Military officers, ex-senators expected to have strong role: National Legislative Assembly

webfact

NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
Military officers, ex-senators expected to have strong role

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) will mostly comprise of active military officers and former senators, sources said yesterday.

The Armed Forces will nominate up to 140 officers to be part of the assembly, while most former senators will come an appointed group that fully supports the coup and the junta.

According to the provisional Constitution, an NLA can comprise of up to 220 members.

A source from the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), who asked not to be named, said NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha should submit the list of NLA members for royal endorsement after he has carefully considered the names. He should have the list ready for the royal stamp between Thursday and Sunday.

Jade Donavanik, dean of Faculty of Law at Dhurakij Pundit, said the NLA should set a new bar for quality deliberation that could challenge politicians.

"Someone has said politicians are the country's main problem. Their speeches always consist of inappropriate words. NLA members are like people's representatives. They should deliver a quality deliberation speech to set themselves apart from those with ill practices,'' he said.

The lawmakers should not fall into the trap of majority rule. They must work closely with the National Reform Council and establish clear targets including for public participation.

"Even if they are not direct representatives of the people, they have to ensure that there isn't a gap between them and the people,'' he said.

The NCPO might be having a tough time selecting representatives from various professional societies, the private sector and civic groups, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Military-officers-ex-senators-expected-to-have-str-30239805.html

[thenation]2014-07-30[/thenation]

So its gone from selecting a group of people representing all sectors of society, throughout the country, to selecting a group of military officers and ex senators.

If the article is accurate it does not exactly sound particularly representative on a national level.

Surely with the standards set so far the NCPO won't practice ' jobs for the boys '. giggle.gif

TimCM post # 7

The old guard are those that have now taken power from the people who they have no respect for. Same as they have done many times in the past. 

I would have thought that all these military people were busy doing their jobs but alas, they still have time to run a dictatorship too

The Shinwatra clan were those who took power from the people who they have no respect for. Same as they have done many times in the past 10 years. 

I would have thought that all these military people were busy doing their jobs but thankfully they still have time to run a benevolent to date dictatorship too

• Like 2

TimCM post # 7

The old guard are those that have now taken power from the people who they have no respect for. Same as they have done many times in the past. 

I would have thought that all these military people were busy doing their jobs but alas, they still have time to run a dictatorship too

The Shinwatra clan were those who took power from the people who they have no respect for. Same as they have done many times in the past 10 years. 

I would have thought that all these military people were busy doing their jobs but thankfully they still have time to run a benevolent to date dictatorship too

Parts of the south might disagree with you somewhat there.

So its gone from selecting a group of people representing all sectors of society, throughout the country, to selecting a group of military officers and ex senators.

If the article is accurate it does not exactly sound particularly representative on a national level.

You confuse the NRC with the NLA it would seem.

You confuse the NRC with the NLA it would seem.

I thought that when i was writing it, but my seethe was to strong to pull back.smile.png

As we all know none of them have power to do anything anyway, it would save a lot of time and money if Prayuth just ran the whole affair himself, rather than going through the rigmarole of appointing a load of people to put up a nice facade. 

TimCM post # 7

PM the defense minister along with Chalerm worked wonders in the south.   NOT,     so what is your answer to that ???

• Like 1

PM the defense minister along with Chalerm worked wonders in the south.   NOT,     so what is your answer to that ???

Ginjag, this is not about Charlerm or PTP, as people who say things like 'what about Suthep' in other threads are often told.

As it happens the previous Government did very little or nothing to help the situation.

The level of seriousness and deaths would suggest it is time for the military, you know the ones who are paid to protect the country might get involved, if they have time of course. I am sure board meetings at THAI, PTT etc can do without their renowned business acumen for a couple of months when they get on with what they are paid to be doing.   

• Like 2

Lets give them a chance and see how it works out, changes can be made as it goes along. I agree it does need to be representative, but how do you define that? From all regions, walks of life?

They have to start somewhere and then refine it as it goes along, so long as they are willing to do that, the people will watch and wait and see how it goes. Naturally there is a lot of military so they keep control to start with and likely sympathetic ex-senators, I would not read to much into that at this stage its what we expected, lets see how it evolvces.

So how do these NLA members become the People's representatives?

The military officers in the NLA are mainly the commanders of key agencies, especially from the Army. They include permanent secretary of defence General Surasak Kanjanarat, plus three of his deputies. The Supreme Commander, General Tanasak Patimapragorn, deputy army chiefs, the army aide-de-camp General Aksra Kerdphol, as well as the head of the Armed Forces Development Command are also on the list.

Others include the commanders and deputy commanders of the Army Region Commands and the commanders of the Army's 20 divisions as well as the Special Warfare Command and 13 other armed forces agencies.

Deputy commanders of the Navy and Air Force, plus aide-de-camps and advisers, and at least 10 senior police including General Adul Saengsingkaew would also be included as NLA members, the source said.

NCPO chief advisers including former defence minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, former Army chief General Anupong Paochinda and former deputy Army chief General Dapong Ratanasuwan would also be in the NLA, the source said.

Other big names such as Prayuth and Paiboon, Navy chief Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, Royal Thai Air Force chief ACM Prajin Juntong, and General Chatchai Sarikalya won't be in the NLA as they are expected to join in the Cabinet, with Prayuth as PM

Source: The Nation 2014-07-27

smutcakes post # 9

That is so,

Tak Bai was a rather interesting factor in enhancing  good relationships with Thailand's southern population in general was it not?whistling.gif

All I can say about this is , Smutcakes , Chris y 1, and Tim CM.....  and others of the same ilke, There's the door.... w00t.gif 

Wow. You don't like it so you go home. 

Did your B500 girlfriend teach you that one

ps. North Korea is that way 

Edited by TimCM

smutcakes post # 9

That is so,

Tak Bai was a rather interesting factor in enhancing  good relationships with Thailand's southern population in general was it not?whistling.gif

Tak Bai and Krue Se are interesting examples of state genocide. I would not class myself as much of a Thaksin fan, but at the time I fully supported Thaksin's iron fist approach to extinguish religious fanatics that were going around willy-nilly murdering schoolchildren and their teachers. But Thaksin, being Thaksin, had to do what he does best. Throw up a smokescreen to hide his "man in charge at the scene" status, a smokescreen so well done that even the exclusive Cherwell clique on Thaivisa lapped up the BS and to this day try to deny his responsibility.

So whilst all these high ranking military people will be running the country who is looking after the Military, Somchia the cook?  Let's hope the gauls don't come over hill as the military are busy with other things.

• Like 1

chooka post # 25

So whilst all these high ranking military people will be running the country who is looking after the Military, Somchia the cook?  Let's hope the gauls don't come over hill as the military are busy with other things.

Dinna worry youself aboot they Gauls sonny

I'll take the high road and Mc'gregor will take the low road and we'll be awa in Bangkok afore ye.cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Highlander.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

The Gauls

Have you been watching Spartacus again Chooka thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

To all those who decried Yingluck's lack of experience in politics as she came to take the top job some years ago:

They are filling the cabinet and legislative assembly with soldiers. Are ye worried yet?

No.

• Like 1