27,000 Russians stranded as tour firm Labirint fails

webfact

Many Russians stranded as tour firm Labirint fails

(BBC) As many as 27,000 Russian tourists are stranded abroad after a Russian tour firm, Labirint, suspended operations.

A company statement (in Russian) blamed the move on a deterioration in the rouble exchange rate and the "negative political and economic situation".

There are signs that EU-US sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine crisis are hurting the wider economy, including Western investment in Russia.

A Russian tycoon says his executive jet is grounded because of US sanctions.

Billionaire businessman Gennady Timchenko - close to President Vladimir Putin - told Russia's Itar-Tass news agency (in Russian) that Gulfstream was no longer servicing his jet and the pilots were not allowed to use its navigation equipment.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28637794

[bbc]2014-08-05[/bbc]

• Like 1

Ruble 2nd time all low over 12 months against Baht buying at 0.75 selling at 1.00 next few weeks could see a further fall. change your rubles know before the bottom drops out.

only totally stupid ignorant Russians change Rubles in Thailand. presently they buy Dollars with Rubles at a rate of ~36 and change these Dollars into Baht. actual exchange rate THB 0.89 per RUR.

A lot of nice people on holiday paying the price for the actions of their leaders.  Pretty typical, unfortunately.

Should make them rethink to blindly support those leaders.

how many Russians have you met who told you that they blindly support their leaders? coffee1.gif

A lot of nice people on holiday paying the price for the actions of their leaders.  Pretty typical, unfortunately.

how many Russians have you met who told you that they blindly support their leaders? coffee1.gif

I don't have political discussions with any Russians, but whenever I open a newspaper I can read that Putin has an enormous support for his war in Ukraine, and that war is the main reason for this article.

Maybe not support, but firmly believe what they are told:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/04/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

They say they believe separatists who have told them the Ukrainian army are American-backed fascists, set on attacking ethnic Russians.

"They crush us, the damn Americans. What are they doing? Where there is war in the world, they have a part," one woman said.

Of course the last statement could be a bit true, unfortunately!

A Russian tycoon says his executive jet is grounded because of US sanctions.

Doesn't it just ruin your day when that happens.

The poor guy... One has little alternative but to charter a commercial or, worse yet, travel first class with the rest of the peons when that happens.

I don't have political discussions with any Russians, but whenever I open a newspaper I can read that Putin has an enormous support for his war in Ukraine, and that war is the main reason for this article.

so the journalists of the newspapers you read have asked an "enormously" high number of Russians whether they support Putin and "his" war in the Ukraine?

if yes, what was the percentage of Russians they interviewed? around 10%, i.e. 15 million?  

• Like 1

Well, maybe during the time their travel and economy is restricted, they could spent the free time on learning to drive and behaving more nicely. thumbsup.gif

where does it say that their travel and their economy is restricted?

so the journalists of the newspapers you read have asked an "enormously" high number of Russians whether they support Putin and "his" war in the Ukraine?

if yes, what was the percentage of Russians they interviewed? around 10%, i.e. 15 million?  

I couldn't care less how many people they asked, but I'm confident that there article will be based on more facts than your pedantic comments.

• Like 1

Politics, it really boils down to which side of the fence you are sitting. In Ukraine, the fight is over a "buffer zone" between Russia and Europe with an important Russian Naval base in jeopardy. The Ukrainians and the ordinary Russians are just pawns in a political game.

• Like 1

Now, now, there is plenty of blame to go around... Uncle Sugar is far from innocent in this little Kabuki dance... As always, follow the money, or oil / gas in this case... 

or NATO establishing medium range ballistic missile basis directly at  Russia's western border?

Could it be that NATO has a reason for that, or is it just that you would like to be able to blame NATO for not protecting us if something happens ?