which he seems to think is the main requirement for PR. He does do an amount of charity work in the community, is this method a back door way to PR. Normally I would not comment but already people are messaging him for the name of the lawyer to inquire about PR, so getting their hopes up. Or is as rumours abound, a backdoor way to PR with a 'good' lawyer.

Interesting, and i have no idea what he answer is, but i'll be keen to see a legitimate correct response.

I can share a case that I'm aware about 3 years back. I was in a large famous supermarket in Chiang mai and a western man and his wife approached me (both mid 30's) and asked me to join them in the s'market coffee shop for coffee and cake.

We sat down and they asked what visa I am on. I shared 'Permanent Residence, for 27 years'.

They shared some of their circumstances and it was obvious they were independently wealthy, they had been in Chiang Mai for over 2 years.

They shared that they were aiming to get PR and said their visa agent had told them:

- Any foreigner can automatically get PR if you have been in Thailand (never gone out) for 10 years, and

- When the 10 years in Thailand is achieved PR is issued to both husband and wife jointly,  and

- Visas issued in that 10 years must be done using one agent, cannot change the agent.

They asked If I would confirm this is all true.

I told them 'This is not the criteria / process as I know it, my knowledge nd experience is a minimum of 3 years of official continuous work permits and proof that personal Thai taxes have been assessed and paid for the same 3 year period.

They insisted I must be wrong.

I put them in touch with a lawyer friend who is well aware of this subject, and the lawyer showed them official documentation proving that '10 year in Thailand' is NOT the criteria.

The lawyer took them to another agent who had some work to do to sort out the many visa errors that had come into the picture.

As soon as possible they fled home to the US.

22 hours ago, stratocaster said:

It's almost certainly b******t but let's see the video please so we can be sure.

On 11/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, stratocaster said:

If I remember there were about 4 to 6 different paths to PR, investment, business, work and a few under humanity -family, kids etc and it can be achieved on very different basis from one person to another depending on which category they are applying with.

My own was based on the 3 year continuous tax category so the work category so cannot comment on the other paths. The Thai exam was very basic for me, did it from memory of short phrases linked to business, they did also ask about charity though so could to have some contribution to Thai society cards up your sleave.

21 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

it can be achieved on very different basis from one person to another depending on which category they are applying with.

Actually it's the opposite of what you suggest.The criteria are virtually identical in all categories.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 6:19 AM, stratocaster said:

Just in case anyone has been waiting for the lowdown on easy PR, here is the meeting result. Of course as with all vloggers it was just a heap of clickbait. The 10minute meeting with his farang "lawyer" who is not a lawyer but the general manager of a law firm turned out to be an advert for the law firm detailing how for a monthly retainer they would smooth your stay in Thailand. PR was never mentioned. Out of interest, the vlogger claims he is entitled to PR because married to a Thai citizen for 15 years, he brings in and spends more money than the average Joe and he speaks Thai reasonably well.

• Haha 1

Does anybody know whether the new auto-gates for foreigners are also good for PR holders? 

I am not asking because of the time - I would think the queues at the manual counters will be much shorter and besides, I usually go to the Thai counters anyway. I am asking because of the stamps filling up my passport (and this totally useless Residency Book), so I need to get a new one every 2-3 years.

No stamps would really be an improvement.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Does anybody know whether the new auto-gates for foreigners are also good for PR holders? 

I am not asking because of the time - I would think the queues at the manual counters will be much shorter and besides, I usually go to the Thai counters anyway. I am asking because of the stamps filling up my passport (and this totally useless Residency Book), so I need to get a new one every 2-3 years.

No stamps would really be an improvement.

Wow, a new book every 2 to 3 years, the world won't survive.