is everyone right handed in los

opalred

Judging by the amount of board members who have married Thai lefties I would guess that the percentage of lefties in Thailand is greater than in the UK.

That's probably why all of the potato peelers in the supermarkets seem to be left handed, I have to go to a department store to find a right handed one.

Mr. Amusements, the term Southpaw can also be used for right handed boxers who lead with their right, I myself am a right handed Southpaw.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a kid, I was ambidextrous, but teachers and parents tried to teach me to be right-handed. I am right handed now for most things, ambidextrous for some things, but can only box south paw.

I can use left handed chopsticks with my right hand, too!

Judging by the amount of board members who have married Thai lefties I would guess that the percentage of lefties in Thailand is greater than in the UK.

That's probably why all of the potato peelers in the supermarkets seem to be left handed, I have to go to a department store to find a right handed one.

Mr. Amusements, the term Southpaw can also be used for right handed boxers who lead with their right, I myself am a right handed Southpaw.

Ahh..another one. Right hand but box south paw. Do you find it nearly impossible to lead with your left? I just find the stance and the lead so very clumsy and uncomfortable.

My kicking foot is my right though.

Were you ambidextrous as a child? Sometimes write with the right, and sometimes with the left etc?

As a matter of interest...are you good at chess? (there's a theory behind my question)

Edited by Seastallion

Ahh..another one. Right hand but box south paw. Do you find it nearly impossible to lead with your left? I just find the stance and the lead so very clumsy and uncomfortable.

Were you ambidextrous as a child? Sometimes write with the right, and sometimes with the left etc?

As a matter of interest...are you good at chess? (there's a theory behind my question)

Yes it is difficult to lead with my left and an orthodox stance is very clumsy and uncomfortable.

Last time that I actually boxed was over 25 years ago but i still train on my heavy bag regularly and despite regular bag work for all of this time, I still cannot change my stance.

The few times that I have tried to change the habit, my timing coordination and balance were all off kilter.

I also found that being a southpaw does hold a lot of advantages, most orthodox boxers don't know how to handle a southpaw and the few southpaws that I have fought against were also thrown by my stance.

Being a right handed southpaw also holds one more major advantage, someone boxing against a southpaw will naturally think that they are against a leftie and therefore expect all of the power to come from the left cross but the real power is in the right hand punch that follows the left cross.

Never been ambidextrous, I feel as awkward writing with my left hand as I do leading with it.

The chess thing, I have not played for many years but I am quite good.

However, this probably stems from the fact that I was taught by my father and in his youth he was the chess champion of 3 counties.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

So ... is the correct term for a 'Lefty' is a 'South Paw'?

i thought " south paw " was only a term for left handed boxers ....

i,m left handed , and my hand writting is crap , because you push the pen not

pull it , any body else have the same prob ? or am i just lazy ?

in cheshire , u.k we leftys were called " keggy handed "

I write right handed, but write like a left handed person if that makes sense. Certain sports I am left handed,; pool, darts, shooting, archery and football (footed). But play Cricket, Hockey right handed - bloody confusing. Both my parents are left handed. 

I write right handed, but write like a left handed person if that makes sense. Certain sports I am left handed,; pool, darts, shooting, archery and football (footed). But play Cricket, Hockey right handed - bloody confusing. Both my parents are left handed. 

So, are you saying that both you AND Mrs T are left handed.

That a 0ne in a Hundred possibility ...  w00t.gif

If you were an Surfer, you would be a 'goofy footer'.

I used to teach kids water-sking ... I was good at this, patient with kids, good on double skies ... absolute crap on a single ski much to my embarrassment.

To discover the dominate foot we would casually walk behind the child and give them a gentle 'nudge' forward (all PC and the like).

The foot or leg they lead with was their favoured or dominate foot.

Right handers are usually right footers.

Just my mileage ...

I am mixed, I can't call myself ambidextrous as some stuff i am right handed, others left handed. Mrs T is Left handed. Little T is Left Handed. 

Now I'm even more confused 

I am mixed, I can't call myself ambidextrous as some stuff i am right handed, others left handed. Mrs T is Left handed. Little T is Left Handed. 

Now I'm even more confused 

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/06/science/the-toad-shows-that-handedness-is-not-exclusive-to-the-higher-orders.html

• Like 1

Yes it is difficult to lead with my left and an orthodox stance is very clumsy and uncomfortable.

Last time that I actually boxed was over 25 years ago but i still train on my heavy bag regularly and despite regular bag work for all of this time, I still cannot change my stance.

The few times that I have tried to change the habit, my timing coordination and balance were all off kilter.

I also found that being a southpaw does hold a lot of advantages, most orthodox boxers don't know how to handle a southpaw and the few southpaws that I have fought against were also thrown by my stance.

Being a right handed southpaw also holds one more major advantage, someone boxing against a southpaw will naturally think that they are against a leftie and therefore expect all of the power to come from the left cross but the real power is in the right hand punch that follows the left cross.

Never been ambidextrous, I feel as awkward writing with my left hand as I do leading with it.

The chess thing, I have not played for many years but I am quite good.

However, this probably stems from the fact that I was taught by my father and in his youth he was the chess champion of 3 counties.

I am exactly the same in my boxing and find the same advantages.

I surf with either foot leading...yet can only kick a rugby ball with my right. So odd.

The chess question was about the fact that chess uses both sides of the brain. The analytical and the spatial aspects. I have a hunch that ambidextousness is associated. I'm pretty good and I too was taught by my dad...he wasn't a competitive player, but he did used to play me blindfolded.

• Like 1

Shortly before entering first grade, I broke my right arm in two places.  When it was time to write something in Sister Henrietta's class, I told her I couldn't write.  She put a pencil in my left hand and told me to write.  Because she was Sister Henrietta, I did as I was told.

I write with my left hand, use chopsticks with my left.....but most everything else, I do with my right hand.

Thank you, Sister Henrietta, for screwing up my life!