Those staying on ED Visa must now attend school 5 days a week

I think the retirement VISA/extensions will be gone too.

(or the money in the bank will be very high 2M or 3M)

What would be the advantage to Thailand in doing this? The Thai government still wants non-working farangs to live here and spend their imported money here.

It's only the ones with little money and/or who are working/staying illegally that they want to be rid of.

Whats the advantage in stopping back to back TRs or 30 day stamps.. Whats the advantage in stopping the friendly consuls who gave out 1 year non imms if you owned a condo or similar..

The exact same situation applies..

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this ends up being true... Those only looking for visas and not really wanting to study, may be better of getting Elite card...

52wks x 10hrs= 520 x 133.33 thb/hr = 69,331.60 THB

(Based on earlier post advising cost 24,000 thb for 180hrs)

Also since studying Thai only allows for 3 month extension...

3 x 1,900 thb (for additional extensions) = 5,700 thb

Now let's estimate travel cost to/from school... Will use THB 50 each way (although sure this will be more for some and less for others)

52 wks x 5 days per wk (OP) = 260 trips per yr x 100 = 26,000 thb

So all together...

69,331.6 + 5,700 + 26,000 = 101,031.60 thb per yr x 5 yrs = 505,158 thb

Thai Elite = 500,000 thb for 5 yr visa and and some other benefits...

• Like 1

I wrote before about this happening in Australia in the 90s---- Same problem.....slightly different solution, They were being inundated with Asians saying they were going to school --but heading to the beaches, Mainly Japanese, but lots of Indonesian/ Thai / Chinese mainly females as Australia was more Liberal in its approach to "Genuine" Students & allowed them to be able to also work 20 hours a week. . When the then government of the day clamped down on it -- the Asians answered with much the same vitriolic responses I see here..."Australia will go down hill---fast-- without our money" "This will affect your tourist coming here"....etc etc....many had boyfriends & were doing much the same as here, scrambling around looking for alternate visa's getting married etc. Australia took an extra 47,000 students in that year 1990https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=australia+closing+educational+visa+schools+1990s&

Of course 78% ( Australian figures ) were not attending, in fact most didn't even live in the state that had their school.

The people with the private schools were getting rich--so as Australia didn't have the man power Thailand does, that's where they concentrated, If a student didn't attend school a certain amount of hours & days a month, then the school was told to expel them, if it didn't, that school was shut down-- as many as 7 schools in 1 month in Melbourne were closed, The schools there still have to police their own students, or lose their license to be a school.

Well you can just imagine how sympathetic the average Australian was to the plight of the "Plastic Students" as the papers named them .......... oh yes weeping in the streets for them they were.......often wondered how many now live in Thailand..........coffee1.gif

Interesting to see the future if this rule will apply for all ED visas or only for those studying Thai language?!

In May next year I will start to study for a BA in rice technology at a government institute (college) all classes will be held on weekends as the Thai students are all working Monday to Friday. I wonder if they will have the same demand on me studying min 5 days * 2 hours/week or if 2 days * 5 hours will work as well!?